Author Topic: What's more important in a cage? Size or powder coating?  (Read 6455 times)

Offline donna4909

What's more important in a cage? Size or powder coating?
« on: January 16, 2005, 02:03:55 AM »
I have $75 (with $25 for shipping) to get my 2 boys a new cage. And I plan to get my cage from Martin's.

So would it be better to buy a bigger cage that's galvanized, or a smaller cage that is powder-coated?

Edit: Oops, didn't make myself clear. I have $100, but $25 is for shipping. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 02:47:34 AM by donna4909 »

Offline Dani

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'll always love my Nemo
Re: What's more important in a cage? Size or powder coating?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 02:11:38 AM »
How about the Martins 670? that cage can fit 2 ratties and you should have enough to get a powder coated one ;)

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 02:32:48 AM »
Honestly, they're both important.  The 670 is bare minimum for 2 rats, and personally I think it's actually a bit small, especially for two boys.  I'd wait until you can add an additional $15? or so and get the R680, which is $74.75 powdercoated, and then the additional shipping cost.  In the whole scheme of things, to put another $15 into the cage to do it "right" the first time, it's WELL WORTH it.  I wouldn't settle for less.  I'd find SOMETHING to hold off on for the extra $15.

Offline donna4909

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 02:46:35 AM »
Yeah, I was basically asking between the R680 powder coated and the or the R695 galvanized.

The shipping will be around $20, so I can spend up to $80. I just can not go over $100 total.

Edited my first post, because I didn't word it very clearly.

P.S. What do they mean by "drop in" pan? Does that mean the cage sits inside the pan?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 02:50:39 AM by donna4909 »

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 03:31:58 AM »
Yup, the cage sets down inside the pan a little.  It makes it harder for them to chew.  :)
Ratless

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 04:15:21 AM »
I had a nice homemade galvanized cage and we eventually had to ditch it. Too stinky.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • why do rat noses fit so perfectly in your ears...
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 08:18:16 AM »
anything is better than galvanized. galvanized will let the pee smell leach into the metal which will make you wish you had held out for the powder coat. save up, make lunch instead of buying it for a week or two. (unless you already do)... but save up and go for a nice powder coated cage.

an added expense you can save up for would be interlocking Oasis Cage Mats which i find to be very helpful with cleaning. (they are actually a neon green, not chartruse like in the picture) when a section of the floor gets yucky, i just pop it out and take it to the sink for a quick wash. it is also helpful for my little girl who has no fingers so she doesn't slip thru the first layer floor or get bumblefoot, but that is just an added bonus.

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • "That teacher with all the weird animals!"
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 08:38:26 AM »
I'd do the 680 powdercoated,  I like the 695, but even powdercoated, it's tough to clean and can get stinky.  When I started with rats, I had a galvanized cage which is now gone.  Rat urine corrodes it and the smell never comes out.
Deb and the wonderful memories of all the past fur kids I've known and loved.

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 08:54:13 AM »
to me....getting galvanized is just like throwing your money in the trash.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 03:38:52 PM »
Rethinking your budget, IF it's possible, the two most popular Martin's cages seem to be the 685 ($90) and the 695 ($99.50).  With the 685ou get a lot more room, and the flip top is already included in the price.  If you were to go that route, you'd go over your budget by $10.  In my eyes, that would be the best $10 extra spent for anything.  Something to seriously consider.  I see a cage as a "one time" investment, so the initial extra $10 to 'do it right' is very wise.  And as others have said, galvanized is like throwing your money into the fireplace.  It WILL have to be replaces, whereas 'doing it right the first time', you'll get MANY years of enjoyment out of the product.

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 08:57:26 AM »
I have a 680 and a 695, both powder coated... I think a powder-coated 680 would be a good investment, and within your budget, as long as you only plan on keeping pairs in it. The 685 looks nice, but it doesn't have a whole lot of room to hang hammocks... while the 680 has LOTS of room for that. ;)

I'm going to use my 680 for four baby boys (which I will hopefully have in a couple weeks -- the litter just started opening their eyes yesterday!), but then they will be "movin' on up" to the 695 when they get bigger. :)