Author Topic: sneezing  (Read 2937 times)

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
sneezing
« on: December 19, 2004, 11:15:18 AM »
to make a long story short, salem is back home with me from the humane society. but, she has been sneezing since she came back. If it doesn\'t clear up , a visit to the vet is in order. could it be just a cold or could she have caught something else there>
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline kikoalex

• Posts Too Much!
  • I love my little stinks.
Re: sneezing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 02:31:35 PM »
Humane societies are notorious for Upper Respiratory Virus\'.  At one humane society I worked, EVERY cat that came in got sick.  The virus had made its way into the walls or something!

Be sure to keep an eye on hydration and fevers.  I prefer to let my animals recover on their own, offering them plenty of chicken broth (low sodium) to keep them hydrated.  Obviously if she gets worse, or has a lot of discharge from the nose or eyes, then a trip to the vet may be in order.
-Tibeca AND the ratties:
Angel, Mikie, Monkie, Natters, Princess, Snow, Baby Emmie, Sam the man, Sarah and Jubilee. :)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 03:37:44 PM »
My vet actually refused to give me any meds for my cat the last time she got something like this.  She said it\\\\\\\'s pretty much the equivalent of a human cold, and to treat it symptomatically (with benadryl, but call your vet and ask if that\\\\\\\'s ok), and keep an eye on her.  Sure enough, in a couple days, she was right as rain.  Antibiotics don\\\\\\\'t do anything for a virus anyway, so it\\\\\\\'s kinda silly to build up an antibiotic tolerance for something they can\\\\\\\'t even affect.  :)

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 07:21:17 AM »
she\\\\\\\'s on clavanox and lysine. i\\\\\\\'ve also been aspirating her nose and having gary bring her into the bathroom with him while he takes a shower.
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 11:51:40 AM »
What is lysine?  And are you giving benedryl to help with the congestion?

Offline Ravyn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Controlled Insanity
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 11:49:23 AM »
L-lysine is a nutritional supplement that helps boost the immune system. My vet recommended it to me and I give it to my cat who has both chronic respiratory syndrome and asthma, and so far it has helped a good deal, in combination with avoiding her stressors. You can get it from any drug store and it is good for both dogs and cats...and you! :)
Nothing so sweet
As four furry feet
Pattering
On my heart

**Hazel, Piglet, Willow, Aslan, Minerva, Oliver, Tsali, Jasper and Athena. Dogs Red and Sadie Rose.

Over the Rainbow: Starr, Garth, Clio, Dublin, Saidee, Perseus, Ariseti, Weasley, Riddle, Cerberus, Angel, Cosmo, and Orion; The Mouse Club