Author Topic: Are they clumsy or adventurous?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline angelinasmom

Are they clumsy or adventurous?
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:42:18 AM »
Two days ago, Angelina fell off the coffee table.  I wasn't even in the room.  I heard this thump and looked into the living room and she was on the floor.  About 10 minutes later, Miss Lilly did the same thing!  They have never fallen off the table unless I am on the couch and they are trying desperately to get to the couch.    Well..... last night, the girls and I had just gotten home from church and we heard this big thud upstairs.  I thought (and sincerely hoped) it was just a rat going kerplunk and not a prowler.  I cautiously went upstairs and there was Angelina on the floor looking up at the cage trying to figure out how to get back up, I suppose. 

Now, I am concerned about leaving their cage doors open all the time.  They have a platform to play on with an igloo and everything and keeping the doors closed will really cut down on their play area.  The cage is just big enough for two rats (two cages put together) and I was with the the platform space to go with it until now.  Now I am concerned they might fall and get hurt.   Their cage is on a changing table and is about a 3 foot drop.  I checked Angelina out after the fall and she seemed fine.  I really need to order my martins cage!!!!!  But even then....they have never been confined to a closed cage door all day. 

Why the falling all of a sudden?  Do they just want to explore or could it be something else throwing their balance off?

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
Re: Are they clumsy or adventurous?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »
they are probably jumping, lol. You want to be REALLY carefull when a rattie falls, even though you don't see anything it could hurt them internally.

Try getting some hardware mesh and eclosing the entire top of the table so they can't jump off of it (plus they can climb on it!)
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline angelinasmom

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 09:21:24 PM »
hardware mesh?  What is that?

I watched Angelina pretty close to make sure she acted normal.  Actually, I stayed up a little later than normal to make sure.  I do that with my kids too.  I always hate it when they whack their head just before bedtime and I have to fight the urge to go wake them up.

Feithline

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 09:28:17 PM »
hardware mesh is also called hardware cloth. It's galvanized, and is very flexible. without gloves it also hurts to cut!!

I would actually suggest, if you have the funds, having Martin's make you something that would work with the dimensions of the table -- their metal would be strong and also powdercoated!! I haven't had Martin's do this for me, if you're wondering. In fact, I've never bought a cage from them, but so many people have good stories about how helpful they are, I'm sure they'd love you help you as well.

Offline RatGal

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 07:27:54 PM »
I have 2 rats that fall ALL the time! No matter where they are. I'm not sur if they are just too adventerous or clumsy either. It's like they pay no attention or they pay attention and just have bad luck. I used to let them free roam on a raised platform that their cage sits on. Now I'm too worried to let them do anything up high. I guess just like some ppl are accident prone some rats could be too  :-\

Offline yellowbeammaker

• love my ratboys!
    • Good Times, Noodle Salad
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 10:16:31 AM »
i'd be willing to bet that they are jumping, or at least getting off purposefully.  I've always wondered how people keep their rats on a table--most of mine have just been of the attitude, "What?  Why would I stay here when I can get down and explore MORE places??"  They don't care how high it is, either, they will try and get down.  I think once your rats have figured out that they *can* get off the table, there will be no keeping them on the table (without fencing it in) simply because rats are sooooo curious and exploratory.
My Boys: Marco, Berkeley, Finny, Loki, Orion, Tully & Quito
Ratangels: Zanz, Moshi, Frisco, Cobar, Turbo & Taj
Admiral Chubbs the Goldfish
Spot the African Dwarf Frog
2 human kids Zion & Clive

Offline SunWolf

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 10:12:58 PM »
I second the thought that they are trying to get down on purpose...I have no luck keeping mine on top of anything.  They climb up the couch and "ski" down, on the bed ??, NOT A CHANCE.  They get up on things I have looked at from every conceivable angle to "rat proof" access...they still find a way.   :BlueDumboSmile:
I'm not shy, I'm just studying my prey...

Offline Leialte

• SnugglePets
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 01:23:41 AM »
They get up on things I have looked at from every conceivable angle to "rat proof" access...they still find a way.   :BlueDumboSmile:

Which is why I now know that NOTHING can be ratproofed! LOL. Rat resistant, maybe, but NEVER rat proof.
- Leialte -

Rats: Zilly, Tenner, Keidas and Laraya