Author Topic: *Sigh* The joy of living with adolescent boys...  (Read 1731 times)

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
*Sigh* The joy of living with adolescent boys...
« on: January 31, 2005, 10:51:40 PM »
I've just spent over 3 hours trying to coax Haru from under the sink, then from under the TV stand. He refused to come out even for his dinner (and he lives and dies for food!) so I had to bring him his dinner :(

Haru is an approx 3 year old male we adopted from the animal control months ago, our 4th and last cat. He was a reclusive kitty who took months to get comfortable enough in our home and has been making such wonderful progress during the past few months. He was finally eating with the rest of the gang, sleeping all sprawled out in the middle of the living room instead of under the bed (I nearly cried the first time he did this), and follows me around begging for more food.

He however has had some issues with socialization, and as far as my bf and I have been able to figure out, he either doesn't quite know how to express his affection or gets a bit too excited when he's happy. He bites people when he gets stroked, same goes with other cats. He's had a number of scuffles from biting other cats when they're trying to lick/groom him.

The other day my bf and I came home to find cat hair all over the apt. We realized that Loki had lost chunks of hair and assumed that he must've gotten into a fight with Haru since he's our "problem" kitty (altho it's never been this bad before). Then yesterday I noticed that Haru was crying when I stroked his back (found a few small scabs, no other visible wounds), and he was being more reclusive than usual. Then finally few hours ago I heard loud squeaks and hissing in the kitchen, ran over to find Haru under the sink hissing at everyone and angry as hell. Since then Nai went under the sink to lick him a few times, Loki went under to check out what's so intersting under there, with on problems. It's when Taka, our most people friendly and demanding cat, went near Haru flipped out. He's been sleeping under the TV stand ever since :(

It's so sad to see Haru go back to his aloof ways, as well as worrisome about this sudden conflict among the boys. They've been living with each other with no problem for months. Taka loves his people more than his kitty "brothers" and can care less what they do as long as he gets attention from us. Nai is our quite and sensive "lady" of the house who gets along with everyone. Loki is aloof and lives in his own world, and Haru besides his ocassional problems mostly prefers his own company.

I wonder if there's something I can do? Or is this just "boys will be boys" and things will calm down on its own? Everyone else is perfectly fine, except for Haru who just seems so depressed now. We live in a small 1br apt, is this a territorial issue, do they not have enough space? Do they need more litter boxes, separate bowls, etc? (They have 3 boxes, 2 food bowls, 1 water bowl)

I'm gonna go now and see if I can calm him down and get him out again. Poor baby. *Sigh*

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: *Sigh* The joy of living with adolescent boys...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:01:51 PM »
Have you thought of trying something like Bach's rescue remedy, or one of those plug-ins that are supposed to calm cats down?  Also, is there a possibility that there is another cat outdoors who is antagonizing your kitties?  We've had that problem recently with our 7 year old.  One of the neighborhood cats comes to our window and torments him, and he takes it out on the other cats because he can't reach her. 

I hope he gets to feeling comfortable again soon....

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 10:47:11 PM »
I haven't noticed any stray cats around here BUT, there is a dog outside who does torment our kitties. We live in the basement apt and the landlord upstairs has a bulldog who likes to look in the small window (close to our ceiling) from the backyard and bark like mad. He even broke our window twice, scaring the hell out of us and letting one of our cats out the second time. I don't see him really bothering our cats that often, but then again he might be out in the backyard during the day while we're not home... :-\

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 12:47:07 PM »
Can you put a curtain over the window so the dog can't see in and the kitties can't see out?  It might help matters if he IS out there during the day...