Author Topic: Petco & Petsmart Ferret Cages  (Read 12795 times)

Offline Auskan

• Aussie living in Kansas!
Petco & Petsmart Ferret Cages
« on: March 02, 2005, 02:37:50 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the ferret cages sold at Petco & Petsmart?  I think the company that makes them is called "SuperPet".  I'm just wondering how they compare to the Martins Cages?http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=4512560319&dept_id=%2D2
Ebony, Reject, Hadrian, Galeno (Linda & Carmen - RIP - you are missed).

Offline spinout_x

• Seth & Brody.
    • My GreatestJournal
Re: Petco & Petsmart Ferret Cages
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2005, 03:36:48 PM »
I own that one and I really like it.
Sincerely,
             Michelle.
Elvis Fan & Mommy to:
Seth & Brody & Travis & Dooney & Bourke

The Real Deal Rat Rescue
~Since 2005~

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 03:46:33 PM »
There was a thread here a while back about that but I cant find it.  But if you end up purchasing a superpet cage, do so through the Pet Store link at the top of the page - it benefits the forum!
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 06:32:32 PM »
I think people either LOVE or HATE those Superpet cages.  If you're going to wipe down the solid surfaces EVERY day, so urine doesn't build up and cause bumblefoot, then go with whatever you prefer looks wise.  Personally, I prefer Martins, hands down.

Offline Bratratbeds

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • The furry children own my pocketbook...
    • Brat Rat Beds
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 06:44:39 PM »
I went back and forth on these two cages all summer while waiting for Martin's to get their sock in and finally decided to get a Martin's because for the same amount of money ($120) I was able to get a 695 which was larger than the ferret cage Petsmart carried for the same price. 
     The Petsmart cage was longer but narrower and not as tall; the spacing was wider also (and we were getting a new baby rattie later in the year and I didn't want to have to have two cages set up with the limited room we have here)  and to me didn't seem as sturdy but it all comes down to personal preference. 
     The other reason I went with the Martin's was that my wodent wheel fit in the Martin's better.  If I could change one thing about the Martin's I would have taken the middle floor off (the cage comes partially assembled) and turned it around so that the opening for the ramp going down was on the back under the ramp coming from the top level and have a solid floor right in front of the door...which is what I will be doing when we break it down when we move to KY this summer.  Our girls get all excited and someone usually ends up falling through the hole...funny though it is especially when they have a mouth full of goodies. :cheeky:
"Success is not an entitlement, it must be earned"  Howard Shultz, Chairman Starbucks
"Affordable beds for your furry children."
www.bratratbeds.com
"Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are somebody's going to get hurt." Alton Brown

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
  • How could you NOT love those furry little faces?
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 10:42:59 PM »
I also have this cage, as well as a smaller, 32 x 20 x 30, SuperPet cage, and I really like them. There are several issues that people commonly consider when choosing between these cages; I've done my best to sum them up as follows:

1) Price - I've seen several folks say that Martin's is cheaper, but if you compare them inch for inch, the SuperPet Multi-Level costs less (especially at $110!) and has more floor space (32 x 20 x 4 floors = 2,560 sq inches) than the Martin's largest rat cage, the RUUD (at $170 with 30 x 18 x 3 floors & 4 balconies = a little more than 2,160 sq inches).

2) Wire floor vs. solid floor - The "which is better" debate is a hot, hot topic, however, whichever flooring you choose, you will obviously have to keep it clean and comfortable. If you choose wire, you have several different options for covering it for your ratties comfort, from vinyl to fabric - whatever you cover it with will have to be cleaned and/or replaced as often as needed; if you choose solid flooring, it will also have to be kept clean and/or you can also cover it with fabric and replace as needed. In my case, I take a few minutes to do potty patrols and wipe up wet spots each night, and don't feel the need to cover the floors with anything.

3) Cleaning - Never having owned a Martin's, I can't speak to the effort of cleaning one, however, there are several threads that reference that subject if you want to take a look. Personally, I wouldn't want to lug such a large cage around every week, nor try to scrub waste and debris off wire floors and ramps through a door that may or may not allow easy access. The SuperPet panels pop off fairly easily, and it's a snap to dump them in the sink or the tub for soaking and scrubbing.

4) Customization - Martin's is reportedly very amenable to working with customers to get their desired cage modifications (I have seen several posts to this effect), for a charge (I don't have the impression it's a very high fee), including a flip-top lid modification for $10. SuperPet cages, by their very design of course, are customizable - you can change them as many times as you like and you can order additional panels, ramps, etc. (in fact, my cage actually has five full floors, since I added the panels from my other cage) and the Multi-Level comes with a flip-top lid.

5) Wire spacing - Again, Martin's is happy to modify their ferret cages by using the smaller "rattie-sized" wire spacing. The SuperPet wire spacing on the ferret cages is one inch - and ratties under 300 grams or so can fit through this space. There are different methods of handling this issue - I've heard of some folks using hardware cloth around the cage - but I just waited until my ratties got big enough (about four months for my smallest girl).

6) Durability - My understanding is that Martin's cages are made of heavier, more sturdy frames and wiring than the SuperPet cages, but I like my Multi-Level just fine - and I LOVE the fact that it's on wheels! I haven't had to scrub down the cage itself yet (just the panels), but when I do, I'll just wheel it where-ever I need it, then wheel it back when I'm done.

I can't think of anything else - I sure hope this helps someone, whew, my fingers are tired!   :hyper:
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline ElvinMelvin

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 10:56:41 PM »
I bought one of these for my girls and I love it, Except for two things.  The ladders are horrible, They don't attach right so I have them tied on with twist ties.  My wodent wheel only fits on the bottom and doesn't fit through the doors......if I want it out I have to take the shelves off first.
Despite that I really love them, I even bought another one for my boys.

The wire spacing is an issue for my girls.  I waited until ducky was 5 months to buy the cage, but she can still fit through.  I just bought hardware cloth from home Depot and covered the cage.  My boys (youngest is 2.5 months) can't fit through at all.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 11:46:13 PM »
I bought one of these for my girls and I love it, Except for two things.  The ladders are horrible, They don't attach right so I have them tied on with twist ties...........

That's strange, mine snap on with no problem (I have three 12" ramps from the Care Home and two very long ramps from the Multi-Level).

Hmmm, I just remembered, both cages came with a notice or something referencing "new and improved ramps." I bought one in December and the other last month (wish I'd known about your PetsMart link, Goosemoose, I'd have been happy to use it!). SuperPet's website is www.superpetusa.com - maybe you can get the new ramps from there?

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline brandy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2005, 11:55:34 PM »
I have a small $30 one that I use as a quarantine cage and for when I bring a couple rats to my fiance's house for a weekend.  It's fine, but I think that for bigger sizes Martins has better prices.  I think there's nothing wrong with SuperPet cages, but do your research and get the best and biggest cage you can for the money, whichever brand it winds up being.
Brandy 1, cancer 0

Zero rats currently.
RIP: Snickers, Twizzler, Nestle, Valrhona, Cadbury, Elizabeth, Victoria, Artemis, Cassie, Lucy, and Chica.

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2005, 02:37:53 AM »
sorry I skimmed, I'm about to go to bed.

smaller ratties tend to get out between the spacing! Another reason I like martins....

night all :) lol
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2005, 07:30:06 AM »
Something else I forgot to mention - PetsMart has a much better reputation for caring for their animals than does Petco, and most folks (including me) don't support or shop at Petco. You can, however, still get that awesome price, because Petsmart will match prices. I did this when I bought my Multi-Level, although I didn't catch as good a sale. Just call the customer service number listed on the website and order the cage over the phone.

Also, Petsmart doesn't charge for shipping for items over a certain amount, so you'll save even more (if you choose to go the SuperPet route).

Good luck in your cage hunt!

Offline Auskan

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2005, 09:24:59 AM »
Thanks all, for taking the time to reply - especially AuntieCrazy (I hope your fingers have recovered?)  I stopped by Petsmart last night hoping to see one in person but the only one they had was in a box so it wasn't any easier to see than the picture online.  They did, however have an "All Living Things" cage that I spent quite awhile looking at.  It is made of powder-coated hardware mesh, was 5' high and had three levels (one solid) plus the base level.  I liked that each level had its own door.  The only thing I wasn't sure of was cleaning.  It sits in a metal tray but the tray doesn't slide out.  There was a price tag on that said "15% off the regular price of $69.99" so I grabbed it and headed for the checkout.  However when I got there it rang up for $149.95 and when I questioned that, it turned out the price tag was on the wrong item.  I hadn't gone to the store prepared to spend that sum so I reluctantly declined to buy it at that price, as by that time I was pretty excited about it.  My problem is, I don't really NEED a new cage - I just want one, ya know?

