Author Topic: *NEW* Greenies for Cats!  (Read 3094 times)

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
*NEW* Greenies for Cats!
« on: July 30, 2005, 10:05:54 PM »
I got an ad from Petsmart in the mail today and saw that they finally make Greenies for cats. So I headed over there and picked some up. 3 out of the 4 of my cats love them! Neko can't get enough of them. I figured Donut would turn her nose up at them because she turns her nose up at everything, most treats and canned food.

I'm sure if they could, my boys would give Greenies two paws up :)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: *NEW* Greenies for Cats!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 10:35:41 PM »
really?  That's cool!  Guess I need to pick some of those up.  :)

Offline Scarlett Angel

• Cats 'n Rats
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 04:45:56 PM »
Well its about time!! lol.  I used to get the petite greenies for my ratty kids and my cat would also find them and lick them to death, lol.

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 01:27:52 PM »
Once in a while I would find a greenie that had been licked, but  most often knocked to the floor and batted around. =p

My cats never dug them, we've had various sizes of the dog ones.
I've heard too many bad things, and had some bad experiences with greenies myself to want to feed them anymore personally.

What is so different about the cat ones, anything at all, or does it just say "cat" on the package?
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 11:26:14 PM »
There are chicken, liver, and seafood flavors. They're small, cat sized and seem to have a different texture than dog greenies.

Offline Scarlett Angel

• Cats 'n Rats
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 12:14:23 AM »
My cats never dug them, we've had various sizes of the dog ones.
I've heard too many bad things, and had some bad experiences with greenies myself to want to feed them anymore personally.

Like what??  I'm curious since I've always thought greenies were great.  If they aren't I'd like to know.  ???

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 02:09:13 PM »
Some of the problems I have heard about from people I know, and if not in my own experience.

1.) Diahrea
2.) Vomiting
3.) Biting off and swallowing HUGE chunks
4.) Not very digestable
5.) Whole peices coming out in the poo.

They really just aren't all that great of a treat, sure it's edible, but not exactly a high quality snack! I've found much better options for chews, or teeth cleaning.

Offline Goosemoose

• Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Goosemoose.com
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 03:53:52 PM »
I went out and got the cat greenies and my kitties devoured them. They are the size of normal kitty kibble, maybe a little larger.  I was actually hoping they would be larging as one of my kitties (actually about a year old now) has been  chewing on the furniture. I tried getting one of the puppy sized bone shaped ones as well but they will only lick it.
My Day Job: Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software - Allows any inspector using Windows or Mac to create easy to read reports that can be quickly uploaded online, or printed out on the job site.

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 12:07:02 PM »
Hmm if they are large enough for my gang I will have to look over the ingredients and see what's what. If they are too small and my cats would just swallow them whole, then there is no point in getting them.
I can't find out anything about them on their official site yet.

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 03:30:42 PM »
They are approx. 1/2 an inch big.

Ingredients:
chicken meal, ground rice, ground wheat, corn gluten meal, oat fiber, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), poultry digest (source of natural liver flavor), salmon meal, brewers dried yeast, ground flaxseed, calcium carbonate, salt, potassium chloride, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, biotin, niacin, D-ctalcium, pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite, taurine, chlorophyll, natural flavors, rosemary extract

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 06:10:08 PM »
They sound at least some what better then the other ones!

Here is someone's story about there dog that died due to a greenie. I have friends who can recall stories about dogs who come into ER vets with greenies lodged in some part of their body (specially when greenies were new to the market). The problem alone isn't supervising your dog, as the company apparently can't be held accountable for people who don't feed it properly to their dogs as long as they have a disclaimer/warning on the package.
The issue seems to be that the ingredients do not agree with enough dogs to cause problems such as the forementioned. Anything that doesn't get broken down enough by digestive enzymes, in my mind, is a NON edible treat, and should not be labled as edible.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/index.php?t=50872

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 09:26:52 AM »
Thanks for the link, that very interesting.