Author Topic: Cage  (Read 7063 times)

Offline nokikitty

Cage
« on: January 16, 2005, 01:44:24 PM »
What do you guys think of this as a cage option? I checked out martinscages, but this is cheaper for the size, and the shipping is less, too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1286&item=4349756719&rd=1

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Cage
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 01:46:46 PM »
Looks great! How many ratties do you plan on keeping in there?

Offline nokikitty

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 01:49:16 PM »
Just two. I'm hoping to get a friend for my girl before she's back from the vet, and as soon as they're on good terms, I'll have them living in there together. Does it seem like a decent amount of extra play space for them?

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »
Yup, that's just the right size for 2 ratties in my opinion (though cage calculator says 4, I always assume twice as much space per rat ^_^). What a great cage for that money! I'm sure your girls will love it!

Offline Darksong17

• The Rat Info Packet
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 01:51:55 PM »
The bottom pan looks like it has wire over it, do you know if it does?
My informational rat packet can be found at: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratinfopacket.html

Offline Darksong17

• The Rat Info Packet
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 01:54:10 PM »
The bottom pan looks like it has wire over it, do you know if it does?

I does but it says it's removable so nevermind.
My informational rat packet can be found at: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratinfopacket.html

Offline nokikitty

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 01:54:29 PM »
Is it better to take it out so as not to hurt their feet? The cage is powder coated, but I don't want to take any chances.

Offline Darksong17

• The Rat Info Packet
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 02:03:38 PM »
I just think it's best for at least one level to  not be wire so they can get off the wire if they want to. So it's best to take the bottom level wire out yes.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 02:05:58 PM »
Wire flooring won't hurt their feet, unless the spacing is too large. Still, you might as well take the wire out of the bottom. It's rather pointless, and I'm sure they'd prefer to walk on a smooth surface.

Offline Bluejackal

• WARNING: Human may bite.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 03:35:50 PM »
It might be better to keep the wire if you cover it in towels and littertrain your rats.  Those slide-out pans are EASILY chewed and you might wind up with escaped ratties.  That almost happened to me, once, and I don't have that cage anymore.  ^_^;;
RATS:
Girls: Famine and Plague
Boys: Cassiel, Ch'kir, Falkar, Gabriel, RMAX Hitomi, RMAX Jean-Luc Picard, L'mar'kai, Lucifer, Michael, Rincewind, Seth, Twoflower

STILL AT THE BREEDER:
RMAX Rhadavic
RMAX Slash

GIRLMICE:
Dieter, Midas, Nell, Toboe, Tori

FERRETS: Lazarus and Sariel

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 04:23:03 PM »
That was the first cage we had for our ratties.  We now have 2 combined to make one large multistory cage. They're ok (the best we can find in NZ), but there are a couple of things that are annoying.

First, you'll notice most of the bars on the cage are vertical, so you're limited to where you can hang things.  You basically have to hang ledges, water bottles, etc, where the horizontal bars are.  Second, those ladders suck.  They fall off the ledges so easily and are really flimsy, plus I didn't like the rats walking on them.  Make sure you have something to replace them.

When I was using it as a single cage, I took out the bottom wire, cut a hole in it (for a ladder), moved it up, and used as a whole second level.  It gives them much more room having a second full level as well as the 1/2 levels.   I cover the wire floor with sheets and towels, and although the rats occasionally rearrange them, they generally don't spend much time on the exposed wire.

I've also never had a problem with my rats chewing the slide out pan, although I wouldn't rule it our entirely.  A couple of my girls are chewers, too.  They can escape though, if you're not careful.  If they work had enough at it, the can push the pan out a few inches and squeeze out.  I've had to latch the pan to keep it in place.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 04:28:48 PM by Siana »

Offline nokikitty

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 04:27:05 PM »
Thanks, those are great tips. Yeah.. the cage will definitely go through a little modification, but I think overall it's a pretty ok deal.

Offline Bluejackal

• WARNING: Human may bite.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 04:32:57 PM »
My girlrats are CRAZY chewers and have destroyed two different plastic pans.  x.X  If I had a couple of my boys in a cage like that, it wouldn't be as big of a problem.  I had to get the girls a metal-bottomed cage because they would chew out otherwise.  *laughs*  It just depends on the rat.  ^_^
RATS:
Girls: Famine and Plague
Boys: Cassiel, Ch'kir, Falkar, Gabriel, RMAX Hitomi, RMAX Jean-Luc Picard, L'mar'kai, Lucifer, Michael, Rincewind, Seth, Twoflower

STILL AT THE BREEDER:
RMAX Rhadavic
RMAX Slash

GIRLMICE:
Dieter, Midas, Nell, Toboe, Tori

FERRETS: Lazarus and Sariel