Author Topic: anybody with tips on raw fed cats that will only eat one kind of meat  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
Well I have successfully transitioned both my cats onto a raw diet.  Not homemade but Urban Carnivore which I feel confident in.  The only problem that is giving me anxiety is they won't touch any other kind of meat other than chicken.  I plan on supplementing with salmon oil as that can't hurt and I add some extra chicken hearts into the meat every once in a while.  The holistic vet that I talked to said that I shouldn't need to supplement with taurine as there should be enough of that in the raw meat and organs but I am still paranoid about that.  Should I be supplementing with anything else and is it really that bad that they will only eat one type of meat?
Also any tips on helping a cat loose weight on a raw meat diet would be much appreciated.  I need to get a scale but I have a feeling that she isn't loosing any.  I read on one of the fairly repuatable info sites about a natural diet that one of the things that can aid in weight loss is L-Carnitine (sp?).  Has anyone heard about this stuff or know anything about it?
Sorry for all the questions but I am still at the stage where I am feeling really paranoid that I might be denying them something nutritionally that they need.

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
Re: anybody with tips on raw fed cats that will only eat one kind of meat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 05:55:34 PM »
I don't really know much of anything on the subject but have you tried maybe mixing the other meats in with some chicken broth? Maybe they will it it that way.

Good luck with that!

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 02:42:47 AM »
If you grind the meat then maybe you can do a mix?

Out of 10, 9 parts chicken 1 part beef, and slowly add a bit more beef and other types of meat? Will they eat turkey? 

If you don't grind it . . . then I dunno.
Though I'm guessing here since I feed a combo of dry and gooshy.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 06:20:21 PM »
I feed Urban Carnivore which is ground and made into patties.  They probably would eat turkey but I don't know how much difference that would make as turkey is just another type of fowl and also Urban Carnivore doesn't make turkey.  I tried duck and mixed that in with the chicken and they turned their noses up at that.  The other types of meat that urban carnivore has are bison, rabbit and if there are any others they are escaping me at the moment.  I'm just wondering if there are any health risks that are posed by the fact that they are only eating chicken at the moment.

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 07:10:42 PM »
I am honestly uncertain.
I remember reading in another thread on a different forum about a lady who fed her cat nothing but raw liver, and she wondered why her cat had the runs all the time (she was a moron though).

Maybe, you should just monitor your cats.
If they start to seem "off" talk to your holistic vet. :)
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »
As long as the proper supplements are there, I don't see a problem with only one meat, honestly.  If you think about it, many cats go their whole lives on one type of food, and do really well.

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 07:44:22 PM »
As long as the proper supplements are there, I don't see a problem with only one meat, honestly.  If you think about it, many cats go their whole lives on one type of food, and do really well.

I would think that rats and birds and insects are all very different types of meat. . .
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 08:35:36 PM »
Yeah, but I'm talking domestic cats here.  ;)

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 03:18:30 PM »
That is what I was thinking about the same type of food.  Example some cats exist on nothing but a diet of Chicken flavor cat food.  I think I will be adding some supplements in and if they seem fine we will continue the way we are.  They didn't even have diahrea when I switched them over and boy is there a difference in litter box odor.  There is no smell at all!
Now we just have to deal with another problem here.  Think I will make a separate post for that.
Thank you for all your opinions, I am still scared that I will do something wrong for them or miss providing them with something they need.  Every mom's biggest fear I think  ;)