Author Topic: NEED HELP WITH MARTINS CAGES ( NEVERMIND ^^ )  (Read 8826 times)

Offline Xioyux

• Q(0_o)----O o(X_X)o K.O.
NEED HELP WITH MARTINS CAGES ( NEVERMIND ^^ )
« on: February 03, 2005, 05:21:07 PM »
Four weeks ago I orderd a Powder Coated R-690 "RAT TOWER" cage from Martinscages for $76.75

It finally came today.

Ok, 1st of all. what exactly is powder coated? I don't see ANY difference in the material from regular material. It's just BLACK color square cage. What is the Powder coated part?

2. No instructions of any kind. No equipment included to connect the four sides of the cage

3. Came over two weeks late than they said it would :|
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 06:20:03 PM by Xioyux »

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
Re: NEED HELP WITH MARTINS CAGES (VERY DISSAPOINTED)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 05:24:25 PM »
The black coating IS the powder coating.  The other choice is no coating - bare galvanized metal which absorbs the urine odor until the cage stinks so badly you throw it out. 

You should have received a packet of metal c-rings and a tool to use to bend them into a circle to hold the cage together.  If you don't have them, call Martin's. 

We can't help you with the shipping, we're not delivery gods  :yelcutelaugh:
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 05:25:41 PM »
You most likely do or did have them, they are just easy to lose in all that paper! I know I almost threw away mine when my first Martin's cage arrived.
islandsugargliders.com

Offline Swedish Nightingale

• Posts Too Much!
  • Wonder Girl
    • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ~ The Runboard
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 05:27:31 PM »
The black is powder-coated. If it wasn't, it would be silvery. And it just keeps the metal from eroding. It's fine, don't worry about it.  :)

As for putting it together... the cage should have come with a brown envelope, full of clasps and a little... oh, what's that word, I'm blanking... anyway, the little thing that lets you squeeze the clasps together. (I can't believe I'm forgetting the stupid word! Yes, please call me an idiot, it's early-onset dementia, I'm sure... struck down at 21...!) The actual going together seemed pretty self-explanatory to me... although that might also be instructions in that envelope? I can't remember. Anyway, it didn't seem hard to figure out; I managed it by my little, girly self, so...  ;) Good luck! (AND WHAT'S THAT STUPID THING CALLED?!?! AAAAAGGGH!)

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 05:51:42 PM »
Erm.. yeah.  Like the others said... 

I got my cage from Martin's too, except that I got green powder coating - wooo!  (coz I'm speshul, n' all..)

They are an excellent company - I'd be very surprised if you didn't recieve the directions and materials to put the cage together.. if you didn't, just give them a call.  They'll definately help you out.

*loves Martins*

Offline RNPaulie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 05:56:24 PM »
How did you get green powdercoating?  It comes in COLORS???? I just ordered mine, I want a color whine...

Proud Mom to 
Corbin,Zac,Lucas,Noah and Liam
miss you Melka and Brady..

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 06:04:24 PM »
Martins sells some cages on eBay sometimes, which is how I got mine.  :)

Mine is actually the uh..  *goes to look at Martin site*  F-435, which is made for ferrets, but mine has smaller holes than the ferret one.  I also had them add another level and ramp for me, but those are black.  You can't really tell though.  :)

Offline Xioyux

• Q(0_o)----O o(X_X)o K.O.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 06:19:17 PM »
You most likely do or did have them, they are just easy to lose in all that paper! I know I almost threw away mine when my first Martin's cage arrived.

Thanks, I feel EXTREMELY stupid.

Feithline

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 06:46:45 PM »

Thanks, I feel EXTREMELY stupid.

don't worry about it  ;D we've all jumped to silly conclusions w/o looking thoroughly

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
Re: NEED HELP WITH MARTINS CAGES ( NEVERMIND ^^ )
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 07:01:48 PM »
Yeah, I think everyone was a little overwhelmed with Martin's cages. After about half of those little metal rings I was worried about tendonitis in my wrists.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline ShantiDass

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 07:06:39 PM »
You might want to put it together with zip ties so you can take it apart easier.  Or, at least just use a few or clothes pins or something before committing with the c-rings.  I've heard that several people have put pieces on backwards and having to undo those c- rings isn't fun.  I have mine done with zip ties of all colors.  It kind of has that rainbow effect.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline jessiree

• Posts Too Much!
  • I live for rattie kisses.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 08:13:08 PM »
let me second those zip ties!

