Author Topic: Original cheap-as-free toy ideas?  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Katy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • For the Horde!
    • Ked's Journal
Original cheap-as-free toy ideas?
« on: July 05, 2005, 04:57:52 PM »
So, my new boys just got moved into the BIG cage. Lio was so excited, running around sniffing everything, but he's already bored. (Torgo just sniffed around long enough to find his sleepy house and curled up there) I have *counts* 13 bucks on me, need to save 5 bucks to purchase a dojo loach... So I have about 8 bucks to spend on housewarming gifts for the rats ^_^ My normal really cheap toys involve PVC tubing, boxes, things tied to strings.. So, a simple question!!

Anyone have a good random idea of something I can get at the pet store or at home depo, to entertain the rats and congratulate them on the new cage? ^_^ I might buy them some peanut butter or starberry banana yogies, since they're never had those. But a toy would be great to!

Offline Mischief_Love

Re: Original cheap-as-free toy ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 05:12:57 PM »
there are a lot of free toys you can get that are just laying around the house: empty boxes, tissue to nest in, small toys, milk jugs with holes cut in them...You could also get some pvc pipes, baskets, and small cat/dog/plastic baby toys for them for pretty cheap.

RIP:Sampson, Oliver, Dexter, Oreo, Jojo, Lucy,  Autumn, Penny Lane, Eleanor Rigby, CoCo, Jello, & Jude

Offline Katy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • For the Horde!
    • Ked's Journal
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 05:17:31 PM »
As creative as I am, I've never actually thought of milk jugs ^_^

I just remembered a bizarre ceramic vase we have, with holes in the ride. I may go find that.

Offline Ratwings

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Elfwood Art Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 06:53:36 PM »
Two words:

Dollar Store!!

You can get tons of *cheap* rat-friendly stuff there!  Good luck and have fun. :)
~Julie

Offline Ligeia

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
Do you drink soda?  My rats' favorite "toys" are those "fridge boxes" that twelve packs of soda cans come in.  You can leave it closed at the back to make a cave or digging box, or open the back end and make it a tunnel.  Caffeine addict that I am, I have a ton of these laying around.
Rats: All of the best features of "normal" pets in a convenient, easy to carry size.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 12:08:18 PM »

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »
garage sales :)   I have gotten so many toddler toys and hanging baskets there

Offline brandy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 01:06:39 AM »
I keep the boxes from just about any food that comes in it... Things like taco shells, bagel bites, oatmeal cylinders, etc.  My girls always have at least two boxes in their cage, and I change them out once or twice a week as they start to smell.

You can also get cheap fabric from the sale table of any fabric store - $1/yard, one yard will last you a while.  Make hammocks, plus cut up strips to tie to the cage bars so the rats have to chew them down to nest with them.
Brandy 1, cancer 0

Zero rats currently.
RIP: Snickers, Twizzler, Nestle, Valrhona, Cadbury, Elizabeth, Victoria, Artemis, Cassie, Lucy, and Chica.

Offline KittyRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Believe
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 11:22:24 AM »
This thread gives me an idea...We should do a Rat Toy Exchange. kind of like the secret pal exchange, but with toys for the rats. Everyone here has different ideas for this type of thing.  Obviously we wouldnt send a soda box; but stuff like the pvc pipe with holes in the side, or organizer baskets, ladders and other goodies.
Say, no more than a $2.00 or $3.00 toy/cage accessory? Sound good to anyone?
Rats: RIP~Makani Pokani,Cloud,Janis,Rooster,Sphinx,Lily&June
And welcome home Maverick & Goose
Dogs: Lexi & Akima
4 doves Paloma, Gwen, Beau & Breeze

Offline ttiwedas

• Forum Enabler
    • Rat Resources
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 01:17:42 PM »
Another household item I recently thought of for ratties is pringles tubes. You can just cut the metal end off and they are big enough that even the adult rats can get through(my babies are too big to crawl through toilet paper tubes anymore.)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 01:28:14 PM »
The best toy I've got at the dollar store was a huge latte/soup mug. My girls always sleep in it and then the boys come over and lay on top of them and more girls lay on top of them. I was thinking about getting anothe. Also, cheap terracotta or plastic flower pots turned on their side make cool sleep spots for summer.

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 01:35:33 PM »
if you do a swap i would like to participate in it
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .

Offline love2teach