Author Topic: Bedding  (Read 6898 times)

Offline cleverbeautiful

• Parker and Milo <3
Bedding
« on: January 12, 2005, 09:45:40 PM »
Does any one use (or have used) Yesterday's News kitty litter for rat bedding?

"Yesterday's News® litters are made with recycled newspapers and contain no small particles, so they're truly dust-free. That's a relief for you and your cat! Plus, Yesterday's News litters are safe and non-toxic. Of course, absorbency and odor control are very important when purchasing a litter. The special way we process recycled materials produces litters that are up to 300% more absorbent than clay for highly effective odor control. No matter which Yesterday's News litter you choose, you'll get proven performance that's gentle on the environment."

Is it basically carefresh (even though one's made of recycled paper and the other is wood pulp)?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 09:50:32 PM by cleverbeautiful »
---Don't be a stranger to the danger that is kissing you---

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
  • How could you NOT love those furry little faces?
    • CatCentric.org
Re: Bedding
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:48:16 PM »
Carefresh is sorta fluffy and clumpy, kind-of like an eggcarton thats gone through a shredder. Yesterday News is little pellets of tightly rolled paper. The only similarity between the two is, maybe, their color - greyish.

For the first three weeks I had Mischief, I used Carefresh as her bedding, about three or four inches deep (nice and thick so she could tunnel through it). For me, this totally did not work. Even though I changed it every week, both the bedding and the rat smelled wicked offensively.

So I removed the Carefresh and replaced it with a ferret litter pan filled 3/4 full of Yesterdays News, a small handful of the smelly Carefresh, and some fresh droppings. Since then, Mischief has used the litter pan almost exclusively. I put smaller litter pans on the bookcases she has access to, as well, but go figure, she much prefers to return to her cage to do her business. This set-up totally rocks! The cage smells better, Mischief smells so much better, and cleaning is a snap. I scoop the litter pan every other night or so, and completely empty, clean and refill it once a week. And as far as litter/bedding goes, I'm done!

Anybody want a half-used bag of Carefresh?   :D
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline cleverbeautiful

• Parker and Milo <3
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 12:35:21 AM »
Thanks for the second link, the first one wasn't of help at all.

Sooo now instead of buying bedding over the internet I can go to Wal-mart and buy some YN. I was there today and they only carry Fresh Scent but apparently it has no scent at all and doesn't bother ratties.
---Don't be a stranger to the danger that is kissing you---

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 01:23:45 AM »
You specified "kitty litter".  I thought you might like to know that they are all the same, just packaged differently. 

The search function here on the forum can help you to find a wealth of information on many topics, btw.
Ratless

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:27:17 AM »
they are very different beddings

yesterday's news is pellets:

and carefresh is fluffy (the pic is actually Harlan Tek-Fresh, but it's basically the same thing):

Offline asphyxia

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 02:34:24 AM »
I have a few questions about bedding as well [and I don't see why it can't go under the same thread?]. I've used the search, and I'm sorry if these questions have been answered before.

Which bedding is the LEAST dusty? My rats have a resp. infection and I think they're improving, but I want to use the bedding with the least dust to minimize their sneezing. I'm currently using Carefresh and I'm thinking of switching to Yesterday's News if it is indeed one of the least dusty ones. They are males, but they don't smell bad at all...yet [they're about 7 weeks old] so i'm not too worried about odor-masking.

Also, for those who use  Yesterday's News or something similar in texture, do you put it all over the litter pan? If so, how much? Wouldn't that hurt their feet? I imagine that it would be like walking on pebbles [ouches for me...but I have pain-sensitive feet  :-\ ]...

Thank you.

I love this forum, by the way :)
sour cream and onion?!

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 07:31:14 AM »
I would say the least dusty is fabric.  Using pieces of fabric instead of other beddings.  I use clothe diapers, pieces of fleece and other fabric scraps I have around.  They are simple and easy to keep the cage clean. 

I use yesterday news in my litter pans and yes, I fill the whole bottom of the litter pan (and then the ratties dig in it and spread it all over their cage and the room  ;D ).