Author Topic: openings on the ferret size cages  (Read 2347 times)

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
openings on the ferret size cages
« on: February 20, 2005, 07:27:01 AM »
are the openings on the ferret cages the same size as the rat cages? I want to get one of the folding cages to carry in my motorhome, but don't want one the girls can escape from
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
Re: openings on the ferret size cages
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 09:14:18 AM »
Where are you getting your ferret cage from? The SuperPet ferret cages have 1" spaced bars, and the Martin's ferret cages are 1" square openings (young rats/very small females can get out of both). If you are buying from Martin's, though, you can request that they make you a ferret cage with the rat-sized wire (a half inch x one inch spacing) instead.
islandsugargliders.com

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:28:10 AM »
It depends on the cage.  I have two ferret cages for my rats, but not a folding type.  The spaces is something like 2X1.  The grownup rat's can't get out, but the babies that are a little over two months can still get themselves out.  The boys are on the verge of being too big to get out, and then girls still have a long way of going before they are too big.  So if you can, just find out the dimensions of the hole...but if your rats are fully grown I think they should be fine in any ferret cage.
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 10:53:31 AM »
sorry, i was thinking about the martin cages. I was wondering what size the holes were on their ferret folding cage.

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • why do rat noses fit so perfectly in your ears...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 09:03:46 AM »
i got a folding cage from martins. probably exactly the one you are looking at. the openings for the original cage is 1"x1" but you can request that it be made with rat sized 1/2"x1" wire. they are very happy to oblige and it is perfect. i have already used it for transport.

in fact martins will make any cage in thier catalog with rat sized wire. all you have to do is ask.

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 09:38:43 AM »
thanks. i will contact them and ask.