Author Topic: Just want someone to share my frustrations with (long)  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
Just want someone to share my frustrations with (long)
« on: January 09, 2005, 03:56:24 PM »
Well as I am sure you read in one of my other posts I have successfully transitioned my cats onto raw.  They are doing great on it, very minimal/no litter box odor.  My girl with an oily, drandruffy coat is looking better.  But here is the problem.  The reason I quite often jump into food discussions is because I have had to educate myself so much.  My Gypsy cat and I have been battling with her weight problem for years already.  She has been on so many different kinds of food to try and help her lose weight it is not even funny.   This switch to raw is about the last thing I can think of to try.   More than one vet has suggested what they call a reducing diet.  I haven't looked into this diet extensively but from what the vet has told me I conclude that this diet is expensive, can only be obtained from the vet and is of the nature that even though she is eating and getting filled up this diet would actually cause her to lose weight.  They also said that this diet has to be very closely monitered and fed with caution.  What does this tell me?  This diet can not be very healthy, is risky and probably does not have quality ingredients.
My poor Gypsy is at 19.8 lbs right now.  While she is a big boned girl this is way to heavy for her and I know she is not comfortable.  She cannot reach her hind end to clean.  We have been helping her with this for the past little while.  She has lost 0.4 lbs in the past 6 months but I am becoming scared for her.  She will be turning 8 in April and I don't want health problems for her in the future.  Recently we rushed her to the vet when we discovered an open wound on her rear end that was seeping (sorry gross I know).  Once at the vet we were told that what she had was an infected anal glad and it had abcessed.  This is extremely rare in cats.  Immediately I worried that the diet I had put her on caused this and I was feeling like a horrible mom.  The vet told me that only two things could cause this.  He said that if she had diahrea (she hasn't) or if some type of bacteria had gotten into the opening of the anal glad to cause infection and block things up.  I realized immediately that I must not have been diligent enough with her cleaning schedule.  I still feel like a horrible mom.  The vet had to manually express both of her glands.  This process was so painful for her, she screamed like I never heard her before.  Yet she still had enough trust in us to turn to us for comfort (my fiance and I were holding her down during the process).  She had a sweet enough nature to allow the vet to examine her teeth, ears and eyes afterward.  He pronounced everything else as looking wonderful.  She has been putting up with pills every morning and night and cleaning of her extremely sore bum.  During this whole process she has become even more affectionate  :(
She is being somewhat spoiled right now (minimal treats after getting her pills and her bum cleaned) but I need to figure out something else to help her after she is all healed.  I am scared for her especially as I worry that this incident is a sign of things to come.  The sad thing is that she doesn't eat a lot, she is just blessed with a rotten metabolism.  She eats 4 oz or less of raw food a day.  Our goal weight with her is 15 lbs.  It still sounds like a lot but would be a much healthier weight for her.
Thank you for letting me vent my frustrations. (I will be extremely impressed if anyone made it to the end of my long rant)  Please keep her in your thoughts and if anyone has any insight into some things that might help her please don't hesistate to chime in.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Just want someone to share my frustrations with (long)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 08:59:07 PM »
I think you'll find that switching her to a raw diet will help a lot with her weight, as she's probaby reacting badly to something in the fillers (read:  carbohydrates), and that's what's made her pack on the pounds.  I hope you see a drop, just remember it should be gradual, as if cats lose too much weight to fast, it can literally kill them...

I hope she (and you) get to feeling better soon.  I imagine you'll have a party to celebrate when she can finally reach her own bum again!

Offline elegy

• Posts Too Much!
  • obey the pit bull.
    • shattering.org
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 11:51:10 PM »
i wouldn't blame yourself for her bum issue. some cats just have bum problems. same with dogs. i have one cat who has anal gland troubles. he's never gotten impacted or abscessed, but i do have to express them regularly. (he hates it. i'm not too keen on it myself.)

raw will probably help a lot with the weight loss. are you trying to get her to exercise at all?

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 12:34:34 AM »
Thanks for the reassurances.  Some of the people who know me already think I am strange imagine what they will think when I have a party because my cat can reach her bum again  ::)
Yes definately slow and sure when it comes to weight loss, no fatty liver disease here.  I guess I am just wondering how soon she should start dropping weight and how much in a certain time period is healthy.  It would be wonderful if she got down even lower than 15 lbs eventually but right now my goal for her is just to reach a healthy weight where she can be more comfortable, clean properly and be able to maintain a weight rather than have it fluctuate drastically.
elegy I admire you for being able to take care of your cat's problem yourself.  My vet said that once she is cleared up he can teach me to express her glands myself but I don't know if I could.  ::)
I do my best as far as exercise, tossing her ball for her, etc.  But she is one of those cats that refuses to play with someone, she will only play by herself when she chooses to.  I can't even get her to go after a lazer pointer most of the time.  I do take her out when I can on a harness and leash as I figure that must do some good but as I am Canada and we have been having nasty weather lately that hasn't been possible (-50 degrees celcius  :()  I am hoping to get into a house soon so I feel that would provide some benefit as then she would stairs to go up and down.
I just feel so worried for her much of the time.