Author Topic: Wire Floors.. does it hurt their feet?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
Wire Floors.. does it hurt their feet?
« on: January 30, 2005, 10:44:44 PM »
I have a 10 gallon 3 sotry tank topper that I got from martins. I'm wondering if the wire floors hurts my girl's feet. I check their feet about everyday, they don't look any different, but I'm still worried.

What can I use to cover up the wire floor.. they both chew clothes and towels
Run your little hearts out at the bridge, Oreo, Jet, and Licky!

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Wire Floors.. does it hurt their feet?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 11:14:42 PM »
The wire floor spacing on Martin's are typically 1/2" x 1/2".  And no, it doesnt hurt their feet.  But from what I have heard from other members of this forum is that they do cover the wire anyway.  I use towels, but my boys dont chew.  If towels dont work, you can but the plastic needlepoint mesh (you can buy it at the craft section at walmart or any other fabric/craft store), but that is hard to keep clean.  Another option would be to buy linoleum (sp?).  I personally have never used linoleum and I am not sure what kind to use.  Maybe other people will be a little more knowledgable...  I hope this helped a little!
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 11:32:23 PM »
I have a RUUD and I don't cover any of the floors, other than tossing some towels or baby blankets in the cage for the ras to snuggle with (they usually drag them into the igloo and leave the floors bare). While all my girls are not even a year old yet, I haven't developed any problems with bumblefoot, sprained ankles, sore feet, etc. Some people cover their floors, but if you have a floor with a safe wire surface such as Martin's (i.e. half inch spacing) you should be fine. :)
islandsugargliders.com

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 07:38:09 AM »
As has been said, the bar spacing on Martin's cages is perfect for little rattie feet. You can still cover it though, if you'd like. i'd suggest tossing in some baby blankets (because I refuse to use old rags for my spoiled girls...lol) etc anyway, and I'm sure they'll appreciate it...even if they do chew. They may get bored of it, anyway. My girls did.

My cage is a ferret cage, so the bar spacing is too big. I used to use plastic canvas, but found that it was terrible to clean. I've recently (yesterday, lol!) switched to vinyl tiles. It seems to work okay so far. I'd like to try linoleum as well, but don't have any around right now.

How that helped a bit!

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 09:07:49 AM »
I don't cover the balconies, but in my Martin's R-695, I cover the full middle floor with vinyl carpet runner. I cut it to fit, punch holes in it, and use cable ties to tie it down. I find it easier to clean than needlepoint canvas, which I have used in the past.

It does need to be wiped every few days. :)

Offline PinkPaws

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a sucker for a furry face.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 12:03:15 PM »
I Use little fleece leftovers from hammocks and what not. I use them in their kitchen area, under the food bowl...and in the top level where they sleep. They don't drag it around much, lol.
Currently Harboring:
~~~~
No more ratties.:(  Ruby and Roxy passed in May '07 from a strep virus. Riley was PTS Oct 07 inoperable reoccuring mass. Guinea Pigs, Suey and Carmela.
Basenji, Cairo. Red Eared Slider, Turtilla
One-legged Cockatiel, Hoppy 
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Buster

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 03:11:41 PM »
thanks that helped alot.
Run your little hearts out at the bridge, Oreo, Jet, and Licky!

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 04:30:12 PM »
i want linoleum! lol, seems so easy, wipe, wipe wipe, lol.

I personally use a baby blanket in the "base" (right now at my wal-mart they are 2 for 2!), with news paper down on the balconies/middle floor, with jeany like material then fleecy material in their baskets, and under their hidey box. :)

jeeze, gotta clean the cage tonight to.....ahh, ya know I love'em though! ;) lol spoiled little bRATS. :D
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 04:37:43 PM »
I always use vinyl carpet runner... no seams. :D