Author Topic: helping others decide which Martins to get  (Read 45909 times)

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • why do rat noses fit so perfectly in your ears...
helping others decide which Martins to get
« on: February 17, 2005, 11:42:26 AM »
the lines are set at one foot intervals with my 500g bonbon as a refernce rat

CLICK HERE to see a reference map of the ENTIRE LINE OF Martins Cages

REMEMBER: Martins will gladly make almost any of their cages with rat sized wire (1"x 1/2"), all you have to do is ask.

a closeup of the 685 and the 695 empty and full

feel free to post reference pictures of your cage next to something that can be easily referenced like a tv (and say what size the tv is), a person, a rat on top, a computer, or something that lets people know how big the cage actually looks in person.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:55:28 AM by angelratgirl »

Offline Bratratbeds

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The furry children own my pocketbook...
    • Brat Rat Beds
Re: helping others decide which Martins to get
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »
You know this might be something Goose might want to put in the Reference Desk section that would make it easier to find and might limit the amount of "What size Martin's to buy" repeats if you know what I mean?  I would think with as many members that there are here it wouldn't be to hard to get a photo of most of Martin's cages with "reference" photos, as it were. 

What do you think Goose?
"Success is not an entitlement, it must be earned"  Howard Shultz, Chairman Starbucks
"Affordable beds for your furry children."
www.bratratbeds.com
"Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are somebody's going to get hurt." Alton Brown

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 12:03:03 PM »
Actually, that's more in the realm of the stuff I generally do here. ;)

And that's what this section of the site is for (no one ever looks in the Reference Desk, anyway).

I'll sticky this for now. :)

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 12:17:28 PM »
Great idea, angelratgirl. That chart is really helpful. I know there is one rat cage from Martin's (the particular name evades me right now) that *looks* huge, but in actuality is small for even a pair of rats. This will help newbies who might not know that. :)
islandsugargliders.com

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 04:54:33 PM »
Great idea!  We definately need to make clear the evilness of the H-600-HR.  It looks so big on the site, bit it's actually sooo small.  I made that mistake once already. :P
~Julie

Offline Adventure Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moose says, "Get in my Belly"
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »
I have a 680, 695 and a 699 I'll take pics tomorrow of them all side by side!! Oh and I have a 670 (I think that's what it is) and another small Martins. Oh how I love their cages. I wish I could afford to put all my rats in a Martins Cages :-[

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • I used my wings, and mommy cried.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 12:15:32 AM »
You all are so wonderful!! That chart is PERFECT, and I can't wait to see the 690 full.  ;D Thank you, thank you!!
~Kalena

Offline brandy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 12:02:59 AM »
Oh wow, that chart is terrific!  What a great idea!  The pics on their site are SO misleading - nothing to give you any sense of scale.
Brandy 1, cancer 0

Zero rats currently.
RIP: Snickers, Twizzler, Nestle, Valrhona, Cadbury, Elizabeth, Victoria, Artemis, Cassie, Lucy, and Chica.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 10:17:59 AM »
*POKE*  Where's the rest of the cages??  They need to be added to the first post!  :)

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 07:45:14 PM »
i sent my charts along to the martinscage company and these are the messages i got back.

when i sent the rat chart:

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on including a chart to help recognize the sizes of our rat cages.  I LOVE the idea!  And I truly enjoyed your chart.  That must have taken some time to make!

Quite some time back ( years )  I had e-mailed our webpage designer about adding some type of cage calculator after so many of our customers had e-mailed me about the cage calculator.  Unfortunately, our webpage designer had told me we wouldn't be able to use something like that on our site. ( rights? or some reason, so long ago I don't remember ).  But a chart would work just as nicely. 

Will have to e-mail her and throw a chart by her.

Thanks so much!!!!

Diana Martin
Martin's Cages, Inc.

and when i sent along the complete chart for the entire line of martins cages

am so impressed!  You are truly talented!!!

I'm going to forward this to Kym, our webpage designer, and see if she can use it. 

Really, really neat!!

Thank you VERY much! 

Diana Martin

Offline weloveratties

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We're all here trying to earn our wings...;)
    • Weloveratties
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 08:18:28 PM »
I spent time a few nights ago searching for the cage calculator. This is awesome! It is great to be able to see exactly how big these cages are. I don't think the site intends to be misleadin, but with no comparisons, it is hard to see how samll some of those cages are. Hmmm. I think I'll take one of these, that, and those. LOL Great job on the posts!
L'amour est eternel-El amor es eterno-Love is eternal
Life doesn't end here, and yes, your pets will greet you in Heaven!!)

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 09:37:30 PM »
the 690 is great for 3 rats or four small/petite rats. if you plan on having a lot of toys in their cage,  then i would go with a max of three rats.

