Author Topic: Rat proofing! Protecting carpets?  (Read 2793 times)

Feithline

Rat proofing! Protecting carpets?
« on: March 01, 2005, 12:52:55 AM »
I was playing with my girls on the bed, and Keidas slid down the side (accidentally, I could hear her nails scratching for purchase on the sheets!) and landed her furry butt on the floor. She was too surprised to run off, thankfully and I snatched her back up before she could scram, but it decided me then and there to rat proof my room. So I've moved my furniture around to best suit the situation and hide as many wires and make as much inaccessible as I could that I want to keep safe... I don't really have any concerns other than protecting my carpet. My mom rents this house, and I've already gotten in trouble for doing some of my art projects on unprotected carpet, so I KNOW without a doubt my girls are not allowed to play on it. But what do I cover it with? Any ideas?

I've thought of using chairmats you can get at office supply stores, but I'd have to get several and they'd overlap and with those teeth things it wouldn't be much fun -- I'd have to modify them a lot. My mom suggested a tablecloth -- those kind that are plastic on top and fuzzy on the bottom to protect the table -- and use it plastic-side down. This is more feasible but I'd still have to cut them for certain areas, and also how do I keep my girls from pulling them up like sheets? Carpet runners have also been suggested, but I know little to nothing about them... don't they only come in narrow dimensions, since they're used for stairs and hallways?

Any help and suggestions are welcome!

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Rat proofing! Protecting carpets?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 10:28:11 PM »
Instead of using your whole room I would suggest making an enclosed play area that you can put up and take down in a section of your room.  That way you only have to worry about covering the carpet in that little section.

Feithline

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 12:29:59 AM »
well, I decided for myself what to do and went ahead and finished it before I saw your post Tamara. But I still would have done what I did, even though your advice is sound. I've never liked the idea of an 'enclosed' play area -- if my girls are going to be out of their cage, I'd like them to be out of a cage! I would also like them to be with me. I enjoy that tremendously.

So if you (and anyone else) are curious about what I did, I chose to listen to my mom (for once) and I bought four vinyl flannel back 52in. x 70in. oblong tablecloths. I used every inch! I have them taped down so the girls don't pull them up. I figure the tape is okay (with supervision) since they don't mess with the tape on their boxes. We'll find out when the girls get their first trip out. I need to put up cardboard blockades first.

Bonuses to this method that I've found already are: the flannel side almost adheres to the carpet, so there isn't much shifting. It will be easier to clean, instead of shampooing or vacuuming. I'll be more tempted to keep my room clean ( ^^ ) when I know the girls will be on the floor for a time each day. And I can also do more of my art projects in here without worrying about staining the carpet.

The only negative so far is it's a bit noisy to walk on (vinyl, so, of course), and it doesn't look very pretty. But since all my furniture pieces are hand-me-down-beat-me-ups, I think it improves things! lol. Another reason why I'm choosing to ratproof my room -- I don't care about the furniture getting a bit rat-worn.   ;D

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 06:46:12 AM »
Yay! My girls used to only get playtime in the washroom or on my bed...Rat proofing my room was the best thing ever ^_^ You've seen pictures of what it looks like now, right? Heh. It's so rewarding though - I love being able to sit and do homework or something, and have a furry little rat crawl into my lap.

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 02:02:27 PM »
glad you found a solution.  Actually the enclosure that I make is more like blocking off certain areas of the room.  I wheel my huge cage right into the enclosure and sit in it with them (with plenty of room left over) and we play together.  I have even layed down and fallen asleep a couple of times accidentally!  That makes me really nervous actually because I am scared that I will roll on them or something!  Don't understand how people can sleep with them without being paranoid.

Offline Leialte

• SnugglePets
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 06:19:32 PM »
(this is Feithline, btw... new account)

ooooh, okay. I misunderstood you then ^^. I was thinking Martin's playpen type enclosed.

I haven't gotten very far yet in my cardboard blockades... I've blocked off underneath the bed and that's about it so far. I've got homework to do first. ^^
- Leialte -

Rats: Zilly, Tenner, Keidas and Laraya

Offline critterkeeper

• I could NOT be any cuter! Well, maybe..........
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 05:41:33 PM »
I am thinking about that, too. I probably would put a large sheet of vinyl with a large Martins Playpen on top of it. Now that I've read this
Yay! My girls used to only get playtime in the washroom or on my bed...Rat proofing my room was the best thing ever ^_^ You've seen pictures of what it looks like now, right? Heh. It's so rewarding though - I love being able to sit and do homework or something, and have a furry little rat crawl into my lap.
I think I'm going to change my mind. They actually have this thing called carpet protector, so if you're interested, you could use that. I am too lazy to block of the bed, lol. I actually looked under there and ***surprise, surprise**** found thousands of poops. I can't find anything to tape the cardboard to, though. I was thinking of putting on the old playpen which they were able to jump over before, as kind of a "cage" you could say. I'm just too lazy ;D . Maybe I'll have someone else do it for me!
-Cheryl
The proud trainee of 22 Rats:
Loki~Nemo~Snoopy~Paris~Dipsy~Kiwi~Mac~Otis~Coconut~
Billy~Mr. Maple~Twinkie~Montegue~Callie~and 8 new Jelly Beans!!!
3 Guinea Pigs:
Winnie~Mitzi~Hershey
1 Cat
~Sami~

Offline weloveratties

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We're all here trying to earn our wings...;)
    • Weloveratties
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 07:28:47 PM »
I got a paper in the mail for Sears Hardware today. On the front was this interlocking (rubber/foam?) stuff that you put down to protect flooring. I'm not sure what it's called, and I threw the paper away, but you could probably call a home improvement store and get some.
L'amour est eternel-El amor es eterno-Love is eternal
Life doesn't end here, and yes, your pets will greet you in Heaven!!)

Offline Leialte

• SnugglePets
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 10:34:13 PM »
I got a paper in the mail for Sears Hardware today. On the front was this interlocking (rubber/foam?) stuff that you put down to protect flooring. I'm not sure what it's called, and I threw the paper away, but you could probably call a home improvement store and get some.

I did see that on Office Depot and ebay, but they're rather expensive! I'd have to save up for those.

And for a final update -- I'm DONE! Everything is blockaded and protected, and the girls are exploring it right now! All is hunkey-dorey... they haven't gotten into any more mischief than I expect of them ^^.
- Leialte -

Rats: Zilly, Tenner, Keidas and Laraya

Offline jen50schick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Still a dirty punk at heart!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 12:05:31 PM »
I went a bit crazy and just ripped up my carpet and laid Pergo down.  Just something you may want to think about for the future.
For Daniel, Butterball, and Jack.....somewhere over the rainbow! 

Owned by Colby, Frank, Dean, Sammy, and Fink!

There's no excuse for animal abuse!