Author Topic: Cages in Ontario???  (Read 3071 times)

Offline ratlady017

• Maid to 3 doll babies
Cages in Ontario???
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:16:14 AM »
Hi,
 I'm looking for somewhere on the internet that sells cages like Martins in Canada.
I want to buy a martins cage, but the shipping is 50$  :'(.... Any ideas??
Jodie
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 10:22:02 AM by ratlady017 »

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Cages in Ontario???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 11:12:51 AM »
Another Ontarian! YAY!

*cough*

Yes...cages. I had a tough time at first too. I started out with one of those superpet cages that fits '2.333333333' rats....I really hated it, since it was actually quite a bit too small for 2 rats, IMO. I couldn't find any decent, reasonably priced cages and was just about set on making my own. But, my sister was working at the vet's at the time and said that she could get me a list of the cages the vet office could order. Plus, thanks to my sis, I got them at cost...Meaning, I got a normally $140 cage for $65. A rare stroke of luck.

Basically, try asking around at vets. See if they have a supplier, and if they'd be willing to order for you. Also, try checking classifieds and such.

If you're still without hope, here are some pages with lots of plans for building your own cage:

http://rodenthabit.250free.com/rats/housing/homecage.html

The last link there is to the rat cage calculator, which is a basic guidline to how many rats can live in a cage (you input the dimensions, of course)

Just remember that it's best to get the absolute biggest cage you can afford. Even if you're lugging a 6-rat cage around for two little females (spoiled brats...) your babies will be grateful for it.

Good luck!

Offline ratlady017

• Maid to 3 doll babies
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 02:08:41 PM »
Thank you. Yeah I got my cage at Pet Value and it is actually meant for a rabbit.  :( So I want a better one thats not gonna cost me millions to ship.
I will call the vet.
Jods

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 02:21:58 PM »
Yeah I got my cage at Pet Value and it is actually meant for a rabbit.  :( So I want a better one thats not gonna cost me millions to ship.
I will call the vet.
Jods

Eep. I really hate most cages sold in pet stores and such..They tend to be overpriced, and waaay too small for the animal they're advertised for. From the picture I saw of your cage, it looks way too small for a rabbit. People will go to great lengths for money.

Good luck with your vet. I was lucky, and we're personally close with my vet...So even if my sister hadn't been working there, I would have got help from him. Maybe your vet can help you out too.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 07:21:20 PM »
Maybe you guys use the same vet? Or she can get this vets name and number?   Since she's fairly new with rats, she may NEED a vet?  :)  *trying to hook up a source!*

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 08:09:16 PM »
Maybe you guys use the same vet? Or she can get this vets name and number?   Since she's fairly new with rats, she may NEED a vet?  :)  *trying to hook up a source!*

Oh sheesh...I knew I shouldn't be trying to give advice with a fever and lack of sleep :P

I'm not sure how far you are from my exotics vet (it's a 30 minute drive for me, on a good day and long before/after rush hour) but even if it was 2 hours they'd be full worth it. Here's the information:

Animal Hospital of High Park
3194 Dundas St. West, Toronto, Ontario M6P 2A3
Phone #: 416-763-4200

They also do emergencies! They have a few emergency locations, and they're listed with phone numbers so you can call the one closest to you. You can find those here: http://animalhospitalhighpark.com/325631.html

My girls' vet is Dr. Thompson, and she's really amazing. Very thorough, willing to listen, supportive, etc etc. I've also heard good things about Dr. Regan, and basically all their vets are qualified to treat rats. They even have one vet who specializes in alternative medicine - that is, herbal remedies, acupuncture, etc.

NOTE: This is just for my exotics vet, NOT the vet who ordered me the cage. Though, they may be able to help you out as well...And they do have advertisements from people selling off cages up in the main office.

If you decide to go there, perhaps you can put down that I referred you. Feel free to PM me in that case :cheeky:

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 10:26:56 PM »
Ontario here too, but further north. No cages here either. I bought mine from Martin's, no matter what the shipping costs and exchange rates, it was so worth it for me.  ;)
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 06:47:38 AM »
Ontario here too, but further north. No cages here either. I bought mine from Martin's, no matter what the shipping costs and exchange rates, it was so worth it for me.  ;)

Just curious, how much did you end up paying?

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 08:18:30 AM »
I paid approx. $220CAD for the R695 but for the wonderful F475, I paid a whopping $380CAD. :shocked2:
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Offline ratlady017

• Maid to 3 doll babies
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2005, 04:46:12 PM »
Hey,
I just ordered the R695 the total came to 150$ but I know it will be more cuz it didn't switch to CDN how did you find out the uped the price? Did they email you?
Jodie

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2005, 09:09:04 PM »
The prices I quoted was from over a year ago.
Joanne
The Rat Shack