Author Topic: are rats loud at night?  (Read 13482 times)

Offline rat_lover25

are rats loud at night?
« on: April 03, 2005, 09:36:13 PM »
I haven't got 2 rats yet but I was wondering if they were loud at night since they will be RIGHT next to my bed since my room is pretty small.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:  do they throw parties at night?  :party: :party: :party: :bdaysmile: :bdaysmile: :party: :party: :party:
Soon to be.... Rattie mom

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
Re: are rats loud at night?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 09:43:54 PM »
oh yea! lol. I would move them a ways from your bed. They wrestle and play and chirp alot at night.
Run your little hearts out at the bridge, Oreo, Jet, and Licky!

Offline ratzrkool

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 09:53:25 PM »
They do tend to perk up at night but it never been anything I coudn't sleep through. Once in a while they will wake me up but then sometimes I wake up if it is too quite. "They aren't making noise, what's wrong?" It hasn't been a big deal fro me I've gotten used to it.
The ratz- Tippy, Spike, and Hazel  
~RIP Mr. C, Timothy, Fink, Dot, & Mo~~(   )8:>
The kats- Senior, Seven (the 24 toed wonder), Padfoot, Voltron and Finn
The dog- Yogi

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 11:28:46 PM »
I have to remove the wheel at night because they are so noisy on it, but they are in the next room and I hardly hear anything (other than that friggin' wheel!)
islandsugargliders.com

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:44:27 AM »
yes, they throw parties and invite all the "wild rats"......you'd swear there  was 100 rats in there!  :shocked2:

well it seems like it! (i only have 5 ratties), they chew on things I didn't even know would make a sound, and one of the girls has gotten to chewing on the cage bars here lately, so I am hoping to get ear plugs sometime, as well as seeing if I can add "entertainment" opprotunities to their cage. Which I'm hoping to get a bigger cage sometime!
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 03:14:26 AM »
Yup, rats are definitely nocturnal.  They can get pretty darn loud, but you get used to it.  I agree with Sunilata about the wheel, though.  If you get a wodent wheel and the rats live in the room where you sleep, be sure it is easy to pull out of the cage!
Ratless

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 08:29:45 AM »
My boys are 2 rooms away, and sometimes they still wake me up when they get a little rowdy!

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 11:24:07 AM »
lol... yes the ratties are loud. I've gotten used to it though and can sleep through it. Now if it's too quiet I have to wonder if they're ok. My rats are in my room near my bed as well.

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 12:56:40 PM »
It depends on the rats per say and on what''s in the cage. They are definately "noisy" at night but there are different levels of noisy.

I''m used to hearing them run up and down the ramps like maniacs carrying paper and food, running in wheels, chewing stuff, drinking. This I sleep right through.

However when scuffles happen and Mr. Loudmouth Watson starts "cursing" at the other rats it ususally wakes me up. And the little bugger sure is vocal. If another rat just so much as looks at him the wrong way he opens his yapper and YELLS! You''d think he''s getting skinned alive. Though I guess eventually I''ll get used to it.  ;)

Offline Rache2004

• Posts Too Much!
  • **Qualified** but Rattless Ratty Mom
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 07:45:09 AM »
Keep them away from your quilt LOL they may reach their little arms out to try and drag the quilt and you into their cage for snuggles  ;)
¬

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 11:11:01 AM »
lol.

yea, keep things you want away from their cage. I\\\'ve lost 2 nice blankets already.
Run your little hearts out at the bridge, Oreo, Jet, and Licky!

Offline Rosies_Mom

• Posts Too Much!
  • When life hands you lemons, make a margarita!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 06:55:50 PM »
Some times they even have orgies. That is what ratties do. They sleep during the day and play at night. I love going to sleep to them playing and running in the wheel. It tells me they are happy, healthy little girls.
Nurse Roxie with her Nurse Bonnet.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 09:56:26 AM »
I love my rats, and I don't really mind the normal little ratty noises they make, but OY sometimes they can keep me up!  I dunno what they are doing in there, but they have this way of slamming things around, their plastic litter pans and such do make a lot of noise when they hit the wire cage. 

So I guess it really depends on what sort of toys your rats have in the cage with them...
~Julie

Offline Rache2004

• Posts Too Much!
  • **Qualified** but Rattless Ratty Mom
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 08:47:38 AM »
Maybe they make the noises to make you turn your light on and let them out to play† :cheeky:

I reckon if they make loadsa noise and you make a habbit of turning your light on just to see what thye are doing they may realise that making lots of noise means lots of attention!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 08:50:33 AM by Rache2004 »
¬

Offline Rat-of-Thunder

• Rats are the best Pets you Can have :)
    • Pictures of Smokey D the Brat Rat
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 11:08:27 AM »
Noise you say noise??? Well yep they run, they bang, they squeak, they bounce, they thump, they tussle, they rearrange the furniture and do many other things to have fun that will either keep you awake or wake you.  Our rats all four of them love to be up at night of course being nocturnal and all.  We have a new baby that I dubbed twitch because of the way she moved her nose and whiskers as a new baby.  Well at night or even during the day she will run up and jump on one of the other rats and jump up and down on them kind of like she is saying "play with me play with me".  Well the other rats normally are not to thrilled having the baby jumping on their heads.  So you will hear this massive amount of squeaking going on and go to the cage to look. There is twitch on her back being held down by one paw of the other rat.  The other rat seems to say "you just lay there on your back until you calm down a bit young lady".  Twitch on the other hand seems to be saying "NO NO let me up, I want to play, your not being very nice. LET ME UP LET ME UP you big oaf".
So yes they make lots and LOTS of noise.  They also have a Senior Wodent wheel in a 695 cage which provides lots of room for the four of them.  My rat Smokey "D" the Bratrat or Thunder Butt loves to run in the wheel and considering that she ways over 500 grams she makes quiet an impression on the wheel to say the least.  The wheel would wake us up and drive us crazy nearly every night then the wife got the idea to zip tie it to the cage real tight at both the bottom and the top then she oiled all of the moving parts of the wheel with baby oil.  This worked real well and now the ratties no longer wake us.  To help you understand the proximity to the bed we have a king bed and the cage is two feet from the lower corner on my side.  What I can tell you is that after a while you become accustomed to noise and can actually sleep through it.  The volume of the noise really doesn't matter I have found that you can sleep through nearly anything. I am in the Army and was in an Artillery unit with the guns firing all night only 300 yards or so behind my tent.  It took a few days but after a bit I hardly noticed the guns firing.  The big problem is if the noise changes if it is the same you can get used to it.  Good luck but if after about two weeks if they are still waking you I think I would move them to another room.
In memory of a wonderful and loving rattie Smokey.  You will always be in my heart.

Offline berta

• AkiNimu mousie
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 12:15:41 PM »
Watter Bottles!!!
*ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka ... pause ... tictictictic*  :shocked2:

if you have the time to change their water twice a day, teach them to use a bowl - much quieter and they play in it.
Sometimes my brain feels like a bowl of jello in the microwave...

Offline RehabRalphy

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 12:42:56 PM »
My rat LOVES to play at night. Every night you can hear little jingling bells and running back and fwarth. Then the clicks from the water bottle comes in every 10 mins. HAHA! I got use to it so I sleep threw it all now. Wild little things

Offline zooat113

• when the going gets tough, take a nap!
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 02:25:29 PM »
I'm a (really) heavy sleeper and my boys banging food dishes around used to kind of startle me out of falling asleep but i don't know that they really woke me up much.  Now I got their new cage it makes very different noises and I worry a lot about the cats trying to climb the cage (so far so good, gotta love the spray bottle!) so I sleep a bit lighter and smaller noises wake me up.  Within a few weeks when I can trust the cats and I get used to the noises I doubt it will wake me up anymore.  I don't mind much being woken up by the rats, I just hate being woken up by my gf cus she always wants me to talk about something and that is not gonna happen at 2 in the morning, sorry!
Best of luck with your new babies (when you get them!)  I'm sure you'll be fine after a few days of getting used to their noises.
Cole
Happily Owned by:
Wickett the dwarf hamster
Tigg & Gir the tag-team kittens
Freud, Wundt and Pavlov the fuzzybutt rats
Thorndike & Watson the pink wrinklebutt rats

~RIP Pandora~ see you at the bridge you little brat <3

Offline Michelle_2343

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 02:15:54 AM »
Rats definitely throw parties at night!  In fact my boyfriend wrote a short story about a party one night (VERY silly story): 

Rat Night Club

One night, while lying in bed trying to fall asleep, I heard music down the hallway.  I got out of bed, walked toward the sounds of the tunes and entered my converted ratty room (this used to be my living room), and noticed that three of my largest male rats, Rex, Lex, and Pex, were all dancing in the middle of the floor.  Embarrassed at first by my presence, they soon carried on in their disco ways.  I noticed the stereo was on, the lights were dimmed, and the rats were boogying on the floor together.  They had inverted two of the lamp shades to create better ambiance, added a red bulb to one of them, and had hung a crystal stone from my chandelier on the edge of a coffee table to create a make-shift crystal ball.  The room was hopping with energy, vibrant colors reflected on the walls, and a steady beat filled the space.  I admired Lex's swinging hips and moving arms, Rex's rolling head and flopping ears, and Pex's break-dancing moves that exposed his white stomach patch.  Overwhelmed by the moment, I soon began dancing with my boys, moving in harmony with their furry legs, and began swinging my arm behind my back imitating the motions they were making with their strong prominent tails.  But this was more than just a dance ... I soon realized the food dishes were stocked with Doritos and Dip, Roxy (my albino female rat) was taking musical requests, and the water bowl was spiked with shots of Rum.  My rats knew how to party, and I was enjoying every minute of it!  After two licks from the bowl, three bites of the pot laced brownies, and three more songs, I soon knew I would not be able to keep up.  I finally hit the sack after leaving my rats behind, and hoped they would clean up the mess before morning.  Rats make amazing pets!

sjay

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 08:47:31 AM »
Have FUN!! Yeah they tend to "make noise". Right now I only have one guy and he makes enough noise for a herd. Just think how they must feel during the day when their sleeping and when we bumble around :)

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 11:23:06 AM »
My rats' cages are about two feet from the foot of my bed.  My boys are in their crazy teenage stage, so the sounds that come from that cage are quite alarming.  Screaming, bumping, screeching, tumbling... I used to get worried and turn on the lights and check on them, but they'd all just run happily to the front of the cage like, "What?  What's the problem?"  No scratches on them or anything.

Then there's always the re-decorating, where apparently the places I put their toys and houses just isn't good enough, and they have to change it around to make it appropriate (IE -- messy and cluttered).

But, come morning after a night of fighting, falling, throwing, and screaming, everyone's in one piece in the hammock, sleeping peacefully.
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Corrina

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat and reptile lover
    • my webpage
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 03:44:09 AM »
I used to keep my rats in my room last year. That is until I was constantly woken up to the sounds of play fighting, chirping, eeping, and tipping stuff over. Plus the annoying little bell toys they have hanging from the top of their cages. Needless to say, they are in the living room now, where they can be themselves at night and not bother me. At least I don't get cranky in the morning due to lack of sleep anymore, lol.

My love to all who have passed, and all that I currently care for.