Author Topic: Mid West Cage  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Tequillasmom

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thoes who have passed will always be in my heart
Mid West Cage
« on: January 24, 2005, 03:09:10 PM »
So, because Tequilla is a spolied little rat i bougt him the large mid west ferret cage. I bought 2 extra shelves in order to give him more room and placed a LARGE hammock in the dead centre of his cage IN CASE he does slip off a shelf he will fall into the hammock. Do you think this is a suitalbe cage for a rat?? anyone use this cage for them?? he also has tons of ropes and ladders and houses to play with/in. What do you think??

kris
Owner of:

Georgie and Tucker (yellow labs)
Tequilla, Stuart (RIP), Khaluah, Darwin(RIP), Nappy, 2Tone, Chinchilla(RIP), Fuzzy (RIP), Buster, Rabbit (RIP), Wonky, Salty, Mighty Mouse, MooMoo, Whappy, Paws, Mini Me, Big Mac, Whopper, Burger, Houdini, Mr. Peabody, PeeWee etc

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
Re: Mid West Cage
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 04:10:20 PM »
Do you have a picture or webpage?  It's very difficult to tell without those ...

But if you're asking if a ferret cage is suitable for a rat?  As long as the rat is old enough, big enough, to not fit through the bars, most are going to be fine.  We TOTALLY recommend powdercoating instead of galvanized.  And you need to be sure of the wire spacing, if there's wire, for the balconies/shelves or floors.

Offline Tequillasmom

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thoes who have passed will always be in my heart
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 09:37:23 AM »
Whats the difference between powdercoating and galvanized??
Owner of:

Georgie and Tucker (yellow labs)
Tequilla, Stuart (RIP), Khaluah, Darwin(RIP), Nappy, 2Tone, Chinchilla(RIP), Fuzzy (RIP), Buster, Rabbit (RIP), Wonky, Salty, Mighty Mouse, MooMoo, Whappy, Paws, Mini Me, Big Mac, Whopper, Burger, Houdini, Mr. Peabody, PeeWee etc

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 10:08:10 AM »
Galvanized is 'bare wire' that absorbes urine and will stink BADLY within a few months.  Powdercoating is a coating that is baked onto the wire.  It's WELL worth the extra money to get a powdercoated cage so that a few months down the road, you won't need to replace your cage.  Just do it right the first time.  :)

Offline ratmomma

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 10:50:54 AM »
If you nmessed up and bought galvanized, You can cover the bare wire floor with linoleum scraps. It's very easy to clean.  And it doesn't get stinky. scout gave me a cage that was rigged like this. I plan on buying a new powder coated cage soon. We need extra room!
"They are my PETS and I have the vet bill to prove it!"

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 11:20:04 AM »
I've had the midwest ferret playpen before for my rats long ago..  it's fine for larger rats, but smaller ones can escape easily.   an adult male would be fine in it though... 

now I use it for my african pouched rat..  heh.   he's destroyed the shelves BIG time because they're plastic!  heheee

smaller rats didn't destroy the shelves though.. but I had to wash the shelves off daily because they'd get pee on them, and refuse to use the litter box