Author Topic: Anyone else having problems with mites/Yesterday's News  (Read 5670 times)

Offline bluratz

• Posts Too Much!
  • Just remember what's important..
Anyone else having problems with mites/Yesterday's News
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:13:45 PM »
My boys seem to be constantly getting mites.  I use yesterday's news for them.  I think it would be wonderful to have the disposable income to buy a big chest freezer to freeze my bedding in, but sadly, I don't have that option.   I never used to have this problem years ago when I had my single ratty on pine shavings.  Any options?  Anyone else have this problem?  I could put them on aspen shavings too, I know.   :P
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:38:10 PM by Dearpie »
The rabbits: Snow, Daisy, Giggles
The cats: Juno, Maximus and Marley
The fish: eaten by Marley
The boy: Nolan
The fosters: Hot Wheels, Lego, Transformer

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Anyone else having problems with mites/Yesterday's News
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 10:15:15 PM »
Unfortunately, just about any type of bedding can be infected, and it can often happen in the petstore itself.  I've heard of people baking the bedding if they didn't have room to freeze it.  Also, many people freeze it in a plastic baggy a little at a time, until they have enough for a cage change.
Ratless

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 10:26:39 PM »
I haven't ever had a problem w/it yet, *knocks on wood* I love YN. I would try to freeze a baggie-full at a time, that sounds like a good idea.

Right now I have aspen in the cage, but I don't like to use aspen, it's so messy.
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline qoti

• Posts Too Much!
  • queen of the idiots.....
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 11:12:47 PM »
Ive been using small animal eco bedding for about 6 mos now and have been happy with it I dont freeze it either.  But I get it from a feed store and not a pet store.

Its shredded crinkled brown grocery bag paper stuff, its not recycled bags just the same paper.  The rats love to take it around and make nests out of it (they carry it in their mouths) Its super compact and for $5  is as much litter as a bag of carefresh. 

And theres no dust great for sick ratties.  But in the cage with the healthy rat I use rabbit pellets underneath for better odor control.

Offline ratlife

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud pet of my rodents
    • Perfect Pets Rodent Rescue
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 10:24:13 AM »
I use YN and no mites.  Could be the pet store is infested or something else happened to infest them.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 11:57:22 AM »
Mites are just hitchhikers in any of the beddings.  Any bedding is prone.  It's best to always freeze in small batches or even microwave it before use.  I'll put it in for 3 minutes at a time.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »
Do you have anything made of wood in your cage? If so then when you try to remove the mites you need to either bake or freeze those ... I heart they can hide in there.

Do you feed lab blocks? Could they live in there ... I would freeze that as well to be on the safe side.

Offline bluratz

• Posts Too Much!
  • Just remember what's important..
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 08:05:04 PM »
thanks for the advice.  Nope, no lab blocks.  After I have this infestation cleaned up, I think I'll wash/clean everything and start over.  This time of year I can keep the bedding outside too, that should be a good enough freezer.  I love YN, but maybe I'll go back to aspen and see if that helps.   :BlueDumboBigEyes:
The rabbits: Snow, Daisy, Giggles
The cats: Juno, Maximus and Marley
The fish: eaten by Marley
The boy: Nolan
The fosters: Hot Wheels, Lego, Transformer

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 01:59:50 PM »
Wow, in lab blocks? Man, I had no idea.

Mine got mites from super cheap Aspen. It was a really bad splintery brand that I got when I was desperate and had to go into the Petco. Normally I buy the Kaytee stuff, but yeah, any bedding could have it.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 02:08:24 PM »
Wow, in lab blocks? Man, I had no idea.

The only pet food that I've ever seen bugs in was a questionable bag of guinea pig food (or maybe it was something else, I can't remember for sure) sitting on a petshop shelf, literally CRAWLING with bugs. Makes me itch just thinking about it. I would hope buying reputable Harlan blocks would greatly reduce the chances of mites in your *shudder* rat food.

I *knock on wood* have been using YN for nearly a year now and haven't had any mite problems yet.
islandsugargliders.com

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 06:31:31 AM »
those were probably moths of some kind (I can't remember which, we had a discussion about them on another board, or maybe it was this one? lol) And your house can get infested with them. You probably see them in bulk food items (like the bin food at petco, lol) I have seen them in blocks, if you pick up a block and it has little holes in it, it probably has those moths/bugs in it. They won't hurt your rat, but like I said they can infest your home and are hard to get rid of.

I've been using YN and no problems at all, but I get mine from a petless pet store, lol.
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 08:38:59 AM »
Indian Meal Moths... *shudder*

I got an infestation of them once from a bag of pistachio nuts. Traumatized me for life.

http://www.bugclinic.com/IndianMealMoth.htm

I would say, if you see them flying around the store where you get your food... find a different store. They get into -everything- *shudder*

Offline zooat113

• when the going gets tough, take a nap!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 04:13:12 PM »
I'm planning on litter training my boys, and I'd like to use YN in thier littler pans, and since I figure better to be safe than sorry (I [heart] my store but who knows what happens in between?) how long should I freeze the stuff for? I think I saw 2 days would that get everything mites/moths/ad nausum?

Cole
Happily Owned by:
Wickett the dwarf hamster
Tigg & Gir the tag-team kittens
Freud, Wundt and Pavlov the fuzzybutt rats
Thorndike & Watson the pink wrinklebutt rats

~RIP Pandora~ see you at the bridge you little brat <3