Author Topic: Help Rehabing a Rabbit  (Read 4453 times)

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
Help Rehabing a Rabbit
« on: February 08, 2005, 09:34:49 PM »
Yesterday we had a client bring in a wild rabbit.  She saw her get hit by a car & I guess thought she could save her.  The bun had a head tilt to the left which has gotten better.  Along with peeling the fur off her rear end.  She is starting to eat on her own today.  We are still syringe feeding her baby food.  She is doing good.  Anyone have any advice?  Or know how to rehab a rabbit?  I might be able to get away with keeping her in a cage in my garage.  But I don't want to keep her forever.  Help!  Chelsea
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
Re: Help Rehabing a Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 09:51:06 PM »
Let's see.
Keep her warm, and as far away from other animals and noise as possible.  Bunnies can die from stress when hearing too much noise.
Offer her rabbit chow, oats (like old-fashioned Quaker oats), greens (like dandelion, kale, parsely) and hay.  And fresh water.  Weigh her daily to monitor her weight; if it doesn't drop  then she's eating on her own. 
If she's still able to use her hind legs and is moving pretty well, it's a good idea to give her a chance.  Cage rest, QUIET surroundings and good nutrition give her a good chance. There's been some controversy about steroid use to reduce swelling following head trauma; check with a vet.
Handle her AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. 
The wound on the hind end; I assume you work at a vet's office; SSD cream is great for helping wounds heal.  Do NOT debride it after the first cleaning; just keep adding SSD cream to cover it over.  Rabbits do not typically groom SSD cream off of themselves.
Contact a licensed wildlife rehabber (as I newly am!) to see if they can take her.  Her healing may take a while.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline taku

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 09:52:16 PM »
I know the first thing to find it is if it's an actual wild rabbit or one of the many many domestic rabbits that are dropped off outdoors. People think domestic rabbits are the same as the classic cottontail or jackrabbit, and can survive. Wild rabbits and domestic rabbits cannot even breed together.
  I've never rehabitated a wild rabbit, but there are excellent resources on the net.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/
http://www.rabbit.org

I belong to a net group called "etherbun" through yahoo that mainly deals with assisting companion rabbits and their care. It's ran by Veterarians and researchers at the University of Miami. They may have further information, especially if the rabbit is not an actual "wild" rabbit. It's at :

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/etherbun.html

Perhaps local house rabbit societies may help with someone who works with rehabing wild rabbits.
 Good luck!!!

[edited to fix a link typo that... led to bad places... LOL! - suebee]
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 10:41:58 AM by Dearpie »
People can be made to believe any lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true.-Terry Goodkind

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 01:28:41 AM »
Housing a rabbit in a garage is not suitable living conditions, especially if it's injured/sick and needs proper supervision and care.

Try locating a local animal rehabilitation center in your area.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline taku

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 12:14:50 PM »
UGH!!! sorry suebee..didn't check my post after I posted it.....OOPS. Thank you berry muches :X:X
People can be made to believe any lie, either because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it's true.-Terry Goodkind

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 08:29:48 PM »
I doubt she will end up at my house.  My parents wouldn't agree with it.  She would be in the house if it was up to me.  She is doing much better.  She is eating on her own today.  Only baby food though.  She's drinking too.  We are slathering Neosporin all over her scalped rear end.  She is actually headed straight & hopping today.  We did end up using Azium.  Her head is still sensitive.  She's a strong little girl.  I am so proud of her.  I think the vet is looking for a rehad place, but we want a decent one before we let her go there.  The people that brought her in may end up keeping her too.  We aren't sure yet.  Thanks for the help.  Chelsea
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