I have 3 martins cages and all are put together with zip ties--they even come in pretty colors!  they're much easier to use and easier to take off if you need to.
Love a rescue rat and they will love you back!

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 09:33:26 PM »
You might want to put it together with zip ties so you can take it apart easier. Or, at least just use a few or clothes pins or something before committing with the c-rings. I've heard that several people have put pieces on backwards and having to undo those c- rings isn't fun.

*raises hand*

I'm one of those!  I wound up putting the front of my R-695 on upside down AND inside out when I put it together...  I'm real smaht!  lol

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 09:51:31 PM »
Zip ties are the ONLY way to go!!! 

Good luck!

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 09:52:43 PM »
Zip ties are the ONLY way to go!!!

Definately!!  Zip ties!

Offline Swedish Nightingale

• Posts Too Much!
  • Wonder Girl
    • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ~ The Runboard
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 03:35:59 AM »
You might want to put it together with zip ties so you can take it apart easier. Or, at least just use a few or clothes pins or something before committing with the c-rings. I've heard that several people have put pieces on backwards and having to undo those c- rings isn't fun.

*raises hand*

I'm one of those!  I wound up putting the front of my R-695 on upside down AND inside out when I put it together...  I'm real smaht!  lol

Yep, me too. 'Gosh, that looks strange... why is the clasp for the door on the inside of the cage?................. Oh.'  :confused:

Offline ShadowWolf

• Posts Too Much!
    • Shadow Brook Rodentry
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 04:07:25 AM »
Zip ties = finger saver!   ;D

Dream the dreams that have never been dreamt. - David Bower

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 08:44:17 AM »
My finger saver was my engineer husband! LOL!

"Here, dear, you put this infernal thing together..."

Offline critterkeeper

• I could NOT be any cuter! Well, maybe..........
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 11:34:14 PM »
Please don't laugh at me, because I know this is a very silly question. I had a deprived childhood, and I no one ever took the time out to tell me what a zip tie is. I know now, of course, what I don't know is how to take them off.......... is it at all possible without cutting them. THANKS
The proud trainee of 22 Rats:
Loki~Nemo~Snoopy~Paris~Dipsy~Kiwi~Mac~Otis~Coconut~
Billy~Mr. Maple~Twinkie~Montegue~Callie~and 8 new Jelly Beans!!!
3 Guinea Pigs:
Winnie~Mitzi~Hershey
1 Cat
~Sami~

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 11:37:45 PM »
You have to cut off the cable ties in order to remove them, unfortunately.  Otherwise, it would be MUCH cheaper.

Offline amylou

• I Love My Rats!!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 01:00:58 PM »
Just sent off my order for the R-680 and now you guys post this about all the hard work to put them together.  Would you all really suggest using zip ties?

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2005, 01:07:25 PM »
I had my engineer husband put it together, so we didn't use zip ties, but if I were to assemble one myself, I would probably use a few zip ties to set it up, then go in with the c-rings. Since I have had chewers in the past that loved to nibble on the zip ties I used to hold down the vinyl carpet runner, I'm wary of using them for long-term cage assembly.

But that's just me. :)

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 01:38:44 PM »
I never had any problem with putting the c-rings on my R-670.  Granted, it is a little smaller than the others.  I would be worried that they would eventually chew through the zip ties, which would be hard to tell if they were the black ones.  The c-rings do start to get a little rusty with cleaning.  Just be really, really careful to get all the pieces laid out exactly according to the directions first, because if you put a panel on wrong with the c-rings, it will be a heck of a time unbending each one.
Ratless

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2005, 01:53:52 PM »
I've had zipties on one of my cages for well over a year, not a single problem.  It's very easy to replace any ties that wear out or get nibbled.   BUT, if they begin chewing, then going with the C-clamps is best.   I think for the most part, MOST people don't have to worry about them.  Each rat is an individual though.  But DEFINITELY start with the zip ties, because as mentioned, it's amazing how many people put the cage together wrong the first time.  OR have to disassemble it to move or whatever.  There's no guarantees in life!

Offline amylou

• I Love My Rats!!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2005, 12:17:40 AM »
Well I guess I will try the zip ties first and see how the girls do with it.  Actually I will only have one girl in it until the 25th when my new girl can join her.