Author Topic: baby cage  (Read 3195 times)

Offline lilblue_frog

• I'm a llama!
    • Baltimore Chinchillas
baby cage
« on: January 28, 2005, 12:31:54 PM »
ok so I've been on this forum for a while, but haven't really participated much. I never did get any ratties....until...

Well, I may be getting some now. A friend of mine had purchased a female rat from a petstore (numero uno mistako!) and surprise surprise, she's preggers. She wants to keep the females, and since I'm partial to squishy boys myself, I'm thinking about taking two to add to my family. Problem is, I need a cage. The boys are going to be just weaned when I get them so it definitely needs to be baby safe. I was hoping to get a super pet cage since I've heard good things, and I can get them at a discounted price. All the ones with ample space I've looked at though have spacing that looks too big for baby rat heads.

What would you guys suggest for baby ratties and how long would it last them until they grow out of it? I'm hoping if I'm putting out a decent amount to get a cage that it will last a good while before I have to get a bigger one. I've very indecisive on this one. help! :BlueDumboBigEyes:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming----wow----what a ride."

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
Re: baby cage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 12:54:16 PM »
If you buy a Super Pet cage, you can wrap the cage all over in hardware cloth (with 1/2"x1/2" squares) to keep the babies from escaping.  It's ugly, but works.  Depending on how fast they grow, it will probably have to be left on until they reach 3-4 months. 

You can buy a Martin's brand cage and keep the same cage throughout the lifetime of your rats. 

Or, you can do what I do and have a pile of cages in my house (and a crabby husband) and just use the ones you need at the time  ;D
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 01:09:06 PM »
Martins cages are great, I've done the hardware wire thing before and its a bit on the time consuming side, and man it hurt my hands.  I have opted a long time ago to be like kmw with the crabby husband and a variety of cages  :shocked2:  thought I was the only one! lol
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline lilblue_frog

• I'm a llama!
    • Baltimore Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 01:18:48 PM »
I honestly do not like Martin's cages, but thank you for the suggestions.  Hardward cloth could work, but I'd rather not go that route. Are there any cages with solid shelves that have baby safe spacing and are big enough for 2 adult rats?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but
rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming----wow----what a ride."

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
  • How could you NOT love those furry little faces?
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »
Hi, Lilblue_frog! I'm like you - I LOVE SuperPet cages. They're good-looking, easy to clean, have lots of space and don't cost an arm and a leg. Martins cages are very well-loved on this forum, but I have never really seen the attraction, especially when so many folks cover the wire shelves. Why spend all that money on a cage you have to modify?

At any rate, I have a SuperPet Chinchilla/Ferret Care Home that cost me $65 dollars. It has 1,280 square feet of floorspace, which is larger than all but Martins two largest (the Tower and the Ruud) and costs less than all but Martins smallest (the Cabin). It measures 32 x 20 x 30 and has three adjustable shelves that make up an entire second floor. The cage calculator says this cage is big enough for four rats, but I'm only putting three in it, and two should absolutely love it. (On a side note, what I really want is the SuperPet Deluxe Multi-floor Ferret Home - it's exactly the same base dimensions as what I have, but taller, with twice as many levels and 2,560 square inches of floor space! *sighs....wipes drool off keyboard*)

Now, unto your question. I had the exact same problem with this cage, as the wires are an inch apart (which I think is standard for SuperPet cages) and ratties under three months old can squeeze right through them. You can either 1) wrap the cage with some type of material (cardboard worked with my first rat, but you'd have to use something a little more impervious with a more curious or determined rat) or 2) buy a temporary cage until they are big enough to go into their permanent home (this is what I have done with my other two rats). The company Ware makes a 24 x 12 x 12 that would do nicely and doesn't cost much at all. I have had it for many years and, though it's getting worn where the clasps are, it works great as a traveling/hospital/temporary cage.

Good luck and welcome to the board!
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.