Author Topic: Wetting in the house  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
Wetting in the house
« on: January 07, 2005, 11:48:14 AM »
This is a question someone at work asked me and I don't know the indepth details.  Basically, since they moved to a new house the cat keeps peeing in the house.  From what he says it's the same place, but he doesn't really want to put the litterbox there in case she takes it as encouragement to go in the house all the time, and doesn't go outside.  He doesn't want to have to have a litterbox in use all the time.  Someone suggested putting her food there but he said he was afraid it would make her go somewhere else inside the house.

I've given him instructions for how to clean the area without using something that smells of amonia and makes her over mark it, and suggested he ensures that nothing is preventing her from going out - such as another cat spraying over the door/cat door etc.

Just wondered if anyone had any other general tips, please?  Thanks
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 01:09:27 PM by Nelly »
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny

Offline Beth

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Wetting in the house
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 05:43:01 PM »
The only thing I would add is to put up aluminium foil where the cat is peeing. It rarely prevents them from using the spot but it does make for keeping the location clean as you can easily just replace it whenever kitty has made a visit... I still regularly clean the surrounding area but using the foil just makes things easier.

Beth

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 07:12:59 PM »
Is the cat male or female? Is it fixed? Toms tend to mark a lot, so that may be an issue if the cat is male and unneutered.

Where is the litterbox located? Some cats are very paranoid, and won't use the litterbox if they feel unsafe in the area. One of our cats refused to use the litterboxes (we had 2 set up in the laundry room). Turns out he was afraid of the machines, and since we added a third litterbox in the upstairs washroom, he's been doing great!

There are a lot of factors involved, but I'm sure if you got some more details we could help.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 07:27:09 PM »
Ah, you're in England, which explains "dirt tray"...  ;)  It might be that the people who lived there before him had a cat who peed in that corner, and she's trying to cover up the smell...  Or it could be that she hasn't discovered a safe place to use outside yet.  He might be better off putting in a litter pan temporarily just to save on cleaning.  Once she's more comfortable in her new surroundings, she'll probably be more inclined to go outside, since that's what she's obviously used to.  :)

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 10:08:46 AM »
Lol - changed 'dirt tray' to litterbox!

OK, the cat, a female, I'd guess spayed, used to use a cat door to go out at the last house and didn't have a litterbox indoors.  A cat door was put in in this house when they moved in.  No cat living there previously as far as my colleague knows.  She was always happy to "go" outdoors at the last house, but just wants to go indoors at this one.  If the litterbox is removed, she goes where it was.

Thanks for the suggestions. No update from him yet to say whether anything's worked so far.
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny

Offline flannel

• Posts Too Much!
  • When I grow up I wanna be a dumbo!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 12:02:29 PM »
Perhaps this kitty doesn't like the feel of the litter under her feet.  It sounds like she's got the right idea.  Someone set me right if this is a bad idea, but what I would do in that situation is to take quite a bit of dirt and put it in the box so she has what she's used to, then gradually add the litter bit by bit until she's used to it and the box is nothing but litter.  It will be a challenge to keep clean at first but it's got to be better than cleaning the carpet/floor where she's going now.  Plus, I'd be tempted to give her a litterbox where she's going on the floor until she gets the idea that the box won't eat her.  It probably is a spot where another cat has peed previously, so that's why she chose the spot.  We had a kitty that did that in my closet - I know the previous tenants had messy cats, then when we moved...never again did she go outside of the box so that had to be it in our case.

Wish them luck.  It is so frustrating to have a cat that just doesn't quite like the box.
"Reader, you must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits almost everyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
- The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo