Author Topic: Do bird cages make good cages for rats?  (Read 11603 times)

Offline Vera75

Do bird cages make good cages for rats?
« on: January 29, 2005, 05:54:10 AM »
I'm looking in to buying a bigger cage for my rats and was looking at the bird cages online. Does anybody have a bird cage for their rats? I wanted to give them enough floor space but also lots of space for climbing. What style of cage should I look for?

Thanks!  :)

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
Re: Do bird cages make good cages for rats?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 06:36:43 AM »
well if your going to be purchasing online  ;D, I suggest getting a martins (www.martinscages.com) they have GREAT cages for great prices, the "walls" and balconies are made specificly for ratti feet.

But otherwise, as for bird cages, get as big as you can ;)
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Caitak

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 08:20:43 AM »
I'd imagine that if you were going to get a bird cage you'd have to make sure that there wasn't anywhere that the rats could fall from and hurt themselves as most of the larger ones are taller than your averge rat cage.

Also check the spacing between the bars! I got a plastic rabbit hutch cage for my last lot of rats and they were able to squeeze out through the bars on top for a couple of weeks. I didn't lose any of them because once they were up there they didn't have anywhere else to go, but I imagine that could be a problem if the bars were vertical.

You'd be best checking the cage calculator as well just to make sure that it can hold the number of rats that you have.

Other than that, and what sort I can't really help, I'm currently on my own 'personal quest for a cage' as Suebee put it.

;)

Good luck in your quest!

Offline RATITUDE

• CJ'S RAT RESCUE
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 09:45:19 AM »
I use nothing but bird cages, actually bigger aviaries. We have a bird farm by us that I get all my cages from and they're much cheaper than rat cages. You will have to add shelving, ladders and such for your rats to climb on though.  I bought a plastic storage cabinet from Lowe's and cut the shelves and such to size to fit the cage and zip tied them in. I also cut plexi glass for the shelf edge to prevent falls. I made the ladders out of wood and painted them with non toxic paint, added some toys and hammocks and there you have it. The main thing is size. Make sure they're big enough like Caitak posted. Also the bar spacing should be no bigger then 1/2". Here's a pic of one of my aviaries that my 3 big boys are in;

Here's one of the huge cage the girls are in, its over 5' long;

and then a couple of the cheaper priced ones, I think they were around $50 each;

I hope this helps you out and gives you some ideas. Good luck.
The Girls - Sara, Vivien, Eva, Heidi, Myrtle, Dorothy, Sonya, Tina, Ruby
The Guys - Sam, Charlie, Gus, Keno, Wayne, Garth, Milo
Gone But Not Forgotten - Eugene, Inga, Gwendolyn, Bertha, Matilda, Roxie, Betsy, Thelma, Louise, Zsa-Zsa, Jaq

Feithline

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 05:54:02 PM »
I use a open-dome bird cage for my girls' and it's absolutely wonderful.

The levels are individually bought at Petsmart, since I have no handy-crafty skills.

The area of the littered floor is a little small for any large hutches or anything in this particular cage, but my girls never use them. They like their giant roll-a-nest and kleenex box much more!

The top level you see there is actually the metal "grid" they supplied for the bottom of the cage for it's traditional use of acting as a floor and letting the bird-poops go through to the pull-out tray on the bottom. I put a few ceramic tiles on it and cushioned those with some fabric, and it's perfect.

And if you're curious about the 'open dome' part, it's two sliding sections that latch together when closed, and rest at the bottom of the curve when open.

Offline Tizzrah

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 04:22:14 AM »
:shocked2:

RATITUDE, you wouldn't want to build one of those awesome cages for me and ship it all the way over here, would you?   ;D

Offline Beck

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 06:12:16 AM »
I converted a bird cage into a rat cage for a friend once. Unfortunately i don't have any pics but what I did was added levels by just zip tying some of those cake cooling trays inside the cage and using bird ladders bought from the pet shop.. I've also done the same thing in one of myrat cages to give the guys abit more room. Only thing with this idea is the spaces on the coolers are fairly far apart so the new levels need to be covered with something like cardboard or newspaper (I cover all my wire levels in all cages with a few layers of newspaper anyway  -  paranoid about bumblefoot and just change the paper over every few days..

Offline RATITUDE

• CJ'S RAT RESCUE
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 09:51:09 AM »
Tizzrah,
     Thank you for the compliment, I tend to go overboard in everything I build.  ;D Actually I'm going to start building and selling them but the shipping back east would be astronominical. The company that RMCA So. Cal. got their cages from quit making them so I'm going to see how the "pre set up cages" would sell. The club is  having an adoption event at our house the end of February so I'll put a couple cages together for that and see if anyone is interested.
The Girls - Sara, Vivien, Eva, Heidi, Myrtle, Dorothy, Sonya, Tina, Ruby
The Guys - Sam, Charlie, Gus, Keno, Wayne, Garth, Milo
Gone But Not Forgotten - Eugene, Inga, Gwendolyn, Bertha, Matilda, Roxie, Betsy, Thelma, Louise, Zsa-Zsa, Jaq

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 08:16:02 PM »
Make sure to close those sliding door/windows with twist-ties. Many smaller birdcages have them. Otherwise you will have rats lifting them up and escaping like in the Secret of NIMH.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Feithline

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 08:20:30 PM »
Make sure to close those sliding door/windows with twist-ties. Many smaller birdcages have them. Otherwise you will have rats lifting them up and escaping like in the Secret of NIMH.

Or you can get Martin's Latch-Spring. They work wonders!  $.75 each. I use them even though my girls have never escaped when I had forgotten to put them back on. I use them more to keep the cage doors open!

Offline Vera75

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 03:34:48 AM »
Thanks for all the replies! And great photos of your cages Ratitude and Feithline! Thanks for those, really liked looking at them.  :)