Author Topic: More cat food issues! Your thoughts please!  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
More cat food issues! Your thoughts please!
« on: November 24, 2004, 03:50:52 PM »
Well have been doing major research here to try and find something that is not only affordable to feed but healthy as well.  I can get a hold of Eagle or Wellness canned but at the prices the stores here are willing to give me it would cost me $80 a month to feed two cats.  Tried to find an online retailer for pet food but not easy to do as I am in Canada and doesn't make sense to try and ship the food over the border.  At the moment I have been trying to research every canned food I can find and am categorizing into either no or yes, just in case I come across something that is a good deal I can just refer to my list.  There are too many foods now that have Nature and Natural in the name and some really don't live up to the name  :-\   Also what are your thoughts on foods that have good ingredients except the first ingredient is a meat broth.  For example this ingredient list:  Chicken Broth, Chicken, Cod, Turkey, Beef, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Ground Rice, Oat Bran, Rice Bran, DL-Methionine, Gear Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Carrageenan, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Niacin, D-Calcium, Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,
Riboflavin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin

I bought some Urban Carnivore, which would be affordable here if I could get them onto it.  At this time I am feeding a dry food meal in the morning and some canned mixed with raw in the evening.  If they don't eat they don't eat.  They get their dry food the next morning and then the canned/raw in the evening.  This was suggested to me by a holistic vet in the city who strongly advocates raw.  I have read so much about cats that go on and off their raw food diet though that I am feeling a little pessimistic about that as I don't want a constant fight on my hands.  At this point I am wishing I could just feed canned if I could find something affordable.  Someone give me your thoughts on this as something needs changing. 

Here is a picture of my big girl (after a bath).  She just turned 7, at last weigh in she was just about 19 lbs.  She is a big girl in general but still too heavy now.  She can't clean her hind end properly and she does have fairly bad dandruff and an oily coat (assuming from now being able to clean properly).  We have been battling her weight for years already.  Vet has suggested a reducing diet but I don't like that idea too much, seems extreme.  She is perfectly healthy otherwise.

This is my other girl Targa, she has a tiny bit extra at 12 lbs but she has maintained her weight for years already only going up and down a little.  She also thinks that raw is the most disgusting thing in the world.

Here is a good angle to see the difference between the two of them (Targa is a little spread out because of the way she is laying, she is not actually that big.  Gypsy is this big, as she is laying on her side)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 06:54:12 PM by Tamara »