Author Topic: Calling all cat owners  (Read 11797 times)

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
Calling all cat owners
« on: May 19, 2005, 02:17:45 PM »
I need some information.

I guess its a constant thing. Whenever your rats start to get sick you start to question your decision to keep them as pets and loathe the fact that they are only with you for a very short time which means that you go through the grieving process often.

So here is what I'm thinking. I'm thinking that I definately want to keep having rats as pets ... because they are simply perfect for me. I'm thinking that, I might want to both limit the number of rats I keep to 3 or so, I could afford (in time I mean) to have another pet.

It needs to be something cuddly, it needs to be something that lives for many years and doesn't live in a cage ... because I do enough cage cleaning already.

So I'm thinking that once my rat population becomes smaller, a cat might be a good option. But I want to check first if my lifestyle would be cat friendly.

First off, I live in a one bedroom appartment ... so there is a living room, my bedroom, a kitchen and a bathroom ... and potentially an attic to roam. Would that be large enough for a cat? I wouldn't want to have a cat that goes outdoor. My neighborhood is freaky crazy and it just wouldn't be safe.

Second question, can a cat live as an only cat or are they like rats and need company of their own kind?

Third question, can a cat be left on its own for close to 48h. I go to Montreal every weekend unless I have ratsers on meds. With the rats this is not a problem with adequate food and fresh water.

Would this be acceptable for a cat to go through on a regular basis? Aside from those trips, the cat would be on its own between 8AM and 5PM as I work but I would be there every weeknight as I'm pretty much a recluse and rarely go out.

Fourth question, if these "conditions" seem acceptable, what breed would you recommend (aside from the ones without hair ... its just not my thing ... and I want fur to pet)? My only condition would be a breed on the low end of the shedding spectrum and/or that has dark hair (I love black so a white cat shedding all over the place would probably drive me nuts).

Oh, a small fifth question, would you recommend getting an adult cat or a younger one, given the conditions that the cat would be living in.

Much appreciated

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
Re: Calling all cat owners
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 02:35:14 PM »
Well my cat goes outdoors on a leash and harness, and she walks along the sidewalk up and down the place...  so they can still get fresh air and go outside, just keep them restrained (I don't like outdoor cats either, but all my mom's cats are indoor/outdoor). 

I have a very affectionate, needy, sweet cat who just constantly wants to be with you or else she'll cry ... constantly.   I know my mom's cats could care less and the one who used to be a feral, in particular, will run off for days, then come back randomly like nothing's wrong.   I don't think I could leave my cat home alone for very long except when I'm at work.. and then she's at the window crying for me to come in..   I'm sure I did that to her somehow, spoiling her rotten, but ah well..   it depends on the cat.

I LOVE maine coons..  my mom has a female (not as big as the males.. who are enormous) who doesn't act like a cat very much.   she jumps into the shower with you and sleeps in the sink..   she LOVES water, and when she's outside, she'll growl and attack the golfers (mom lives on a golf course).  she's fairly independant as well.. 

I'm sure this doesn't help at all but just personal experience being shared.  all our other cats were either originally feral cats, barn cats, or freebees..  the ONLY cat we've ever had that was purebred (even the maine coon isn't purebred, but her brother is HUUUGEEEEE) was a seal point himalayan who was the sweetest thing in the world, and I have a picture of her sleeping in my crib with me, licking my head. 

OH OH what about ragdolls?  they're cool cats that you can do pretty much anything to and they don't care.  you pick them up and they go limp...   they're basically known for their temperament... and I keep thinking my kitty has some ragdoll in her because of the way she acts.. you can pick her up and she goes limp, toss her about and she could care less (I sound horrible now, LOL).  and what I found out from the woman giving the kittens away, the mother looked just like her except with long hair (she looks like a mitted siamese.. which is what ragdolls look like with long hair). 

dunno...  ignore this post..  seeing star wars in another hour so I"m all psyched up and I just got out of work .. 10 hour shift today UGH!

Offline redslurpee

• Posts Too Much!
    • Toadbriar
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 02:57:52 PM »
Your situation seems cat-suitable!
They do like to sit at on open window & get
fresh air through the screen, even if they don't
go out. I have 3, 2 of which are ex-street strays,
& none of them want to go outside at all, even though
they enjoy our screened porch.

