Author Topic: Stray Rabbit  (Read 4873 times)

Offline RatHead

• Forum Enabler
  • Joey & Koko
Stray Rabbit
« on: April 10, 2005, 11:00:28 PM »
:help: I have a domestic rabbit that has found it's way into my backyard. It has apparently been staying on the back patio behind the lawn and garden equipment. My girlfriend found it today when she moved the lawnmower for the first time this year. It is large and brown and has black around his nose and ears, definitely not a wild rabbit. It won't let you get much more than 10 feet from it before it bolts. If we can figure out how to catch it we will care for it as a pet. I put the plastic pet carrier (small dog size) I take the rats to the vet in on the patio with some carrots and lettuce in it. What should I do next? Get a humane trap? Just try to befriend it? What would I house it in? I guess I need to do rabbit research, where do I start?
So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste.

Offline JillyBeanSalad

• What?
    • (Not a Rat Related Site)
Re: Stray Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 12:23:07 AM »
those humane traps work well, I know my rabbits always LOVE bananas, oh and timothy hay is much better than lettuce (lettuce is just water anyways).

Offline Hoodie Rat

• WARNING! infected with GGMR, extremely contagious
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 08:18:59 AM »
lettice would be good if its thirsty or dehydrated

~~(The Boys8:> Ludo, Didy, Weeble & Snoobly
<:8The Girls)~~ Truffle, Jubilee, Arianna, Phoebe, Twizzle & Tweek
~waiting for me at the Bridge~ Auron & Kimahri

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 08:29:26 AM »
You could check with your local humane society.  Some have humane traps you can rent.

Offline RatHead

• Forum Enabler
  • Joey & Koko
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 02:07:50 PM »
I called the local animal shelter today and told them about the rabbit just in case anyone reports one missing.  :police: They said they could loan me a live trap but didn't have any at the moment, they took my name and number and said they would call me when they had one. I'll get some timothy hay tonight and see if I can coax it into the screen porch tonight with some bananas. Thanx.

Offline ShantiDass

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 03:36:11 PM »
Please go to rabbit.org for info on the care and feeding of rabbits.  Iceberg lettuce is not good for them and carrots and bananas really have too much sugar for them and should be fed in extremely small amounts, if at all.  Mine get bananas or carrots about twice a year, and that's because I forget that I am eating some in front of them and then have to share. 

Timothy hay is better than alfalfa if the bun is not a young one.  But, oat hay or oat blend hay is the best as it has the most fiber and helps to push stuff through the gut. 

Mine live on salad greens and oat blend hay with an occasional handful of timothy hay.  I don't feed pellets as it's just ground up hay put back together with sugar. 

I think rabbit.org also has hints on catching/trapping buns.  We use the humane traps or take puppy pens and hold them out and walk towards them and trap them in a corner.

Good luck.

Offline Adventure Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moose says, "Get in my Belly"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 03:54:39 PM »
I would suggest rounding him up and traping him a corner. Be careful of thos back legs, they kick HARD and your bound to get a good one, if not two. If you get him in a corner he's most likely to freeze from fear. Good luck catching him. Let us know how it goes!!!

Offline LunaBug

• ~Rat a' tat tat~
    • Hamster Confessions!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 05:54:59 PM »
Catch that bunny! Most vets, animal shelters/controls, and humane societies will let you rent those humane traps...they are called Have-A-Heart Traps. We had 3 domestics rabbits set free behind our animal hospital. I caught 2 with the trap and one I jumped on while he was snacking on some veggies and timothy that I through out for him. He kicked and scratched me, but the little booger wouldn't go near the trap, after watching his friends. lol
Good luck!

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 06:18:33 PM »
Please also make note of the fact that you have to be very careful of their backs, they can slip discs in their back easily. So try not to pick the bun up if you don't know how to.

People often dump rabbits in the park where I work, and we often have to net them to catch them. Just be careful, have a box ready to put the bun into & close it quick so it's dark & quiet.
Yes, even for domestic bunnies.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline RatHead

• Forum Enabler
  • Joey & Koko
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 08:45:33 AM »
I didn't see him last night. :-\ I bought some timothy hay on the way home and put some under the trees and bushes where I saw him sitting before. We had a storm move in last night so I don't expect he'll be back 'til the weather breaks. I'll just have to keep an eye out for him. Thanks everyone.  :)

Offline IndieRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Hail Rattus!
    • Hail Rattus!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 08:04:10 PM »
Be careful of the teeth too...my dad tried to catch a released bun in our yard once and it bit the heck out of him.  Imagine giant rat-like teeth...he needed some stitches after he finally caught it.  Thick gloves and a live trap would probably be the best idea until you get an idea of its temperment since not all rabbits are as cuddly as they're made out to be!

We didn't keep evil bun if anyone is wondering, I'm horribly allergic to rabbits.  He was taken to the humane society by my mom while my dad made a trip to the ER.
~Jess' home for wayward beasts~
~current tenents~
14 rattie ladies
15 rattie gentlemen
2 girlie mice
Cleo the bearded dragon

~and 54 beautiful guardian spirits~