Author Topic: Urine smells like ammonia  (Read 5518 times)

Offline lularat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
Urine smells like ammonia
« on: September 07, 2005, 08:41:28 PM »
My son called today and said that his cat's urine smells really strong like ammonia. I mean like full strength ammonia. She's eating and drinking well and urinating in her litter box.  He rescued her about
5 months ago. She's approximately three years old and extremely overweight. She's on a cat food for weight control and has lost a modest amt. of weight. He hasn't seen any blood in her urine.  He's going to take her to the vet on Sat. Just wondering if any of you have had your cat's urine smell that strong. I've owned cats for years and never noticed this. Just wondering if it could be kidney related?
~Carolyn~

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Urine smells like ammonia
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 10:17:13 PM »
It could be kidney or urinary, or just that she's not processing something as well as she should be.  Either way, the vet visit is definitely the best idea.  :)

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »
Ive never noticed any of mine to have that smell. テつ I did a search and found FUS which aparently is a name for several problems. テつ Not all the sites mentioned ammonia smell テつ but this one did. テつ All of them say that theres no time to wait, I actually had a male die from this but since he was staying with my mother while my house was on the market I didnt find out there was a problem til it was too late he had to be PTS.

I wouldnt wait till sat Id get in ASAP テつ but first Id do a good cleaning of the cat box to make sure that isnt where the smell is coming from.

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/4114/fus.html

Another major concern is if you read the other thread about cat diabetes it mentions low fat food having too much carbohydrates which can contribute to diabetes. テつ Theres a link to a site with foods listed and their carbs, canned supposed to be the lowest. テつ 
Id be concerned about that as well and switch to canned and small amt of dry. テつ Ive put my cat back on reg food till I can come up with a better food since he dosnt like canned.

Offline AngelZOO

• Posts Too Much!
  • Raffin Kind!
    • Bejet.eV . com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 03:02:37 AM »
Cat urine will smell like Ammonia, that is it's natural smell, depending on what they are eating/drinking and if they are ill will play a factor on how strongly it smells.

Bring kitty to the vet to rule out any health problems. In the mean time make sure the cat is getting plunty of water on a daily basis. Try giving her some canned food (for the moisture) and get a cat drinking fountain. The fountains are filtered, keep the water cool at all times and encourages the cat to drink more water. There are many cats out there which simply do not drink enough.

Cheers!
"If you won't rescue, don't breed!"
"Feeding rats is like feeding a pack of sharks" - Angel

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 01:25:24 AM »
Actually ammonia is the product of decaying urine.テつ Urine may smell stronger when concentrated but its not an ammonia smell its the smell of urine, theres a name for the smell I think its uric acid or somthing like that.

Ammonia is not a normal strong smell when it just leaves the body.テつ If you smell ammonia when a cat is peeing its likely to be from the box itself, unless theres a problem with the cat.

As far as cats drinking enough they are able to concentrate their urine as their ancestors did some cats do some dont which makes for a heavier and more yellow urine on a daily basis.テつ I have a cat that goes pee once a day, the vets say hes normal for him.

If you use a fountain get one you can run without the filter. Filtering out the minerals from the water is bad for any animal even humans, it can cause arthritis like symptoms and a lot of pain.テつ If you are concerned with water quality use a non filtered spring water.テつ

Also since its circualting saliva and food bits through the filter its more likely to become a breeding ground for bacteria, so a good washing with bleach regularly is a good idea but it wouldnt work to bleach the filter.

Offline Beth

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 11:03:56 AM »
Cats do produce ammonia in their urine (See Table 1.).

How long has kitty been on the weight control diet? Is it dry or canned? What was she eating before? If she's gone from canned to dry food she will probably not be drinking enough and could well just have very concentrated urine.

I don't wish to suggest your son hasn't got a clue but is he sure it's ammonia he's smelling, not more like nail polish remover (acetone)? Is kitty showing any other symptoms?

I definately think a quick check over at the vets is in order, maybe with a blood glucose test thrown in along side any other tests the vet thinks might be needed.

Beth