I would not worry about breeds - cat types are
just not that variable as to type, as dogs are, &
you can often find 'close enough' in looks or personality
at a local shelter, if there is some trait you particularly
like, ie: vocal siamese, etc. I would say, pick a color
& hair length. Of my 3, two of them shed outrageously
& one of them hardly at all - yet they are all short-haired,
regular ol' black, b&w, & tabby-white kitties - nothing fancy.

Cats with extra toes are neato ;-)

I say visit with the kitties at the shelter & see who clicks
with you. Likely the shelter folks know a bit about each
kitty's background & personality, ideal home, etc.

I would recommend getting an adult kitty - kittens are cute
but adults seem so much more grateful, & you know already
what they are 'like' in terms of personality. They are also harder
to place. You might see if there is one kitty who needs to be
the only pet - those can be hard to place. Or you could get a
pair. Two are really no more trouble than one, & they keep each
other occupied, groom & cuddle. This would make those Montreal
weekends less lonely.

Poke around on petfinder.com to see what's available, see what
the individual descriptions say, & see what appeals to you.

There's just nothing like curling up under a blanket on a stormy
night, keeping cozy with a warm kitty & a good book!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 03:16:39 PM »
If you were going to be gone that long, I'd recommend a pair of cats, so they can keep each other company.  Cats are independent, but that doesn't mean they like being alone all the time, and a companion gives them a distraction so they're less likely to get into trouble.  :)  Cats CAN be left along for 48 hour stretches, just take the same precautions as you do with the rats, and make sure there is extra food and water.  

I think a ragdoll is a good suggestion, temperment-wise, and Maine Coons are nice, as well.  However, you can find perfectly good "mutts" at a rescue that will be just as loving, so don't rule that out as an option, either.

A younger cat is more likely to be adaptable than an older one, but we've adopted all of ours about about 2 years of age, and had very few problems blending them together into a family (complete with sibling rivalry ;) ).

Good luck, whatever you decide.  :)

Offline SilverTycho

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 03:27:34 PM »
I think those conditions would be fine for a cat.  I say look around at shelters.  They have all sorts of cats that can be extra special.  My cat Harley is the more special cat I've even known, and he was a regular shelter cat, ordinary color even.  No purebred I could have bought could have been as special as him.  Plus, he was sick and needed adopted quickly so I feel even more bonded to him knowing that I saved him.  I recommend getting an adult who was surrendered by itself if you only want one cat.  Most of my cats prefer to be by themselves, except the younger ones.  If you get a kitten, you should probably get two because kittens need a lot of attention, and generally don't like being alone.  I got Harley as an only kitten, and he constantly wanted to be with me.  He was not happy when I even left to go to the store.  I didn't work full time, though, so I could provide him with the attention he needed.  He adores when Lexus (a younger kitty of about the same age) comes to visit.  It's so cute watching them play.
Erin

Offline zooat113

• when the going gets tough, take a nap!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 03:48:32 PM »
If I were in your situation I suppose the 2 biggest considerations I'd have is 1) what would you plan on feeding kitty?  I know the popular(and assumed?) choice is kibble/dry food but I'm becoming aware that like our rattie friends, cats have specific needs that often arn't (and quite frankly can't be) well met by kibble. Check out www.catnutrition.org for a more articulate viewpoint.  In any case if you go with kibble 48 hour streches arn't too horrible as you can simply do like you do with your rats and make sure there is an abundant supply of food/water with a clean litter box and you should be good to go.  2) Cat/Rat cohabitation can be a bit tricky, especially if, like my kitties, yours ends up being a dedicated "its moving! chase it!" type.  I hear that raising cats from a young age with smaller critters can help with the situation but hasn't seemed to be of much benifit in my case.  This wouldn't present too much of a problem except if a rat got out and kitty decided to chase it, having the rats in a room where the cat isn't allowed unless you're home or some similar situation would probably help cut down the risk.  We're lucky in that we have someone home pretty often.
Also to consider is how much of a clean freak are you?  There will be fur in places you don't expect, and assorted expelled substences on the floor/carpet if kitty gets sick and depending on how much you vaccum around the cat box litter can track pretty far.  Yes cats are clean critters when all is said and done, but they're not perfect.    Probably not a huge deal for a rat keeper but still something to think about.

