Author Topic: Thyroid problems?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Bluejackal

• WARNING: Human may bite.
Thyroid problems?
« on: December 28, 2004, 10:31:25 AM »
I'm worried about the rate one of my parents' cats is gaining weight.  He's never gained this quickly before and they've even lessened his food intake.  Each cat gets about 1/2 cup daily or less.  They used to be on light-formula food from Science Diet, but now it's switched over to a hypoallergenic formula made by Royal Canin, methinks.

He's almost twelve years old and started gaining weight about a year-and-a-half ago.  He was once a very thin, sleek, and muscular cat, but now he's just...a ball of fat with fur.  *laughs*  Perhaps I worry too much.
RATS:
Girls: Famine and Plague
Boys: Cassiel, Ch'kir, Falkar, Gabriel, RMAX Hitomi, RMAX Jean-Luc Picard, L'mar'kai, Lucifer, Michael, Rincewind, Seth, Twoflower

STILL AT THE BREEDER:
RMAX Rhadavic
RMAX Slash

GIRLMICE:
Dieter, Midas, Nell, Toboe, Tori

FERRETS: Lazarus and Sariel

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
Re: Thyroid problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 11:56:43 AM »
it is rare, almost unHEARD of, for a cat to be hypothyroid. they are almost always hyperthyroid, which presents as a thing cat with a ravenous appetite, among other things.

there are many other things that could be wrong, or the cat may just be overweight. a trip to the vet to assure things are in order, would be best.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
Re: Thyroid problems?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004, 02:12:39 PM »
I've recently read that giving an all dry diet contributes to being overweight (which contributes to diebetes).
Sunshine posted some interesting links on the subject in this thread.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org