Author Topic: Does cat pee on cleaned carpet still show under a blacklight?  (Read 5070 times)

Offline fly_away

• Posts Too Much!
Does cat pee on cleaned carpet still show under a blacklight?
« on: August 23, 2005, 11:44:29 AM »
I have moved in with my boyfriend, and his best friend is moving in with us tonight.  Together we will have five cats.  When we were cleaning out the room he's going to have last night, we noticed with a blacklight that the entire carpet is just covered in cat pee!  That was from when Robby (my bf) and his ex used to have 3 cats that didn't get along and they had peeing contests in there.  The peeing problem is over but now we have these invisible urine stains.  So we are wondering if, after we steam clean the carpet, if the stains will still show pee under the blacklight?  If so, has anyone had any luck getting rid of cat urine by hiring a professional carpet cleaner, like that No-Res company?

Also if this question has been asked before, I apologize.  I didn't see it as I skimmed through the articles and I'm trying to get myself involved in the cat board now that I only have cats! :)  I did see that there have been threads on cleaning products though, but this question is technically a bit diff'rent.

Thanks in advance!
------
Lisa
------
Mom to Inky, Dusty, and Matty the kitties
Temporary mom to Banshee cat

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Does cat pee on cleaned carpet still show under a blacklight?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 07:35:10 PM »
I think the cat urine will show up all the time, unless treated with an enzymatic cleaner.  However, I've never black-lighted my carpets and then cleaned them to find out for sure.  :)

Offline fly_away

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 09:13:02 AM »
Thanks Marybelle.  That's what we're gonna do, spot clean and then steam clean. Then run the test again, so I'll post my findings :)

We were just disgusted when we saw all the spots. *shudder*
------
Lisa
------

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 11:01:52 AM »
I was fuming over this same subject on another forum the other week.

I FINALLY bought a black light (man was that scary) soo many stains every where. Half of them I don't remember, so they must have been from animals previous to me living there (the carpet was NOT new). Others that I knew were caused by us and I knew I treated (completely soaked in Nature's Mircale) were still there too!
They say the yellow stains are newer, and the blueish white stains are older, or ones which were adiquitly treated with an enzyme cleaner.
I've been informed by some people that the stain under the black light will always be there no matter what. (I didn't know this to be true, and I'm still not positive.)

I poured Nature's Miracle on a new urine spot, watched it under the black light, nothing happened, I checked it 12 hours later, it had turned from a yellow to a blue shade. So I guess that's all that happens.

As far as smells go (which is my main problem here, with urine saturating the carpet) Sopping up the Urine until the spot is as dry as possible (no more urine comes up onto the paper towel) and then soaking it in nature's miracle until that dries, and then soaking it in distilled white vinager until that dries, seems to do the trick.
I'll smell the Vinager for the next 12 hours or so, but after that the urine and vinager smell is gone.

Try that. =)
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel

Offline fly_away

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 12:43:29 PM »
Wow that is a big help AngelZOO!  Funny thing out our room is that there is no smell, so it must have dried a long time ago and my bf and his ex never noticed it.. ick.  I don't ask questions about what went on before me! haha 

Guess I got my work cut out for me.  Thanks for the advice!
------
Lisa
------

Offline Beth

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
Biological clothes detergent (soap powder) also works. I have a spraying cat and the animal behaviourist (read: Cat Shrink!) gave us a nightmare cleaning regime.

Wash with soap powder, rinse well.
Allow to dry.
Wipe with surgical spirits, rinse well.
Allow to dry.

Repeat daily - through out entire flat on all surfaces  :o

I had the cleanest flat in the whole of London while we were trying to break Zeus's habit! He now only sprays in one spot that's cleaned daily - he leaves the rest of the flat alone now  ;D

Thing is, can you get a carpet cleaning machine where you can put the detergent in the cleaning water - so the carpets are cleaned with that? That way at least you know that all the urine will have been broken down (that's why it has to be biological) across the whole room. Then if you go over it with plain water to rinse you'll know that there shouldn't be anything there to trigger a cat to pee in that room.

Beth

Offline fly_away

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 05:05:41 PM »
Thanks Beth.. most of our steam cleaners that you can rent around here, you put water in the bucket and then whatever cleaner you want, then pour it into the cleaner, so yes, I can try that!  Wow what a regime..  I didn't know what surgical spirits were, so I looked it up and it is denatured alcohol.   I'll have to try your process, and if one of the cats start spraying, this is especially good to know.

How did you get him to just spray in just the one spot though? Did you clean all the areas except for that one?
------
Lisa
------

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 12:52:34 PM »
fly away: Yes you can try to put something like Nature's Miracle in a carpet cleaner, though it might not be as effective as a straight undiluted application to the spot. Though it might help, can't hurt, I know people who do it!

You also might want to try and clean your carpet with a shampoo that includes the scottch gaurd, that way it helps to repel liquid spills/urine a little, and helps prevent against stains!
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel