Author Topic: cage question  (Read 5594 times)

Offline ratcuddles

cage question
« on: January 24, 2005, 10:51:36 PM »
Hello,
I 'm new to this forum. I read a couple of postings yesterday and thought its a good place to exchange advice on rats. I own 2 wonderful rats adopted from the Toronto Humane Society a year ago: George and Tobey (respectively father and son). I recently lost Chesnut  of old age (also adopted from the Humane Society 2 years ago).
I have a question about my cage. I bought this cage about  2 years ago because I wanted a more spacious cage for my rats; however it isn't powder coated. I didn't know the importance of this detail back then. Luckily it doesn't have bad odour maybe because I clean it throughly often. I was wondering if there is any product out in the market that would permit me to powder coat it on my own? Thanks.

nightsdoc

Re: cage question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 10:57:50 PM »
Powdercoating can be done at home but for the cost of the equipment and supplies, you can buy a new cage from Martins!

Do a Google search for "home" and "powdercoating".    You'll see what I mean.

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 11:02:43 PM »
I'd sell it before it really starts reeking, and then use the money to buy a Martin's (powdercoated, of course). Or you can just keep it for as long as it's functional (until it rusts up or stinks of urine) and then buy the powdercoated cage. :)
islandsugargliders.com

Offline ratcuddles

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 11:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice. What is this Martin cage/website? Are shipments done in Canada too or just the US?
I covered all the layers/shelves with cardboard and soft rugs (which I wash frequently), so that urine can't pass onto the bars easily.

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 02:27:35 AM »
Is there anywhere near you that builds trailers?  Like for horses or racecars?  The one where I used to live would powdercoat anything for a fee.
Ratless

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 08:44:59 AM »
I believe Martin's will ship to Canada.... however, you'd still have to pay duty on it, which makes it kind of spendy...

Any friends in Buffalo? ;)

Martin's web site is: http://www.martinscages.com -- they're located in Pennsylvania.

You might also consider looking in your Yellow Pages business directory for Metal Finishing. You may find someone who would powder coat it for you at a reasonable price. Not sure what the current prices are now... I know at one time someone was quoted $40 US.

Welcome! Toronto is one of my favorite cities. Witness my title under my name. LOL!

Offline Piper

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 04:27:45 PM »
Someone posted in another section of the forum saying they looked in the Yellow Pages for a place that would powder coat her cage.  It took a bunch of phone calls to difference places (a lot of places probably won't powder coat one cage), but she ended up finding a place that would do it for $20.

Not sure what section of the Yellow Pages she looked under though... I'll have to see if I can find the post... If you live near Long Island, New York I bookmarked the web page of the company and can give you the link.
~~~(---)8> JoAnna <8(---)~~~

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 04:30:07 PM »
Considering ratcuddles got their rats from the Toronto Humane Society, it's a good bet they live in the Toronto area. ;)

Offline Piper

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »
Haha - I totally missed that...  ::)

Anyway I found the post...

http://www.goosemoose.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=70&?topic=31345.msg322164#msg322164

It was Kittyrat and she said in the post that she looked online for places near her... so I guess you can try that.

Good luck!
~~~(---)8> JoAnna <8(---)~~~

Offline ratcuddles

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 10:11:42 PM »
Hey,
All these ideas sound very cool. Probably my best option is to do a google search in my area or have a look at the yellow pages and see what I can find. The Martin Cages look awsome, however I will take a look at what's offered in
Canada first, even though all of the bigger cages I saw in pet stores were not powder coated.

Offline SugarLovesRats

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gone but not forgotten, RIP Ben Ben.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 04:39:31 AM »
Just wanted to say Welcome to the board and I found some places that sell small animal cages and supplies (incase you decide to get a new one) in Canada. Hope it helps! :rattysmiley:

http://www.superpet.ca/default.asp/id/15

http://www.mayerspet.net/ (this one is in Toronto)

http://www.canada.com/shopping/results.aspx?cat_id=224&cls_id=553

Did I forget to ask......PICTURES????:hyper:
Clickme

Offline ratcuddles

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 11:52:05 PM »
Sorry for the slowness of response. Being new to this it took me a while how to figure out how to read the new responses to my posts. All the suggestions of the ratrules members are giving me new ideas. The websites are great.
I actually bought my cage from Super Pet 2 years or so ago. It is very spacious with 2 levels and 4 mezzanines, however all the bigger cages were not powder coated. Now I'm also exploring the other websites.
I'd really love to post pics of my 2 cuties and checked out the post that talks about pictures in the sections for new members; however I?m really having trouble uploading them. From what I understand I need to upload them into the goosemoose email that I created and then go back into my profile and select the link. I?m too confused!?! Could somebody help?

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2005, 12:31:29 AM »
Try using www.photobucket.com  it works great!
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure