Author Topic: Is it ok to have two male rats in the same cage?  (Read 6468 times)

Offline Zuki

• Ritten
    • Saiyuki's raves
Is it ok to have two male rats in the same cage?
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:25:48 AM »
I am really new at the whole owning a rat. I just got Charlie about two months ago and I was wondering if maybe I should get him a friend so he's not lonely. But I don't know much about having multiple rats. What I mean is , is it OK to keep two male rats together or are they just going to fight? Will having a big cage and plenty of food and water keep them from fighting? Let me know though, so I can start thinking about the second rat. :heart: :BlueDumboSmile: :hyper:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cats: Peewee (R.I.P Sammy)
Hamsters: Jakey (R.I.P Jasper)
Ratties: Charlie and Travis

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
Re: Is it ok to have two male rats in the same cage?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 09:28:53 AM »
It is very possible to have more than one male rat in a cage.  It's easiest to get them the same age, the same time, and not worry about introductions.  Next best is to get a baby to introduce to an older male rat.  The one introduction most likely to cause problems is adult male to adult male. 

You need to follow proper quarantine procedures (if you're in the US or Canada) and don't rush introductions - just plopping them into a cage together is asking for trouble.  Do a search on the forum or look in the Reference Desk for quarantine and introductions.
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 09:41:02 AM »
I have two cages with three boys each in them :)
The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 11:03:06 AM »
I to have a cage with 3 boys in it (now 3 months old!! Yesterday was their b-day!  :balloon:  :party: :balloon: ) .

anyways, it is ALWAYS preferable to keep rats in same sex groups! NEVER listen to the pet store person. They are eveil ;) lol
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 12:06:57 PM »

There are six males asleep together in that pic.  :)  I've found that they enjoy company just as much as females do.  Just check the cage measurements to make sure the cage is large enough and, like kmw said, work your intro's slowly. 

http://www.goosemoose.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=70&?topic=5.0
Ratless

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 12:18:49 PM »
I have 6 males in a cage together, and with the exception of a couple "arguments" they get along great.  I am currently working on introducing two more males into the cage (the newbies are approx 2 months old).  So yes, get more ratties!!!!  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline weloveratties

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • We're all here trying to earn our wings...;)
    • Weloveratties
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 03:39:36 PM »
I have two boy ratties that peacefully coexist in the same cage. They are brothers, and they are very happy together. They do occasionally have their spats when they box or stand and look at each other. LOL Hamster boys, I think, are the ones that don't get along.
L'amour est eternel-El amor es eterno-Love is eternal
Life doesn't end here, and yes, your pets will greet you in Heaven!!)

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 01:36:29 AM »
thats syrian hamsters (each syrian hamster HAS to be kepth alone, no matter the sex) and most male mice (unless raised together)
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline jen50schick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Still a dirty punk at heart!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 10:18:09 AM »
I had a cage of 5 together (4 now as of last Saturday), but I highly recommend getting your rattie a friend.  I have had much success integrating ratties together, however I highly recommend getting a baby to integrate with your rat.  It is much easier in my experience to integrate a baby.  It may still take a little while depending on Charlie, but it can make him a much happier rattie.
For Daniel, Butterball, and Jack.....somewhere over the rainbow! 

Owned by Colby, Frank, Dean, Sammy, and Fink!

There's no excuse for animal abuse!

Offline Zuki

• Ritten
    • Saiyuki's raves
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 12:56:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Yesterday I went and bought another rat. A male. His name is Travis and he is SO Cute! :heart:
He's all white with red eyes , and they only colouring on him is a strip on his back thats a light caramel colour. Charlie seems to be interested in Travis... though I wont put them together for a while. Thanks a lot everyone.
 :hyper: :heart: :rattysmiley: :-*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cats: Peewee (R.I.P Sammy)
Hamsters: Jakey (R.I.P Jasper)
Ratties: Charlie and Travis

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:07:56 PM »
Uh oh, since you bought the rat yesterday and said Charlie seem interested, it sounds like quarantine wasn't done.  I know the first poster mentioned that you should look it up, do you need some more info on it, for the future?
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 03:27:16 PM »
Uh oh, since you bought the rat yesterday and said Charlie seem interested, it sounds like quarantine wasn't done.  I know the first poster mentioned that you should look it up, do you need some more info on it, for the future?

Eep...Yeah, too late for quarrantine now...Did you look up anything at all on introducing new rats? Also, why did you mention that you weren't going to into just yet? Try this for introductions:

http://www.ratfanclub.org/newrat.html

Good luck...And do feel free to ask questions!

And, hey, you live in Ontario too! We're groooooooooooooowing...

*cough*

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 03:01:40 PM »
yep.. I have 10 boys in one of my cages, lol...

Offline brandy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 09:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Yesterday I went and bought another rat. A male. His name is Travis and he is SO Cute! :heart:
He's all white with red eyes , and they only colouring on him is a strip on his back thats a light caramel colour. Charlie seems to be interested in Travis... though I wont put them together for a while. Thanks a lot everyone.
 :hyper: :heart: :rattysmiley: :-*

"Quarantine" means that they need to be kept in completely different airspaces (different houses if possible) for at least 3 weeks. This is needed b/c there are no vaccines for the most common rat viruses, unlike cats and dogs.  If they've been breathing the same air, you might as well introduce them now and hope the new rat isn't sick.  I'm sure they'll get along great! Just be sure to introduce them several times on neutral ground first (a bed, couch, bathtub, etc), and clean out the cage when you decide to put them in together, to avoid territorial issues.
Zero rats currently.
RIP: Snickers, Twizzler, Nestle, Valrhona, Cadbury, Elizabeth, Victoria, Artemis, Cassie, Lucy, and Chica.

Offline Corrina

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat and reptile lover
    • my webpage
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 11:21:14 PM »
When I got my first rat, Sammy, I was told that boys shoudn't be together cause they fight. What a joke. Although my boy Taz needs to live alone because of his aggression towards other rats, I've never had a problem. I have 9 boy rats in a huge martins cage. They are more peaceful than my girls, lol.

My love to all who have passed, and all that I currently care for.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 04:29:08 AM »
My male rats all get along great!  I've had them all for awhile, quaranteen was done and such, and now working on them getting to know eachother well!  They get play time all together (yes, my queen size bed is a blast with 11 male rats on it!  And hopefully by the end of the week I will have their BIG cage and get it set up so they can all live together.  They range from 2 months, to 20 months.