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • I used my wings, and mommy cried.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 10:48:06 PM »
the 690 is great for 3 rats or four small/petite rats. if you plan on having a lot of toys in their cage,† then i would go with a max of three rats.

*covers ears*  :shocked2:

I'm watching a 690 on Ebay right now, desperately hoping to buy it for Darren- possibly so we can adopt a girlfriend.  :hyper: Cross your fingers for us!!  :worry:
~Kalena

Offline Rache2004

• Posts Too Much!
  • **Qualified** but Rattless Ratty Mom
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 04:03:59 AM »
there is only one problem about getting Martin's cages is that they are based in USA  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

I am in UK  :confused:
¬

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 11:55:43 PM »
there is only one problem about getting Martin's cages is that they are based in USA† :BlueDumboBigEyes:

I am in UK† :confused:

Marchioro is a good cage brand, and if I'm not mistaken, it's available in the UK.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline IndieRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Hail Rattus!
    • Hail Rattus!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 01:52:43 AM »
Marchioro is available in the UK, but watch the wire spacing ;)

Teranziani (sp?) is also available overseas, and I've heard nothing but wonderful things about their cages :)

That chart is really helpful, ARG :)  I have four 685's, two 695's and three 699's (one is empty) and a slightly smaller than 685 Martins cage I designed to be easy for Lennon to navigate (don't know if that one would be useful at all LOL)...it may be a while before I get around to take pics, but would any of those be useful with rats in them?  I could also stack a 685 and a 695 next to a Ruud to show that comparison if you want.
~Jess' home for wayward beasts~
~current tenents~
14 rattie ladies
15 rattie gentlemen
2 girlie mice
Cleo the bearded dragon

~and 54 beautiful guardian spirits~

Offline NightPoet04

• Ritten
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2005, 08:38:14 AM »
I use the cage calculator at http://www.kristinewickstrom.homestead.com/files/PanelApplet.html to figure out which cages are best.  You just type in the dimensions in inches and it maps the cage and tells you how many rats will fit.  Great program!

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 05:01:22 PM »
Can I get some advice on what Martin's cage to buy?  I'm looking to spend about $50 (before shipping) and DEFINITELY want the black powder coated.

We currently have 2 girls in a 695, and are looking to adopt another couple ratties.  What we want is a smaller cage that we can put beside the first one, that would be good enough for rats to live in for a few weeks/months, while they're being introduced to the other rats.

The cage would also be used as a temporary cage for when the 695 has been lugged into the yard for cleaning.

So, it doesn't need to be large, just  big enough to be comfortable knowing that it's only temporary.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 04:47:46 PM »
Can I get some advice on what Martin's cage to buy?  I'm looking to spend about $50 (before shipping) and DEFINITELY want the black powder coated.

We currently have 2 girls in a 695, and are looking to adopt another couple ratties.  What we want is a smaller cage that we can put beside the first one, that would be good enough for rats to live in for a few weeks/months, while they're being introduced to the other rats.

The cage would also be used as a temporary cage for when the 695 has been lugged into the yard for cleaning.

So, it doesn't need to be large, just  big enough to be comfortable knowing that it's only temporary.

This is my suggestion.

Offline rattiekins

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 01:17:47 PM »
I'm looking for a nice cage, and I see the Martin's, but they don't look very wide... Are they wider than the image shows? I'm trying to get a clear picture.

Offline BijouRatz

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 10:54:25 AM »
I am new rat owner.  I went with the Rat Tower.  IT"S HUGE.  When you carry it you need someone to spot you so you don't trip HUGE.  Plenty of space. The rat LOVES IT.  She likes to race from the top to the bottom.  The bottom section fo the cage is primarily taken up with a ferret wheel and an igloo, and that whole middle floor is great for toys and hanging beds. It easily could accomidate 2 rats. I could have done with the Rat HighRise which I think is a bit smaller.  I have another new rat and my other rat doesn't get along with her, so Im looking for a new martins.  I'd go with something smaller then the tower, for my new one.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 10:59:44 AM »
I'm looking for a nice cage, and I see the Martin's, but they don't look very wide... Are they wider than the image shows? I'm trying to get a clear picture.

If you look at the cage dimensions, you'll see how large they are.

Offline Michelle

rat cage calculator
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 04:48:53 PM »
Does anyone know the URL to the rat cage calculator that measures the shelves too? I found it before, but I can't find it now. If you do, can you PM me and maybe post here for other people?
~ Michelle and the mischief clan

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 10:04:05 PM »
The cage calculator is in the Reference Desk.  :)

Offline Pit_Luvs

• Rats, a Girls Best Friend
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2005, 11:32:05 PM »
I dont know if this is any help, but i have the Martins 699 cages and here is a picture of two of them together, excuse the emptyness, i was in the middle of moving into a new home lol

On top, is a 100 gal Exoterra reptile cage, for something to compare to, or the spray bottle on the table lol