In any case if you decide to go for it, I too would reccomend getting a cat/kitten from a rescue/shelter, ours came to us because they were an accidental litter and their next stop would have been a shelter.  Purebred cats are nice if thats what you like but lots of perfectly good friends in shelters too :)
Best of luck
Cole
Happily Owned by:
Wickett the dwarf hamster
Tigg & Gir the tag-team kittens
Freud, Wundt and Pavlov the fuzzybutt rats
Thorndike & Watson the pink wrinklebutt rats

~RIP Pandora~ see you at the bridge you little brat <3

Offline AnnieB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 03:51:13 PM »
I think a cat would be a good pet given your situation.  I bred and showed persians and colourpoint (Himalayan) persians for many years and there were a fair number of weekends when I would be out of town at shows and the cats still at home were perfectly fine for 36-48 hours with extra food and water. 

Two cats are not double the work of one in fact, and as someone mentioned they do interact with one another and can keep each other company if you're working during the day or gone overnight.

As cats are individuals like people are, there's no real way to predict whether a kitten or adult would do better for your specific situation, however as a very broad guide, kittens who are raised by you will imprint on you, adult cats may take somewhat longer to come around...   Kittens are fun, high energy, higher maintenance than adult cats.  They teethe, they do chew, they take supervision. 

The different breeds of cats actually _do_ interact very differently with their people, but again, like dog breeds...there is _huge_ variation amongst individuals.  Persians (this is 'my' breed) tend to be low-energy and slightly high maintenance (requiring brushing daily..for this reason I've always recommended getting a kitten so you can get it used to grooming early in life...getting a fight every time you try to brush your cat isn't fun).  I love them dearly but I'll just say it straight up right now..I've never met a brilliant persian.. they're not stupid.. but they're definitely not the sharpest claw in the zoo...
They don't shed nearly as much as people think they do since they require regular grooming (and incidentally.. i've got many items I've knitted out of their spun fur =)

Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest cats are both long hair breeds but much lower maintenance than persians.  They both shed _copiously_ during season changes as their new coats come in.  My friends who have both breeds constantly tell me amazing stories about their powers of perception.  One friend has a NFC who has learned to use the telly remote AND dvd remote (not joking).  My maine coon toilet trained herself and would even flush the toilet... seriously...

When I read your post... the breed that popped into my head immediately was Abyssinian... they're just amazing agile intelligent loyal animals.... they're very very perceptive.. independant... not extremely vocal (though they can and have a very distinct voice).  Definite einstein material... My dear friend Zoe's abby named Piglet is a real charmer (and I swear to you he says 'HAMMMM' to say he wants a treat (usually ham).  They're short haired and require very little maintenance.  Second to abbies, I would recommend Singapura... they're intelligent, exotic looking, fearless and loyal...(difficult to find a breeder though).  They're also the smallest registered breed of cat.. probably about the same size as your ratties ;)

Ragdolls are nice of course, but they too shed like the dickens...

Don't discount a shelter kitty as well... there are so many who so desperately need a forever home.  (Incidentally this is why I stopped breeding persians.. even though I did well with showing and enjoyed it very much... I couldn't reconcile the rosettes I won with the millions of animals being euthanised annually).  I definitely don't want this to digress into any sort of flamefest... all our animals are precious and loved.. it was just a conscience call for me personally... (and fwiw all my kitties were altered when I stopped breeding persians and all had  forever homes until they passed on).. 

Sorry I didn't mean to write a novel... as usual ;)

Good luck!

Annie in Norway

PS CFA website is a good place to go and see pictures of various breeds---> http://www.cfa.org/breeds.html

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 04:01:01 PM »
Well, I don't know what I would feed the cat, but probably not kibble all the time. In addition to their harlan, my rats get fresh food daily except on Saturdays, I would not have it otherwise for a cat.

I think I'd get one of these

http://ca.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/pcd/3176439/ccsyn/261

To feed the cat its wet food while I'm away.

I probably wouldn't get a purebred cat ... like with rats there are so many homeless ones I'd probably look at shelters first.

As for rat interaction, yes, that is a concern. In a way I'm not worried about the cage ... its more than 120 pounds so no cat could ever tip that thing and its extremely solid ... I stand on it and it won't bend or break ... its actually a customized cat condo and a rat cannot open the latches, their bodies are not big enough for them to even reach the latch let alone press a spring loaded lever while at the same time lifting and unlatching a lever.

On the one hand, a very mellow adult cat could be less interested in chasing rats but then again, maybe a very young kitten could be accustomed to the rats while they are small and the rats are rather big.

Yep, lots of things to ponder ... but better ponder them now than regret my decision later.

Thanks for the replies, its all very instructive.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 04:14:56 PM by RKEM »

Offline redslurpee

• Posts Too Much!
    • Toadbriar
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 04:41:20 PM »
Just a thought...I had cats before I had rats, & my
cats have been all 5+ years old since I've had rats.
& 2 of my 3 will sniff when the rats run up to them,
& then the kitties will run away. The 3rd cat I wouldn't
trust within 6 feet of the rats. Funny, when the rats are
out playing & Goblin kitty looks TOO interested & is edging
closer, I say his name in that 'you better back off' tone, Tice
the boxer herds him out of the room! Helpful puppy ;)

It occurs to me also that there are purebred cat rescues as well.
Kitties who didn't grow into a promising show career, who are
gorgeous but don't like showing, or are retired/spayed, siamese
with a kinked tail or crossed eyes, etc.

I'll never live long enough to have as many kitties over my life
as I'd like to get acquainted with.

Offline Apopli

• Posts Too Much!
  • rwoar!
    • ScrapYarnProject.com
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 04:49:22 PM »
If you only want one cat instead of two, you have the option at rescues to look for the ones that CANNOT be with other cats. Shelters and rescues often say those cats are really hard to find homes for.

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 05:15:17 PM »
I wish I had time to write more...  I'll try to do that later.

My quickest advice would be to get two cats if you have to be gone every weekend.  I know my own cats are so attention hungry and needy that they'd be very upset/sad/stressed if they had to be alone without some kind of companion.

Plus, watching cats interract with one another is priceless - they really enjoy one another's company.

I highly, highly suggest finding a rescue/shelter that has a pair of cats.  They have a hard time adopting out pairs like that, and you'd save them from having to be seperated.  :)

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 05:52:30 PM »
Now this is a topic I can dive into! ;)

Cats don't typically need a ton of room. As it is they tend to curl up into the tiniest of places. Kittens will obviously require more space, more attention, more time, more training. I haven't had kittens in six years. I highly prefer adults. They are way more easy-going, understanding, able to acclimate to new (friendly) situations, etc. Kittens test your patience. Over and over and over again. There are plenty of adult cats needing homes, in both breeder homes and rescues/shelters/foster care. Kittens are cute (so are adults) but they require so much more than adult cats.  Your situation sounds fine for two adult cats that are easy-going.

>>Second question, can a cat live as an only cat or are they like rats and need company of >>their own kind?

Cats can live as an 'only child', in fact there are lots of cats out there that need homes that DON'T have other cats in the household.  Most cats do just fine being by themselves, however I find that most of the time they DO want to have contact with another cat every-so-often. And really, two cats aren't anymore difficult than one. That is, unless, you get kittens. Hahaha  However, if you truly only want one, there are cats out there looking for situations such as the one you'd be willing to provide :)

>>Third question, can a cat be left on its own for close to 48h.

Cats are very independent. They will probably be longing for your attention by the time you return, especially if they are by themselves. As far as care goes, if you leave them with fresh litterboxes, a hefty supply of food, and several water sources, you should be set. In fact, online Pet stores such as Petsmart sell these timer feeders that you can set to certain times. There is one that lasts 48 hours and another that lasts I believe 5 days. They are compartment feeders, and I believe there is even a section to put a coldpack to keep soft food fresh. Also, there are the waterers... fountains, whatever, that you could leave for that relatively short amount of time.

>>Would this be acceptable for a cat to go through on a regular basis?

Luckily, as I said above, cats are pretty independent. They sleep most of the day away, and will probably be awake at the times they know you'll be home.

>>Fourth question, if these "conditions" seem acceptable, what breed would you >>recommend (aside from the ones without hair ... its just not my thing ... and I want fur to

I'm sorry I can't help you there. I've never had any 'specific' breed. My cats have always found their way to me... not the other way around. All mixes. All wonderful :)

>>Oh, a small fifth question, would you recommend getting an adult cat or a younger one, >>given the conditions that the cat would be living in.

Given those conditions, I'd look into getting an adult cat for sure. Kittens need a LOT of time and attention, like dogs, and would probably not do well if you are gone every weekend.

Are you going to be looking into breeders or rescues if you decide to adopt a cat?

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 06:59:28 PM »
Melina - can you train my cats to be more independent??   :yelcutelaugh:

As it is, I can't go to ANY room in my apartment without one following me, and as soon as I get home, they're all maowing... one of them for about a half hour straight!  They're suuuuper needy!

I guess it depends on the cat?  Most cats I've had seem to be really dependent..  but then, it's probably my fault for the way I raise them.  ^_^;

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 07:15:18 PM »
personally, i would go with what melina said.

all of my cats have come to me as adults in the past years except for 2 young kittens when i was a child --- and ALL of them have lived with rats. my rats are not in danger from the cats, and if they were, i can easily keep the cats out of the rat room while i am not home. otherwise, my cages are secure, my cats have better things to do - no one has every gotten hurt (knock on wood) with 1-2 dogs and 1-2 cats out at all times.

personally, i would go with an adult cat from a shelter. first, i would say that adult cats probably have the lowest adoption rate of ANY animal in ANY shelter. both of my current cats came to me as adults, and i dont regret that for an instant (ok, ask me again when im cleaning up puke)

in fact, i HAD 4 kittens i fostered, and i adopted each and every one of them out in ORDER to adopt an adult cat :)

if you only want a single cat, i would suggest you definitely adopt the ones listed as "must be only cats". if you do opt for kittens, i would MOST DEFINITELY suggest getting two of them. i also would not recommend leaving kittens over the weekend at first.

kittens are cute, but adult cats are where its at (for me). ive been able to pick adult cats that fit exactly into my lifestyle, and they are exactly what i want in personality. the last one i brought home, was downstairs hanging out with my friends, dog and other cat within 1 hour of coming home, without a second thought. he had no problem going around the house, didnt care about everything, and had the exact personality i need to fit into my household. NONE of the kittens i fostered had it.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Ree

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ree's Ramblings
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2005, 07:17:52 PM »
None of our cats have been clingy.  Unless they were after something.  Like food.

I went to visit mum last week, and my Nala cat ran away from me "mrapmrapmrap."  Little wench.  She should MISS ME.  :P

Anyway, thanks for posting this thread, rkem, I've been curious about such things myself.  :)
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Offline bluratz

• Posts Too Much!
  • Just remember what's important..
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 07:27:04 PM »
i'm going to simply ditto what people have said, it's all good info.  The thing that I will re-state is that the best breed is a SHELTER CAT, and kittens are cute but they all grow up to be cats so skip that and get a cat..  :BlueDumboSmile:
The rabbits: Snow, Daisy, Giggles
The cats: Juno, Maximus and Marley
The fish: eaten by Marley
The boy: Nolan
The fosters: Hot Wheels, Lego, Transformer

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 07:51:59 PM »
Quote from: TheChicagoCrew link=topic=35569.msg36
 [quote
Are you going to be looking into breeders or rescues if you decide to adopt a cat?
-Melina

If I decide to go ahead with it, more likely than not, I will adopt a shelter cat. What can I say, if they've had a rough start, if they were born with a handicap (like my little one-eyed and fully blind PaiMei) I just love them even more. I only take in rescue rats, not bred rats because I can afford the often more important vet bills that come from taking rats with a worse past and perhaps not a good genetic baggage. Its more heartbreak but when you give them a full happy life, its even more rewarding.

I mean sure I find some of the cat breeds simply stunning in appearance but if by making myself happy I cangive a cat a well deserved forever home its even better. In the end, I want a furry ball that will purr and that I can hold onto when I feel sad, play with and pet. Pedigree really doesn't matter much I think.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 07:54:53 PM by RKEM »

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 09:46:44 PM »
ok skipping and skimming.

your life style sounds perfect for a cat. I personally would go with a shelter kitten, as you would want it to grow up around the rats so it could learn that rats are friends, not snacks ;).

I feed natural balance cat food, it is an all stages kind of food, and it gives my cats fur a great glow, and they are VERY healthy.

Do NOT feed wet cat food more than twice a week, it can cause blood in the stool (has happened to many cats I have owned, and friends have owned when they feed canned more than twice a week, so maybe a coincedence, maybe not, but I would rather be safe than sorry).
Eating dry food also helps keep their teeth clean.

don't give cat nip to cats under 6 months old. Other than that, I'm sure everyone else has  anything else covered, lol.

just had to put in my view of it.
(my kitties don't go out side either, we even rescued one from an outdoor place where we had to chase her down, she was a bit wild, and even now will only allow herself to be touched when SHE wants to be touched)
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »
I disagree about the kitten thing. Kittens can be VERY trying and difficult to train. Adults have more of a 'mental capacity', if you will, to learn about these things. I've never had a problem with any of my cats. Some walked straight off the street, showed some interest, was scolded (spray bottle) and never bothered them again. However when four of my cats were kittens it was near IMPOSSIBLE to keep them away from the smaller critters. IMPOSSIBLE. Especially when there are FOUR of them BOUNDING off the walls 24 hours a day. Oh I'm sorry, they did sleep one hour..so 23 hours a day. Hahaha  :yelcutelaugh:

I've fed both dry and wet food and have never experienced blood being in the stool of any of my cats. When cats come here malnourished we will feed them whatever we can to help fatten them up, and wet food is a part of that. Most of our healthy cats are on dry food. An elderly cat and one of our sickies (cancer) eats wet food on a regular basis with their dry. Sometimes there's no other choice for them. I agree that dry food is better for them due to the teeth cleaning capabilities ;)  But they do enjoy wet food from time to time (birthdays!)

Why not give catnip to cats under 6mos of age? Again, I've always used catnip and have never had a problem. Although, kittens DONT necessarily need the 'kick' that they get from catnip ;)

*All* of our cats are indoors ONLY. There is too much risk with letting them go outside. I've always dreamed of constructing an outdoor play area for them and now that I have the room to do so we will start making the plans soon. However most of my rescues have been strays or ferals and they've all settled down to an indoor-only lifestyle. We provide lots of window ledges and open doors (with screens/storm doors attached, of course) to look out, etc.

I'm very happy to hear, RKEM, that you will most likely be going with a shelter cat. *high five!* Soo many cats in shelters are perfect companions, it's hard to believe most of them find themselves in such unfortunate circumstances!

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 01:18:59 AM »
Most cats simply do not react to catnip until they reach 6 months of age.

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 02:30:31 AM »
Are you calling my cats weird? ;)  Sorry. I know that for a fact! LOL!  Good to know though.. I hadn't heard of that before.

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline AnnieB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 07:33:40 AM »
Most cats simply do not react to catnip until they reach 6 months of age

I've only had a few who were 'nip addicts...  My big male Boo Berry (don't blame me.. he came from the cattery I imported him from with that silly name) drools, his eyes roll up in his head.. he turns into a complete lump...   My girl kitties would generally look on in mild disgust while he would roll on his back on the floor like the spazz he is :P 

It seems they either 'get' it.. or totally couldn't care less...  All my kitties love having fresh greens to nibble though.. so I keep a dish of sprouting wheat for them to nibble as they want... (Again... sometimes they love it.. other times it gets ignored apart from the bum-prints where someone or other sits on it ><

All my cats are indoor only... but my mother in law's cats both drive me to distraction eating my catnip (Nepeta cataria) and catmint (Nepeta mussinii)  plants.  I'd be interested to find out what percentage of cats have a reaction to nepetalactone (the 'active' ingredient in the catnip)...  Perhaps it's just a persian thing... but for the most part.. my kitties couldn't care less about the stuff...

Annie in Norway
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 07:37:14 AM by AnnieB »

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 08:30:19 AM »
have to agree here.

first, wet food is GREAT and most current veterinary research is showing that MORE wet cat food is better than NONE -- in fact, i know many cats that are much healthier eating ONLY canned!!!!!
dry doesnt do anything for their teeth because most cats just swallow most kibble whole. canned food causes no blood in the stool - if your cats had that problem, then i would seek medical care, since it is not related to the canned food.

that being said, you CAN find purebred cats in shelters. i got my purebred birman (all 15 lbs of him) in a shelter in RI. i wasn't even looking for a cat, he found me.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 11:19:13 AM »
My animals must have been weird then, we tried different brands of wet food, and had several tests ran, they were healthy as can be, just couldn't have wet food more than 2 times a week.

Swallow the food whole!  :o NONE of my cats do that, believe me, I can hear them munching late into the night, lol.

It is hard to train kittens because they are so curious, may sound mean, but let them get nibbled on once or twice, they may possibly learn from that. lol. Just make sure the cages are "strapped down" so they can't be toppled over. I used to have a cat in a room with various rat/mouse/hamster cages, she got bit once (even had to have a stitch) she generally just sits and stares at the cages now, and completely refuses to jump on them or put her paws near them.

You can find purebred animals in shelters, I once found a scotish fold, and I was just dieing to bring it home........but the shelter adopted it, litterly, it became the "shelter cat" that greeted people and such. lol.
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 01:37:06 PM »
well unfortunately my kitty has an extremely sensitive stomach and I have to buy some special brand or else she'll puke up everything else..  she wasn't like this as a kitten though, which is weird... 

you know, my cat plays with my rats...  she doesn't hurt them or anything and if annything they can (and have) defend themselves.