Author Topic: Calling all cat owners  (Read 11429 times)

Offline Ravyn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Controlled Insanity
Re: Calling all cat owners
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 02:28:18 PM »
On the subject of cat food, if you have the means, raw is usually best.

If not, you want a really good quality kibble/canned food. Wet is usually better than dry, but whether they chew it or not, dry food of any kind has very little 'tooth cleaning' ability, no matter what vets tell you. It's basically kin to you trying to brush your teeth by eating dry cereal. Just doesn't work, beyond a very minute amount of scraping of surface tartar, if that.

If you feed your cat any kind of processed food its good to get them used to getting their teeth brushed. The best way to keep your cat (and dog) tartar free is to feed them raw food, especially meat bones.

I now have six cats in a two bedroom apartment, and I have no issues from them save they've learned to open drawers and pull stuff out :) I, too, would offer the advice that if you're going to be away from home for an extended time, two is better than one.
Nothing so sweet
As four furry feet
Pattering
On my heart

**Hazel, Piglet, Willow, Aslan, Minerva, Oliver, Tsali, Jasper and Athena. Dogs Red and Sadie Rose.

Over the Rainbow: Starr, Garth, Clio, Dublin, Saidee, Perseus, Ariseti, Weasley, Riddle, Cerberus, Angel, Cosmo, and Orion; The Mouse Club

Offline RKEM

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 03:34:45 PM »
It is hard to train kittens because they are so curious, may sound mean, but let them get nibbled on once or twice, they may possibly learn from that. lol. Just make sure the cages are "strapped down" so they can't be toppled over. I used to have a cat in a room with various rat/mouse/hamster cages, she got bit once (even had to have a stitch) she generally just sits and stares at the cages now, and completely refuses to jump on them or put her paws near them.

If I get a cat who can topple this behemoth :

I'd be more worried about my own life than anything else. I have a hard time moving it around because its heavier than me  :P

That being said, this is a wee bit more confusing that I expected ... with the opinions on foods and such but I'm sure it will be like with rats, learn learn learn.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 03:36:42 PM by RKEM »

Offline redslurpee

• Posts Too Much!
    • Toadbriar
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 03:57:23 PM »
That being said, this is a wee bit more confusing that I expected ... with the opinions on foods and such but I'm sure it will be like with rats, learn learn learn.

Don't let the food thing intimidate you. It really comes
down to a matter of opinion & preference. I can't comment
on feeding raw, but I had to switch my cats from dry to canned.
Goblin at 6 years old decided that he could not process grains
anymore, even though he'd been on Innova kibble since 7 weeks
old. He was suddenly vomiting on a daily basis. So on the vet's
advice we switched to canned &  happily, no more barfs.  Canned
for my cats = less poop (because the canned food has water to
bulk it out instead of indigestible grains) & I worry a lot less about
them developing urine crystals from getting not enough water. Cats
don't drink water with as much gusto as dogs, & inadequate hydration
can lead to urinary blockages especially in male cats.

Stick with good brands like Innova, California Natural, Wellness, Eagle
Pack etc & you'll do alright. I am sure if you wanna know about raw
someone will have plenty of info for that :)

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 07:21:05 PM »
we have 4 cats and i have raised a litter of orphaned kittes an the are not that hard to litter train you have to be reeeeeaaaaly paitent with them .and as for food they eat dry because bthey could care less about it besides if they are picky it's there for later.and for breeds i like alll breeds the shelter is a realy good place to look
just my two cents
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2005, 05:18:28 AM »
I gave catnip to my 2 at about 6 months - Boris loved it but Billie smacked it several times with her paw "Bad catnip, bad, bad".

I must say we've been truly lucky with our kittens.  Only one or two 'accidents' and generally they've been so incredibly good (my bf is good with teaching them, mainly with tone of voice; much better than me).  They've also been great company for each other and it's wonderful watching them play.  They didn't get to go out until they were about 10 months old as we had to put a hole through a brick wall to put the cat door in.  When I moved here a year ago, until I got the kittens 2 weeks later, it was the first time I'd lived in a catless house for 21 years!  Good thing I had my ratties and a new boyfriend!
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2005, 07:33:04 AM »
Well everybody else covered much of what I could add, except for a few things.

#1 -  I also have to concur that an adult cat might be a good match for you, and there are tons of them that are looking for single homes.

#2 - Cats will give back to you what you put into them. If you are not around & want an indepedent cat, they will surely do that. But all of the cats that I have had adapted to my schedule; if I am working a lot, they are more or less on their own. But when I have a few days off & am home, they become crazily needy to me & love me being around.

# The last & most important thing I can add, is that if you are regularly going to be away for 48 hours, you might look into a female cat. Male cats can be prone to urinary blockages (their urethra is smaller in diameter than a females) and if they block when you are away, it could have serious consequences.  A male blocked cat is a high priority and has to get vet attention immediately.

I things cats are phenomenal. They don't need a lot of room, and are tons of fun. Good luck.
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

pegc

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2005, 11:56:58 AM »
I've had cats all my life, currently have 3 ex-feral cats and am with a cat rescue near Montreal.

I would say that if you are going to be away every weekend, you should get two adult cats who are already bonded. Two brothers is generally a very good combination.

To keep away urinary problems, feed neutered males canned food for the majority of their diet.

Right now I have listed on my site two gorgeous adult cats who very much need a home. They are not with our rescue and contact info is on the listing.

They are in Montreal!
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4311284&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=428f5a504a00db6a-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2005, 04:26:26 PM »
Thanks for the input on the wet food. That makes me feel better since our eldest cat mainly eats wet food.

It's true about the dry food. Most of my cats inhale it rather than chew, and one particular cat often regurgitate it because their tummies can't handle the big peices. Chew once, swallow, grab another mouthful. I tell them.. no need to behave JUST like your mom now ;) (me, ok just kidding)

A few years ago I tried to start the cats on a raw food diet. But for me, the hassle of preparing all those meals for all the cats AND the dogs was just too much, and in the end was more expensive for me. I decided that what I was feeding them was the best I could offer them, was given on a REGULAR (daily! gasp!) basis, and was a helluva lot more nutritional than what came out of the garbage cans -- which is a TON better than the situations most of our cats have come from.  It's very easy to get caught up in a food debate regarding cats and dogs, but like redslurpee mentioned you have to decide based on your preference and opinion. Research and choose the foods that are right for you and your cat and their wellbeing. It's not as scary as it seems :) 

Having said that, we have to regularly switch our dry food every 4-6 mos because about 3 years ago the cats got tired of eating the same dry food all the time. Now they set their schedule... at first it was after 4mos, now we've gone for about 7mos on the same food without a protest.  Until very recently. Hah! Just when I think they've decided on a food... ah well.
It usually just takes a change of flavor or brand. Sometimes I'll be able to sneak in a bag of the old stuff every once in awhile but if I do it on a regular basis they stop eating that old food. Finicky creatures, cats. I love em :)

-Melina
-Melina & Crew