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 11:15:43 AM »
i loooove my superpets cages!  i got one of the smaller ones on sale through petsmart, loved it so much i went back and bought another for my boys!  honestly, though, the only reason i chose that one instead of a martins was the shipping cost...   that and i realllly got a great deal on mine!  but as for the all living things cages....  i was like you...  i'd never actually seen a decent sized cage in person before... so when i went to petsmart, i saw what i *thought* was a great cage at a great price and snatched it up without too much thought....  i hate it!  i coulda got one twice as big for the same amount of money at martins, the doors are very small so it's hard to get accessories where you want them, the paint (which at the time i thought was powder coating) is already starting to chip off, it's a pain to clean.... the list goes on and on and on!  once i get all my kids into good cages i'm just gonna stick it into a closest until i need a quarintine cage.

eta:  i have three rats in each of my superpets.  the cage calculator says it can fit up to five, but i personaly wouldn't go that high!  also, here's the thread i posted when i got my first cage in, with pictures!  http://www.goosemoose.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=70&?topic=33242.0
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:22:48 AM by dragynflye »

Offline Auskan

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 11:20:54 AM »
Oh, thanks for the feedback on the all living things cage dragynflye.  Now that you mention it, what I thought was powder coating was chipped off in a couple of places (like where the doorlatch hooks) so it must be because its not really powder coated.  Glad to hear you like the superpet cages though.  I'm going to go over to Petco tonight and see if I can see one of those set up since at Petsmart it was in a box.  Petco is also having a sale right now for $109 so I might see if Petsmart with price-match.

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 12:35:37 PM »

Was this the All Living Things cage you saw at PetSmart?  That's where I got it, years ago.  :)
Ratless

Offline Auskan

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 02:20:44 PM »
That's the one!  Thanks for posting the pic.  I like the way you have the shelves underneath too.  Hmmm...another idea I can "borrow" LOL.

Offline merlin7676

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2005, 03:47:29 PM »
I have had martin's in the past and currently have a superpet and I like it much better...I'm more happy with my boys being on solid floors...yes they can have some pee spots that need wiped up but I put old towels, clothes, ect in and swap them out every 2-3 days so I don't really have a problem with free standing pee..and as mentioned before it's really easy to pop out the shelves and clean them in the tub as opposed to lugging a whole cage in the tub...also with a solid floor you don't get pee and poop hanging down all dried and crusty and that's difficult to clean. The wire spacing is larger and smaller babies can get out but I keep mine on an chest so even when they could get out, there was nowhere to go and they would just go back in.

merlin

Offline dragynflye

• Posts Too Much!
  • greetings from nikki and the horde!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2005, 04:35:29 PM »
The wire spacing is larger and smaller babies can get out but I keep mine on an chest so even when they could get out, there was nowhere to go and they would just go back in.

merlin

hmmmm that's a good idea!  and would look much better than the wire covering i now have on my girls cage!

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 05:01:12 PM »
With Petsmart, print off the website's page for whatever you're buying.  It's usually ALWAYS less than what it is in the store, and they will lower the price at the store to whatever it is online.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 01:32:58 AM »
That is a good idea, but some ratties decide to be "bad" and jump (little buggers. lol) So I wouldn't chance it.

I have heard VERY bad things about "all living things" cages.

Auskan, I woulda FOUGHT to get that price. It's NOT your fault they mislabled it, remember, the customer is always right, and word of mouth can make you or break you in a community (even if it is a chain store) if they don't get enough business it will shut down.
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 02:36:59 PM »
I have heard VERY bad things about "all living things" cages.

Really?  I like mine pretty well.  What did you hear?
Ratless

Offline Auskan

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 06:19:17 PM »
Well, just an update.  I went by Petsmart last night and checked on the price of the SuperPet cage and it was $270!!!!  This is the exact same cage that Petco has on their website for $109.  I asked if they would price match, since it would save me a few days in shipping to be able to take it home right then and there, but they said no, they will only price match if I print off the webpage from their own website - not anyone else's.  So I guess if I decide to get this, I'll have to order it from PetCo.  But I did find an online coupon for them is for 15% off, so that covers the shipping and a little of the tax.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 07:09:28 PM »
Actually, Auskan, you can order the cage from Petsmart, 888-839-9638, and get both the Petco price and free shipping. I know, I've done it. And I doubt I'll ever buy a cage in a local store again, because the larger companies nearly always offer lower prices on their products when the items are purchased through the web or over the phone.

In fact, after I saw what an awesome deal Petco had, I called Petsmart back and asked them if they could possible match the Petco price of $110 on the cage I bought three weeks ago (for $150), and they gave me half the discount! :shocked2: Amazing. As you can imagine, I'm pretty happy. 8)

If you want that cage, call Petsmart and give it a try - what do you have to lose?  ;)

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2005, 12:13:24 PM »
I used to have all my rats in Superpet cages. I absolutely love those cages but the reason I switched all my cages to Martins, my aging rats could climb the superpet ramps anymore. The superpet ramps are steep with nothing really to get a grip on.
Here are pics of my superpet cages a year or so ago:

Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »
I actually have that All Living Things cage.. thanks for posting about it! The sticker had worn away years ago and I couldn't figure out what company produced it. Now I know ;). I use it two of my other critters here and it's been in use since 2000. All the paint has worn away but it is still a really good cage .. just not for rats!

-Melina
-Melina & Crew