Author Topic: *URGENT* Need Help for 2 high school rats and 1 mouse in Tampa, Florida  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Bigheart

• Ritten
Please help.  The local high school bought 2 rats and a mouse for psychology class.  After a month, they wanted to get rid of them.  The teacher was going to feed them to a snake but my daughter wouldn't allow it (being the animal lovers we are).   They are adorable - both males - on light brown and white and the other dark brown and white.  The mouse lives with them as if it were there baby - (it is black/white spotted).    Unfortunately, we already have 10 cats, 2 birds and fish.  (the cats were rescued). 

We aren't able to keep the rats/mouse and do not know what to do with them.  We have a really nice cage, toys, etc. for them that would go with them.
  I truly wish we could keep them but... they do deserve a better environment rather than being scared all of the time from the cats.   :heart:

Can someone please offer me advice as to what to do with them?  DESPERATE at this point --- they need a loving home. :angel:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 03:20:30 PM by Dearpie »

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Help for 2 high school rats and 1 mouse in Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 12:12:23 PM »
What part of Florida are you in? 

I shouldn't even ask, as hubby will kill me if I take in more animals, but I can't help myself...  :)

Offline Bigheart

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 12:13:41 PM »
Tampa

Offline Bigheart

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
willing to transport as needed within Florida.  I really do feel sorry for them.  They need love.

Offline Indigo

• Indi 5/1/03 - 5/8/04
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 02:01:13 PM »
Whoa, the mouse lives with and gets along with them?

Offline Bigheart

• Ritten
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
Yes, you actually see the rats giving the mouse food like it is their child.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 02:52:27 PM »
Oi.  Too close.  LOL  I'll talk to hubby tonight, but don't get your (or my ;) ) hopes up....  He keeps saying "no more rats!"...  If they were female, they might stand a chance, but probably not males...  *sigh*

Offline Bigheart

• Ritten
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 03:10:51 PM »
Anyone else reading?  Any advice of what to do with them?

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
I hope you don't mind, but I added a bit to the Subject, so people realize it's an urgent matter.  I'm in Tempe, and can't really help.  There are a few others in Florida and surrounding states, and hopefully they'll read your post.  If it comes down to it, can you find someone who'd got a post on Petfinders.org in your zip code and see if they'll also do a courtesy posting of these guys for you?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
Well, I didn't even get the whole story out before he said "You're not going to tell me these guys need a home are you?"...  SO, that's a no...  Unless you're willing to trade for a pair of gerbils?  ;)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
Re: *URGENT* Need Help for 2 high school rats and 1 mouse in Tampa, Florida
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 10:32:11 AM »
I can't help (all the way in MO) but I really suggest you buy a small critter keeper or something seperate for the mouse because 9 times out of 10 the rats WILL kill the mouse. I had a male of mine kill a 6 week old baby rat because she LOOKED the size of a mouse. I hope you are able to find them a forever home soon but until then please seperate the 2 species. Mice are natural prey to rats and they will kill them even if it appears they get along.

Offline Bigheart

• Ritten
Re: *URGENT* Need Help for 2 high school rats and 1 mouse in Tampa, Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 01:24:47 PM »
Thank you all for your advice, help and comments.  I greatly appreciate them and will follow thru on them.  I sure hope there is someone out there that would be able to house these guys......  I will keep trying!  Thanks again all. :angel: