Author Topic: Help! Baby Rabbit! *Updated April 15th*  (Read 6611 times)

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
Help! Baby Rabbit! *Updated April 15th*
« on: April 13, 2005, 09:43:20 PM »
About 15 minutes ago our dog found a rabbit den and brought one of babies inside. And shockingly, she didnt harm it. I've never raised a wild rabbit, but I can see that it can hear but can not see. So it could be about 9 or 10 days old. What can we do to keep it alive? Can we put it back into the nest with it's sibling? Or will the mother reject it? PLease help!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 05:09:39 AM by sarahem007 »
Run your little hearts out at the bridge, Oreo, Jet, and Licky!

Offline Apopli

• Posts Too Much!
  • rwoar!
    • ScrapYarnProject.com
Re: Help! Baby Rabbit! *Please Help NOW!!*
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:53:42 PM »
I would opt for putting him/her back in the den and watching for the next couple days to make sure everything's ok.

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 09:55:38 PM »
Wild rabbits cannot live in our care unless you rehilbilitate & know exactly what to do.  Touch her as little as possible.  I would put her back & keep an eye on her.  When people touch wild rabbits too much they stress out & can die just from that.  Chelsea
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 11:39:37 PM »
i've raised everything else, lol, kitten, puppies, opossums, mice, but not wild rabbits. we watched the den for an hour and a half, went to our normal bussiness and the parents came back, sniffed and just walked away. These arent cotten tails either. They're black witha blaze of white on their forheads. A man lives behind us and raises rabbits for food, but I wouldnt dream of taking them to him, he'd kill them. Instead we're taking them to a local pwetting zoo, the owner has experiance of all sorts of wild animals. Even wallabees.(sp)

We got the 2 remaining babies and built a nest and fed them. We're getting up every 2 hours to check on them. but tommorrow we'll go get more milk and nutrical and call around to get them to a new home.

Wish us Luck!

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 11:46:12 PM »
Just so you know, mother rabbit doesnt come to feed the little ones until it gets dark.  She feeds and dawn and dusk.  So depending on when you were watching the den for her, if it was afternoon you would not have seen her.  Good luck with them.

Offline BlueMoon

• Posts Too Much!
    • Volunteers for Wildlife
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 05:56:38 AM »
Nancycccslp is the baby rabbit expert around here, but she is probably busy feeding her own baby bunnies right now. :)  If at this point you have the babies and the mom isn't coming back, the best thing to do is get them to someone who is experienced in raising bunnies as soon as you can. Bunnies are REALLY hard to handfeed (just ask Nancy!), but if you end up having to take care of them yourself for a while, the correct formula to use is KMR. I'm assuming you know all basics given your experience with other critters, but if you have any other questions, just ask.

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 06:41:31 AM »
(yawn groan)
There isn't enough tea on the planet.......................
My 2 guys are about 1 1/2 weeks old NOW, and I've had them for 6 days.  I have to feed them every 3 1/2 hours during the day, and it takes half an hour to feed them.  I have to take them to work with me, and stash them in my cabinet where it's quiet.  They need to be kept WARM, so I warm up a Snuggle Safe every morning and put it under the travel case I made for them.  I have to bring their formula, and a syringe and nipple, and cotton balls to stimulate them to pee.  Oh yeah, DO NOT FORGET to get a cotton ball wet with warm water, and gently pat their "goodies" to make them pee.  I also use a gentle downward stroke on the tummy, and squeeze a little water out of the cotton ball onto their peepees to encourage urination.  And I have to be sneaky; I'm not sure what my administrators would say if they knew about the bunnies.  They know I'm a Wildlife Rehabilitator, but I think they would gak at the idea of the critters being in the building!  But then, I'm pretty sure Eileen once brought opossums to a wedding, and just ask BlueMoon about the baby mouse on a nature birdwatching boat trip!  :yelcutelaugh:
Your best bet is to find a wildlife rehabber near you.  Bunnies are HARD.  Mine are in a warm-water incubator here, and I have had to give one of them sub-Q fluids because of dehydration.  And they STILL might not make it; bunnies die easily. 
Oh, use something to make the nest inaccessible to your dog, but the mother rabbit can still get thru.  Raising all of them by hand is very, very, difficult!
But they are cute!  Mine still haven't opened their eyes.  Their mom was killed by a weed-whacker.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
Sadly, about 4 hours ago, the cat caught the mother rabbit and killed her. She was a tiny rabbit. Not a wild breed either.

As for the babies, 2 are males and 1 is a female. The male that the dog caught rejects milk, so we force feed him 2  - 3 drops. The other 2 are very eager when it's feeding time. I'm not sure, but do rabbits have poryphyrin also? If not, then the little male has a bloody nose.

We've called everywhere! Even the wildlife place here and they said they do not take in rabbits. The SPCA said no also. I'm still waiting for the petting zoo to call. BUt if not, my mom will help hand raise them.

I really hope these babies make it, they're too cute. It looks like either tommorrow or the next day they'll open their eyes. Aww!

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 12:29:10 PM »
I raised a rabbit baby that was the only survivor during a house construction.. they dug up the nest and killed all but one baby..   

the baby was older though, eyes already opened, and I only had to feed it two or three times a day.  a few days later he was accepting grass and greens.. 

I know rabbits are a HECK of a lot different at hand raising than rodents... and my prior experience was only with rats, mice, and a chipmunk.. so this was much different for me!

Offline jeannerat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Hi!
    • Paintings by Valerie Jeanne
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 03:02:13 PM »
We've called everywhere! Even the wildlife place here and they said they do not take in rabbits. The SPCA said no also. I'm still waiting for the petting zoo to call. BUt if not, my mom will help hand raise them.

Try calling individual animal hospitals and vets (including your own personal vet).  They may have a list of wildlife rehabbers.

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 03:19:24 PM »
I got the call from the petting zoo. he said he'd take them in once they were older, like about 10 weeks. he said he couldnt handle them right now. so we're going to raise them.

south carolina has nothing here. they don't care about wild life here. :( I'm still going to look around.

Thanks

ps. as I mentioned earlier, do rabbits have poryphryin.

pss. the babies are covered in ant bites :(

Offline ShantiDass

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 05:56:07 PM »
Rabbits don't have porphyrin. 

Do you know the petting zoo person?  Those people generally frighten me.  When I've stopped by petting zoo's, they don't really care how the animals are handled and I've seen buns handled very roughly.  And they allow them to breed, keep the babies and kill the adults since the babies are "cuter" and draw more attention.  Just a thought. 

If they make it, how about trying a rabbit rescue?  Where in South Carolina are you?  A friend of mine is a vet and just moved from SC, so if youd' like, I can ask her if she knows anyone or anywhere.

FYI - 2 to 3 drops is not enough for a bunny. 

Good luck.

Offline ShadowWolf

• Posts Too Much!
    • Shadow Brook Rodentry
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 06:08:57 PM »
I would do some definate research on the nutritional needs of young rabbits.  I hope all goes well.  Good luck.

Dream the dreams that have never been dreamt. - David Bower

Offline nancycccslp

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Mr.Whisper, Teddy Ratsevelt; my first rat friends
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 06:19:10 PM »
It sounds like the one that the dog caught sustained an injury, even if you can't see it.  Rabbits get hurt very easily.  Is the stomach bloated?  Is he cold, lethargic? Is he dehydrated?  When you pinch his skin, how long until it goes back down?   How's the color of his mouth; is it nice and pink or is it pale?  Compare to his siblings for a reference.  Get KMR and use that to feed them.  Try for 2-3 cc per feeding. Remember to stimulate them to pee before and after every feeding.
The general advice;
Keep warm
Keep fed (but be careful that their stomachs don't get hard from overfeeding/underpeeing!)
Keep quiet.
I miss you and love you Teddy Ratsevelt and Benny.  Thank you for being my heart rats.

It's not the size of the pet in your life, it's the size of the life in your pet

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 08:08:51 PM »
OPh we're doing everything above in the post. I'll look at the little guy when I go to feed him. The male that got caught(aka runt) was very eager to feed. My mom fed him around 3ccs. They havent pooed any.do they poo? they have peed though. The other too are much stronger than runt, but we're working on it.

The petting zoo guy, Ocain, is great with his animals. I know him personaly. But, I'm not sure if he has rabbits.

If I can't find any one here to take in the babies after about 8-10 weeks, I'll look outside of SC.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 08:32:16 PM »
That's odd that you are having such a hard time finding someone who will raise baby bunnies.  From what you've said, I doubt they are actually wild rabbits (unless the mother was domestic and the father wild?).  In any case, like others have mentioned, you could try calling vets.

Good luck with them, poor little babies. :BlueDumboBigEyes:
~Julie

Offline sarahem007

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 05:06:42 AM »
6:30 AM 04/15/05:

A wonderful morning! The babies got 2 1/2 ccs each, one a bit more, she was really hungry. I was soo worried last night because they kept rejecting food, but then I realized they did have a big feeding last time. So, it could be another 6 hours until they're ready to eat again. That may be good, I need some sleep.

Please keep these babies in your thoughts and prayers, they need it. Thanks, Sarah

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
Re: Help! Baby Rabbit! *Updated April 15th*
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 07:31:45 PM »
Glad to hear they're hanging in there, good job!  I'll be keeping them in my prayers.
~Julie