Author Topic: Another Rat Cage Question  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Caitak

Another Rat Cage Question
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:09:26 PM »
Hey,

I know I've already posted a message about cages but I'm still worried that I'll get the wrong sort and I'll end up hurting my babies.

Just in the last post someone said about ratty feet getting caught between the cage wires. If I was to get a cage which posed this kind of problem is there anything that you can cover the wire with?

Obviously wood would become urine soaked and smelly, and could cause problems if it was the wrong sort and splintered or whatever. I guess plastic would be okay, but what about getting it to fit, sharp edges and everything? Are there certain types of plastic that could be harmful? What if the rats chew it?

Would fabric be an option? Obviously this would be chewed and would need to be washed.

I'm just curious of the advantages and disadvantages of these different things. My Dad owns a computer shop and he can get all kinds of things from his suppliers so I'm not really ruling anything out. I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions here, I'm just determined to be the best ratty owner I can be!

;)

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
Re: Another Rat Cage Question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »
If you get a Martin's cage, they already come with the 1/2" x 1/2" wire spacing on all floors and balconies.  I've never had a problem with that size wire yet.  However, quite a few people will still cover the insides of their cages with plastic needlepoint canvas, tshirts, towels, bath mats, carpet runners, etc ... there's quite a few things that you can use.  It will all need to be washed, some things more than others.  :)  Have fun 'decorating!   :balloon:

The next issue though, is the size of the cage.  The biggest one you can afford, and be sure it's powder coated.  You wouldn't want to get the 'smallest cage' they can live in, but the largest you can accomodate and buy!  And remember, it's always worth it to do it right the first time around and pay an extra $15 or $20 to have quite a bit more space.   Rats do best with an extra amount of space, rather than too small of a space.

Offline Caitak

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 04:52:36 PM »
Are Martin's cages available in the UK?

The reason I'm asking is because there's a pet shop that I know of that sells reasonably priced ferret and chinchilla cages. I've seen a couple of smaller chinchilla cages which I think would be good because they have a fair amount of space in them for running, hanging things, chasing each other, extra rats, etc.

But I was warned about getting them because of the floor spacing can trap little feet.

My last rat cage was wonderful, it was a plastic rabbit hutch style cage, but the problem with it was lack of height. There wasn't any head room for my guys, I couldn't hang things for them and they missed out on the joys of hammocks, because when I put on it I couldn't open the lid if they were in it, due to the weight of three fat squishybutts!

I'm not sure where I could get a cage powder coated around here. What does this involve (I'm guessing coating it with some sort of powder, but humour me here)? What does it mean for your rats? Will most cages that I buy here be powder coated?

Thanks again for the advice.

I did read just now about using linoleum, I could probably get some cheap stuff like that round here (living on an island limits things somewhat) and it'd wipe clean, and if it was chewed it could be cheaply and easily replaced. So I'd be tempted to do that (plus I could co-ordinate the pattern/design to match my room, always a bonus!)

Thanks

Cait

:)

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 04:58:31 PM »
Terenziani brand cages are popular amongst the UK folks here on the forum.  They're the closest equivalent to Martin's in the US. 

What brand cage are they in the local pet shop?  We may have them here, and can offer advice.
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Offline Caitak

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 05:08:32 PM »
I'll look up the Terenziani cages.

I'm not entirely sure of the cage make off hand, when I say local it's a couple of stops away on the train, but I'm planning to head down there next week to check them out and measure them. I just got a unit last weekend to put the cage on, so I need to make sure it'll fit on that as well.

One other thing I've just thought of and figure I should ask here, rather than starting another thread.

Will keeping the rats in the same room as a dehumidifer harm them? I know they tend to have fragile respiritory systems and I've recently had a problem with mould at home, the only way to solve this problem is having a dehumifier in one of the upstairs rooms, in fact it sucks almost a full bucket of water out of the air up there every day.

Should they be kept out of the way of this, ie, in another room? Or will it not cause them significant bother, if the door to the room was left open and it was on the other side of the room or whatever.

I'm determinte to find out as much as I can in preparation for these guys, I won't be getting them until I move home some time after April, you can't understand how much it hurts to look at all your pictures and posts about your fuzzy friends and just knowing that I won't get mine for ages yet... well you probably do... at least I'll be prepared.

;)

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 08:36:46 AM »
I'm sure the mold would be more harmful to them than the dehumidifier.

I don't think I would put the cage -next- to the dehumidifier, but I don't think they'd be in danger being in the same room... maybe across the room? :)

Offline Caitak

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 10:11:20 AM »
That's great thanks.

I'd like to have the rats in my room, which is where the dehumidifier resides, but they'll be on the opposite side of the room next to the open door, which should be okay for them. (Otherwise the dehumifier'll be next to the door and the rattles in the corner, either way there's a fair distance between them).

I'm off to look at cages next week (Wednesday I think) with a friend. I figured I should take someone along with me to drag me away if they have any little rats which look at me with that look.

That's all my questions for the moment, but trust me, I'll be back with more later!

Offline Caitak

I think I've found the cage I'm going to get... (opinions please)
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 04:13:45 PM »
I'm sorry to keep flooding this board (this nice shiney new board). At the moment my sole purpose in life (other than figuring out which classes I have tomorrow) is to make sure that my rats (who probably haven't even been conceived yet!) have the best home that I can give them.

I've set myself a budget of about 100 because I managed to save a lot of money from what I had set myself to spend in my first University semester, and I feel like I should put the extra to some good use ;)

On the advice on the people on this board I checked out this page and I'm definitely leaning towards the Terenziani Moore cage.

I've sent the owner of the site an e-mail asking about delivery, but if I get the information I want to hear then I think I'll definitely go for it.

I've check on the rat cage calculator and it can easily hold five rats, which means that it'll have plenty of space for two rats plus all their toys. The spacing between the wires looks about right, and I spoke to my Dad and he's friends with a local guy who'll let me have free lino off cuts which I can use to cover the mesh floors.

I've read the reviews on the fancy rat website that I was given the address for. It's a self assembly kit, from what I can gather, so that'll suit me fine, my Dad's pretty good at putting these things together. One of the doors opens inwards, but it appears that this is easily changed, and it has a mesh floor (I think) which someone mentioned they'd removed and disposed of - which I would probably do myself (well, not dispose of, I'd keep it around in case it proved useful or whatever) so that they weren't walking on lino all the time.

I just want to measure the filing cabinet it'd be on in my room and see how high up it'd go, and to make sure it'd fit onto the surface.

Does anyone have any comments about this cage? Good points, bad points?

I'm going to take a look at the pet shops here in town and perhaps take in a print out of the cage to see if they can do it cheaper than online, but if not, I'm probably going to go with this cage from this site.

Thanks

Cait

:)

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 04:22:41 PM »
Hey, I just merged your new thread with your previous cage thread... just to avoid confusion and clutter.

;D

You can always bump your previous threads back up to the top to continue/update them -- no need to start anew. ;D And then everyone can keep up with the same topic (in this case, your personal quest for a cage) all in one thread...

Offline Caitak

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 02:09:51 AM »
Thanks for that Suebee.

Personal quest for a cage... I like the sound of that  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 06:37:50 AM »
here is a UK based rat web forum review page

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/resources/productreviews/