Author Topic: will he learn?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline SilverTycho

• Posts Too Much!
will he learn?
« on: December 14, 2004, 11:52:37 AM »
My 6.5 month kitten currently has to live in my room.  I know by instincts he has to know what growling and hissing mean because he did that after his neuter when he was confused.  However, he just doesn't seem to get it.  If he gets out of my room, he'll insist on playing with the 5 other big cats.  The only one that now tolerates (maybe even likes) him is the big male, who'll now clean Harley even.  But, the other cats hate him.  None of them like other animals.  They tolerate each other and don't fight, as long as no one bothers each other.  But Harley will take off and leap right onto Angel, for example (a very sweet, only towards humans, 10-13lbs tabby girl).  She hits him and growls and hisses, but he'll still insist on playing.  I know if I let him continue, she'd attack him and harm him.  He also loves playing with the 40-45lb dog:

which, that's all fine, but he doesn't stop.  He'll even chase the dog if he wants to play.  Now, Cinderella just thinks it's the best thing in the world to have a cat that will play with her, but if they play for over 30 min. I'm afraid Cinderella will get overexcited and accidentally harm him, and Harley wouldn't understand when enough is enough.

Is he just being a kitten?  When he eventually learn not to play with the other cats and not overdo it with the dog?
Erin

Offline sunshine9

• Posts Too Much!
Re: will he learn?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 03:53:36 PM »
I have a male cat that is exactly the same.  he is approximately a year old.  one of my females is NOT fond of him.  She hisses at him with her ears back.  She'll even spat at him but he still tries to play with her.  She hasn't hurt him yet but I'm always worried.  He doesn't seem to understand why she's making those noises at him.  Now I havent' heard him hiss once but that doesn't mean he doesn't know what it is.  He lived on the streets for 6 months though I'm not sure how he survived since he's soooo affectionate and a little needy.
Deirdre and the Brat Pack-OSED Simon, OSED Theodore, ANR Blizzard, Peanut, Pepper, OSED Mocha, Java, and Houdini
R.I.P-Sunshine and Sweet Pea

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 05:39:47 PM »
I do believe it does have to do with him still being so young. Once he matures and calms down they'll probably learn to tolerate him, maybe even like him. But that can be a problem with age differences in any animal.

Some cats are just easier going than others. For example, we've been fostering kittens now for over two months. Tommy, who we like to call our zen cat, is perfectly fine with them, and has gotten along with them practically right from the start. Now our female, Donut hates strange cats and refuses to get along with them, she'll get up somewhere high and stay away from them. And then there's Neko, who is my boy, and gets very jealous when I give my attention even to my husband. He's also very grumpy!! He at this point has learned to tolerate them, but will hiss at them if they're near me or his food.

I'm sure he'll grow out of this stage, and turn into the typical cat that sleeps about 15 or so hours a day. And then maybe they'll eventually learn to like him.

It takes patience but you'll get though it and before you know if, you miss that uber cute kitty stage!

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 07:53:19 AM »
smokey, who we refer to as psyco cat, is mean, hateful, spiteful to everyone and everything. she is the most miserable cat I have ever met. Salem on the other hand is the sweetest thing. She has tried her hardest to play with smokey and all she has ever got in return is hissed , swated and growled at. I think she is finally just starting to ignore her.  she will go up to her and when smokey growls and hisses, she just walks away
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline Beth

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 05:49:38 PM »
I hate to say it but he'll learn if it hurts him to carry on pestering the other cats....young animals learn best through experience I'm afraid. If he gets a good swipe across the face a couple of times he'll learn to leave that cat alone. He probably won't be hurt badly, just a scratch or two  :-
He's also probably just wanting someone else to play with so a 1/2 hour play with the dog isn't a bad thing or any of the other cats that care to play with him. He sounds like he needs another fury body to play with. He'll kinda grow out of it but it sounds like he's always going to be one of those cats that is just full of energy and wants to be on the go all the time!

Beth