Author Topic: Stoopid question about finishes  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Auskan

• Aussie living in Kansas!
Stoopid question about finishes
« on: March 02, 2005, 02:11:07 PM »
I've heard the terms galvanized wire, powder coated & PVC but confess I don't really know what all these are.  I'm guessing the galvanized is just straight wire with no coating?  Does it rust?  Which is "best" (and in asking that, I know there are probably lots of different opinions :) )
Ebony, Reject, Hadrian, Galeno (Linda & Carmen - RIP - you are missed).

Offline sarahspins

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Stoopid question about finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 02:17:12 PM »
Galvanized - bare metal, usually corrodes (rust and oxidation) which causes it to retain odors and become difficult to clean.  No amount of cleanliness helps this, it is simply a product of time, and is ultimately unavailable.  A risk with galvanized wire is zinc poisoning, but I've never actually heard of it happening.

PVC Coated - this is a plastic coating, some are stronger/thicker than others, but all can be chewed off by determined rats.

Powdercoat - this is a baked-on finish, more durable than PVC, but it can be chipped and damaged by normal use and wear, and also by determined rats.  Some powdercoat finishes are better than others - normally stuff that has been "double coated" (most cages aren't) lasts longer.

Powdercoat is normally what is recommended with rats, but a few people prefer PVC.

Offline Auskan

• Aussie living in Kansas!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 02:19:31 PM »
Thank you - that was a very thorough explanation.
Ebony, Reject, Hadrian, Galeno (Linda & Carmen - RIP - you are missed).

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 02:37:33 PM »
Just to clarify.... Galvanized is not really just bare metal.  It looks like bare metal (it's shiny and silver looking with sort of a pattern in the 'finish').

Galvanizing is a zinc coating on steel in this case.  They dip the metal into a zinc bath and it coats the base metal.  It, in theory provides a protective coating that shouldn't rust, etc.  But, we have learned that urine is stronger than galvanizing....  ;D

Offline sarahspins

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 08:04:49 PM »
Yeah yeah, but zinc is still a metal.. it's not "coated" with something other than metal ;)