Author Topic: Tora-kun The Christmas Cat. (An update for those in chat & intro to those not)  (Read 3007 times)

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
I talked to a few people in chat about the cat we found on Christmas Day.
He was also referenced in the thread I posted about needing information (I've learned a LOT).

Anyway, my husband was going to pick up a few things with Hazel at the grocery store. He opened the door only to find a cat huddled up against the corner of the door (there's a wall perpendicular to our door), shivering with a piece of paper over him. Robert got this look and stance that said, "Aw hell." (He knew what was coming, though he said later that he wouldn't have left him because it would've been cruel.)

Of course, I brought him in, gave him food and water, pettin's and put him in the bathroom with a litter box. This later had to be changed to giving him access to the entire master bedroom because he damaged his claws trying to get us to let him out of the bathroom. He would also meow constantly which we could live with, but the claws and pads of his paws being damaged, no way.

We're calling him Tora or Tora-kun (Tora = Tiger in Japanese and kun = term of friendship).
He had what looked like a "cold" (though I've since learned that it was a respiratory infection), and something weird going on with his eye as if he were partially blind or had a cataract or something.

He went to the vet on Friday the 31st.
He has an infection in the eye (cause isn't quite known yet, possibly from herpes) and he's got eye drops for that. I have to give him 1-2 drops 3-5 times a day. It's already beginning to look better.

He's also on Clavamox for his respiratory problem, and he's already feeling better. I haven't seen a piece of snot, and he's far more playful than he used to be. I give him .6ml every 12 hours.

Not only did he get meds, but he got his first set of shots, checked for ear mites, worms, feline lukemia, and feline immunodeficiency virus; all of which were negative.

I was right in my guestimate of his age. He's about 6 or 7 months old.
He's a little over 5 pounds and I was told to give him dry food only to help keep his weight down since he's a little heavy. He was bulgy enough to have the vet check for fluid!

His follow up visit is at 9:30am on Saturday the 15th.
In a month he'll need his second set of shots and a neuter to give him time to heal.

He's very sweet.
He puts up with Hazel wanting to give him hugs and kisses, and he's such a lap cat.

Kittyrat is upset with everything because he thinks we're mad at him since he can't sleep with us at night and has to stay out of the master bedroom until Tora is better. We're keeping an eye on Kittyrat to be sure that he doesn't get sick.

When the vet gives the all clear we'll introduce them.

With that said, we're still trying to find a home for him (I'll be making a post in the adoption section).

Here's a picture of him.

edit: BTW, EVERY rescue, sanctuary and shelter were full. Every one (that counts anyone, one would have taken him just to kill him for being sick . . . ) which is why we took him to the vet and all that.

We would keep him if we had a larger place. He's so sweet. I almost hope no one wants him, lol.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 01:50:04 AM by Ruthie-chan »
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
Aww, cutie!  Isn't this the 3rd cat (including Kittyrat) that's decided it wants to adopt you?!
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny

Offline ekw4petrescue

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Home of the Star Wars Rat Clan
I'm so glad you were able to help him!  He looks like a sweetheart. :D
Emily and the Star Wars Rat Clan

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
awwww. i vote you keep him!  ;D

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Don't you just love it when the hubby knows enough not to argue, because he knows he'll lose?  LOL  Very cute kitty, and I hope you're able to find a home for him, even if it's yours.  ;)

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
Aww, cutie!  Isn't this the 3rd cat (including Kittyrat) that's decided it wants to adopt you?!

Nope, this is the 5th, including Kittyrat.

There was Kittyrat, Smokey, Dustbunny, Pirate, and now Tora.
Smokey, Dustbunny and Pirate all found homes with other loving families. They were 4-5 weeks old which was why they were easy to place.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
oooh, I think I missed a few of your posts then!!!!  Is there a special secret cat sign outside your house to let stray cats know "Try Here", d'you think? 

I've got a local cat that keeps trying to convince me he lives with me - but I'm not the only house locally he tries that one on, he does it to many of the neighbours, but does go to his own home sometimes  ::)

Plus since I fed her cats while the neighbour opposite me was away, they all now think that if she's out, I will go and let them in, or they can come and visit with me until she's back.

Good luck with Tora
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny