Author Topic: Cage question  (Read 6463 times)

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
Cage question
« on: January 20, 2005, 02:45:50 PM »
I was looking at Martins site and found the Ferret 477--I love this cage!!  It is bigger than my RUUD and is six inches deeper.  The only problem is that it only comes in PVC--anyone out there that has pvc coating and had no problems?  MY rats chew their hammocks and their hidey box, toys etc.. I have never noticed them chewing the cage.  My travel cage is pvc and they don't bother with that but the longest amount of time they were in it was a week.  Any thoughts/opinions--experience?

Proud Mom to 
Corbin,Zac,Lucas,Noah and Liam
miss you Melka and Brady..

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Cage question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 02:52:14 PM »
When I used to only have two  :P rats, I bought the Martin's ferret carrier.  I think all the ferret cages only use PVC and not powder coated.  They didnt chew on the cage at all.  The bar spacing is 1"x1" so make sure they cant fit through the bars!
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 03:12:05 PM »
All my boys except the two youngest are WAY too big to fit through.  Nathaniel will be over three months by the time I put them in this cage.  I tried to put Nicky and Nate in the travel one that has 1x1 spacing to get them out of the yucky Coast cage which I hate, but didn't feel certain that Nate couldn't squeeze through.  He is growing fast so by the time next month rolls round he should be fine.  I like the texture of the pvc, it is softer and feels more solid than the powdercoating.  I am just concerned with chewing.  I am just trying to give everyone as much space as humanly possible.  Nine males in a cage that holds nine is pushing it I think. The bottom part of the cage holds ten rats, the barn topper holds 3.75.  Can be sectioned off to be it's own cage too or travel carrier.  I think it's a great idea for separating if need be or recovery etc.. I just don't want to spend $200 if people have found they get chewed to bits!!

Proud Mom to 

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 03:17:17 PM »
I dont blame you on the chewing, I know I wouldnt want to spend that kind of money just to have my boys chew it up.  But, I have not had a problem with them chewing on the PVC coating, and I think it looks better also, its nice and shiny  ;D.  I have the RUUD cage holding 5 males at the moment (with 2 additional in quarentine) so I am sure I am going to have to give them more room as I get more, as I know i will  ::).
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 10:58:40 PM »
Maybe you could e-mail Martin's and ask them about making this cage out of the same powder-coated wire as the rat cages?  I know they are really good about working with people on special orders.  :)
Ratless

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 05:40:54 PM »
Only available in the pvc and galvanized, I already checked.

Proud Mom to 

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 05:55:37 PM »
You can special order something like Powedercoating.  Email them directly and ask, if that's what you want.

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 05:56:45 PM »
Did you just check on the website, Paula, or did you write and ask them? I think Kendra meant e-mailing them and asking them nicely, since they are such an accomodating company. :)
islandsugargliders.com

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 06:45:08 PM »
I had a very nice conversation with the woman, it can't be done :(

Proud Mom to 

Offline LifeInCircuit

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 06:56:59 PM »
I had that cage, twice. I didn't have a big problem with the PVC being chewed, though they did get at it in a few places. I LOVE the cage though.

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 11:13:25 PM »
Jill and Hannah, it has something to do with them only powdercoating the 1/2 by 1 inch spaced wires.

Proud Mom to 

Offline jixie

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 04:03:32 PM »
Well, my homemade cage is pvc coated, and my first two boys never chewed it. The third boy however is a gnawer extraordinaire, and has been slowly but surely stripping the pvc off of all the wire. Now it looks awful and is a pain to clean, and once he's done with it I'm going to pitch it . So... it depends on the rat, but even if your current rats aren't chewers doesn't mean future ones won't be. Personally I would not spend a lot of money on a pvc coated cage.

Can they build they build a cage using that design but with 1 X 1/2 powder coated wire? It does look very nice, love the "roof".

Jixie

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 06:23:41 PM »
If they could do that I would think the woman would have mentioned it when I was trying to figure out what to buy. But I will ask.. Stuart is my BIGGEST chewer, ask my couch and Deanna's bedspread, hubby's jeans and every hammock I own but doesn't seem into the cage itself.  He is in a collapsable travel cage from Martins as he recovers so I will see in the next few days whether he thinks it's palatable~

Proud Mom to