Author Topic: weird... scaley dandruffy crap on my cat's armpits and abdomen.  (Read 3966 times)

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
weird... scaley dandruffy crap on my cat's armpits and abdomen.
« on: December 07, 2004, 03:26:28 PM »
alright, her appointment's thursday. 

My kitty kitty has something weird going on...  I've NEVER seen it before.  She started a couple weeks ago and at first I thought it was just odd dandruff, brushed and bathed her, but now it's getting worse. 

Basically, when I first noticed it, I freaked out and thought that these scaly scabs were WORMS!!  they look long, brown colored, and come from the skin up off.  they're located only under her armpits and on her abdomen.  her pits feel moist as well.  her fur on her abdomen is also severely yellowing from this. 

At first I thought mites, then mange, then ringworm..  there are no scabs, has been no hair loss, this isn't located in just one or two splotches, ,this is just an overall even infestation?   

What on earth is it?  I just need to know what preventative measures need to be ensured so she does'nt give it to the other pets.....  if it even IS contagious.

she also has fleas despite advantage treatment, and constant flea spraying in the house and flea combing her....   as well as ear mites that keep coming back after vet treatment... wtf?!?!?   the apartment isn't exactly dirty, I clean regularly and we haven't lived here long enough for there to really be much of an infestation anyway, AND I FREAKING clean andn spray for fleas as it is!!  I check the other pets and they're completely fine!   I did find 1 cat flea on my bunny after brushing, but that was it....  no one else has these problems.. wtf again!!

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
Re: weird... scaley dandruffy crap on my cat's armpits and abdomen.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 03:32:04 PM »
looks like a type of fungal infection from descriptionns so far... I'm still researching but I guess ringworm shouldn't be ruled out

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 03:56:38 PM »
My first thoughts are fungal infection, or yeast infection.  Or, possibly, an allergy to fleas?  We had a cat that used to get awful scabs when she got fleas...

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 04:50:41 PM »
perhaps...

this is what I get for getting a "free kitten" ... they all looked nasty back then but who knew it'd be so much work just DEbugging her????

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 05:21:49 PM »
Do you have a black light? If you hold the black light up to the scabby area (under low light) it will glow if its a fungal infection.

When we adopted Neko he came to us with ringworm and on him they were just bald spots, about two in completely different areas. The vet did a skin scraping and confirmed it and with meds he was better in no time.

good luck with your kitty!

Offline sunshine9

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 06:23:40 PM »
Only one type of ringworm will glow under black light so it isn't completely diagnostic.  Your vet would have to do a fungal culture.

Also if the advantage doesn't seem to be working then I would move onto a new treatment. 

She could have a mite such as cheyeltiella.  It doesn't burrow deep, it's a surface mite. 

Also, her yellow skin, is it only on her abdomen or is all of her skin yellow? 
Deirdre and the Brat Pack-OSED Simon, OSED Theodore, ANR Blizzard, Peanut, Pepper, OSED Mocha, Java, and Houdini
R.I.P-Sunshine and Sweet Pea

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »
You might try buying a bottle of the Frontline spray to get rid of the fleas, as opposed to the drops.  It works really well....  We had a guy come in with a dog COVERED in hundreds of ticks when I worked at the vet, and we took that bottle and sprayed him from head to toe, and the ticks started dropping off in minutes.

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 03:39:24 PM »
only her abdomen and armpits are turned yellow.. she is a blue lynx point siamese so her fur's a creamy color (not white). 

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 02:48:52 PM »
It's Thursday, so I figured I'd check and see how the vet appointment went.  Did they find anything?  How is the poor baby feeling?

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 10:56:11 AM »
sorry I forgot about this forum... ack!

anyway, the vet gave me some frontline instead of advantage this time and for some reason it seemed to work... along with the fleas though, the weird scabs went away as well.  vet said it had to do withthe fleas, but I've NEVER EVER seen that before in my entire life!!!

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 11:33:02 PM »
They must be different formulas or something.
I'm glad everything turned out good though. :)
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 10:14:32 PM »
Hooray!  It sounds very similar to what one of my cats used to have, when she had flea allergies.  So, I'd recommend keeping the kitty on Frontline so as to prevent a recurrence for sure.   :)