Author Topic: Bully in my garden  (Read 2095 times)

Offline swub

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat rescuer!
Bully in my garden
« on: January 06, 2005, 06:49:38 AM »
We moved here almost 3 months ago. Charlie (our cat) is kept inside most of the time because she has Soft Paws (nail caps) on at the moment. If she does go outside I go with her, and we haven'y had a problem.

The problem has been when she's inside her own house. Next doors cat (which the owner warned me was very territorial!) comes up to our patio doors and starts hissing and swiping at Charlie.

That's not on and I'm not putting up with it so, as nice as this cat is to me, I go outside and chase her away as scarily as I can  :D

How do I stop her coming back though? Charlie should feel safe in her own house, not threatened. She's already incredibly clingy and dependant, so this will only make things worse  :-[

Offline Goosemoose

• Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Goosemoose.com
Re: Bully in my garden
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 06:09:10 PM »
Is there a particular window she comes up to? Maybe you can put some of that cat scat stuff near the window
My Day Job: Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software - Allows any inspector using Windows or Mac to create easy to read reports that can be quickly uploaded online, or printed out on the job site.

Offline cleverbeautiful

• Parker and Milo <3
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 09:06:29 PM »
barbed wire around your fence? borrow someone's dog? a mote?
---Don't be a stranger to the danger that is kissing you---

Offline Beth

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 05:39:35 PM »
You need to stake a claim on your garden in Charlie's name.

Cat's mark their territories with urine and feces. Cats usually dig a little hole, use it and then cover up their urine/feces but a really dominant cat won't bother, especially in their own territory near to home. It's like they're so confidant they don't need to cover things up. Other cats read the exposed feces as a very large sign saying "MINE".

You know where I'm going with this don't you..... ;D

You need to start placing Charlie's urine and feces around your garden. It's time consuming as you kinda have to pick up the old deposits and replace, changing the positions, frequency, quantity and pee and/or poo (try and think like a cat at this point!!). Don't cover it up! It brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "I'm going to empty the litter tray!" If you can encourage Charlie to use the garden for her business as much as possible that would be really helpful.

You (and the rest of the family) also need to continue to challenge the visiting cat face to face each and every time you see it anywhere in your garden, even if it's just got one paw your side of the fence! A tin can with a few dried pulses/buttons/coins makes a nasty noise, and the garden hose is also a good deterant.

It took about 2 weeks of this for the bully cat to pretty much stop coming into our garden if I remember rightly (it's about 7 yrs ago now!) and probably another month before my cats felt comfortable going out without me and would defend their patch on their own.

Good luck

Beth
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 06:06:30 PM by Beth »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 07:28:08 PM »
I think Beth has some really good ideas.  :)