Author Topic: Rat urine.....found something that WORKS!  (Read 15316 times)

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
Rat urine.....found something that WORKS!
« on: July 10, 2005, 05:39:25 PM »
So I've used the Nature's Miracle stuff you get in the pet store off and on for a while and one day one of our reps at work (work is a vet's office) came in with this stuff and said he's used it and swears it works.  Haha, we all know that story right?@!  ???

Guess what?      :o   it works          :shocked2:      The girls in my martins 695 have always had this way of peeing off the top level and low and behold it hits the wall and hence the carpet......i've gone through the whol using plastic around the area to stop it and towels and just doesn't work.  So I tried this stuff from work that the rep wouldn't shut up about and it worked......the name of it is Urine Off.  I think you can only get it through the Butler company but it works.  Just thought I'd share.  I paid for a spray bottle of it $20, decent size bottle.

mamarat2
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline Crazy4Rats

• Arabian Acres
Re: Rat urine.....found something that WORKS!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 01:17:41 PM »
I agree! Nature's Miracle is a wonderful product! I use it too to clean the rat cage and my rabbits litterboxes. It is worth the money, I bought a gallon of it!  ;D

~*MY BABIES*~
LUCY, SOPHIE & ELOISE- Rats
PEANUT & BUSTER- American Chinchilla Rabbit; Dutch Rabbit
SAMMY & DUDLEY- Tabby Cats

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 02:30:40 PM »
Nature's Miracle is not as good as it used to be, they changed the formula to reduce production costs and it doesn't work as well anymore   ::)

I've never heard of Urine Off.  I'll have to look for it.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 03:52:06 PM »
try Petastic if you are not happy with your natures miracle....

http://www.petastic.com/

It works like the old stuff did!  GREAT!

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 04:40:06 PM »
Simple Green works well too. It really dissolves the crusted on pee, and after I clean cages, I can't smell rat anymore.  Plus it's non-toxic and biodegradable.  I don't have to worry about any residue left behind.  It also cleans bathrooms....floors....

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 06:59:31 AM »
I used to use nature's miracle 5+ years ago, and went back to it only recently (been trying more natural methods like vinegar and baking soda, hot water, etc).. I noticed a difference but thought it was just me! 

I should try some of these other things...  if I can find them, lol

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 05:26:54 PM »
Dragon-tamer- I've found Simple Green at Home Depot and some grocery stores.

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 07:21:33 PM »
the Urine Off actually has a website its:               www.urine-off.com
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 12:08:20 PM »
Simple Green works well too. It really dissolves the crusted on pee, and after I clean cages, I can't smell rat anymore.  Plus it's non-toxic and biodegradable.  I don't have to worry about any residue left behind.  It also cleans bathrooms....floors....

You know, I think I'm convinced now to use it. I've been using vinegar an there's some spots that it doesn't dissolve or even touch on the rat pee. And you know how it gets when you try to wipe it off after it's wet.. the pee stuff gets all sticky and gooey. When this bottle of vinegar is up I might have to try Simple Green. We had some once but I didn't want to use it on the rat cages in case it could hurt them. My family will appreciate the house not smelling like a salad anymore and my burned eyes and nose will thank me too I'm sure.

Offline zooat113

• when the going gets tough, take a nap!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 05:59:11 PM »
I saw the Urine Off mentioned in an article but didn't want to run out and get it because I didn't see anyone else using it, maybe I should get some.  What I really want is that black light that lets you see where the spots are!
Happily Owned by:
Wickett the dwarf hamster
Tigg & Gir the tag-team kittens
Freud, Wundt and Pavlov the fuzzybutt rats
Thorndike & Watson the pink wrinklebutt rats

~RIP Pandora~ see you at the bridge you little brat <3

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 03:51:55 AM »
Dragon-tamer- I've found Simple Green at Home Depot and some grocery stores.

I should try home depot today, then..

I checked out simple green's site and it had a list of where it was available.. so I visited some of those places yesterday.

Safeway?  -used to but doesn't carry it anymore (figures)
Staple? -nope
Target? -nope
Walmart?  I won't even go into walmart or near it anymore since my carjacking last year.. so that's out of the question

guess I need to check out home depot now, lol!

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 02:09:15 AM »
I can't use Simple Green, the smell of it takes my breath away (and not in a good way  :cheeky:).
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline Crazy4Rats

• Arabian Acres
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 05:34:43 PM »
I use Simple Green (lemon scent) too along with Natures Miracle. Simple Green is wonderful too! It smells great (like lemons, imagine that) and it is non-toxic and biodegradable. I bought some of their car cleaning products also and like them a lot too- and I don't have to worry about harming the environment. I get my Simple Green from work (Mills Fleet Farm, a Wisconsin store) and Menards.

~*MY BABIES*~
LUCY, SOPHIE & ELOISE- Rats
PEANUT & BUSTER- American Chinchilla Rabbit; Dutch Rabbit
SAMMY & DUDLEY- Tabby Cats

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 05:44:34 AM »
I've always bought my Simple Green from Ace Hardware, both in Chicago and here in Indiana. A big gallon jug, which will last you a LONG time, is $10. Or, if you just want to try it, they have a spray bottle size available too. Simple Green and Bleach are my two MOST favorite cleaners in the whole wide world, no matter WHAT I'm cleaning. :)

-Melina
-Melina & Crew

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 01:31:33 AM »
I have some Simple Green, but never thought of using it on the rat urine before. Will it take the paint off my walls?

Offline trubandloki

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 06:56:46 AM »
I have some Simple Green, but never thought of using it on the rat urine before. Will it take the paint off my walls?

I use it to clean everything and it's not removed any paint.... maybe test a spot first if you are worried. 

It even works great on clothes....

Offline Lmbswimmer

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 07:46:04 AM »
Spencer's sells the black light you are looking for.  It's about $10.00  You want to get the black light that is used in a car.  It's about 10" long and runs off batteries.  That is the "cheap" version of a forensics light.  I have used it in my forensics class.  Everything that is supposed to glow under black light for class glows under that one.  Including about 50% of the ringworm species out there.  Oh, and rat urine definitely shows up...... and cat, and human, don't bring it into a public restroom  :o

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 05:08:57 PM »
We've been using Earth Friendly Products to clean our rat stuff- it's what we use for everything at home, because my poor boyfriend is horribly allergic to some of the chemicals in basically all non-organic, natural cleaning products.

We use the dish soap - http://www.ecos.com/NEWSITE/pages/products/Dishmate%20Almond.html  to clean their hammock and other hangy... sitty... toy thing  (They're made of a hardy fabric and meant for ferrets, so everything washes out really well and doesn't hold soap residue)

We use the orange spray (all purpose cleanser) on their cage and bottom pan:  http://www.ecos.com/NEWSITE/pages/products/orange.html
(The main ingredient for cleansing is orange oil)

I've never had any problems with them- but does anyone know if these might be bad for the ratties?  We recently picked up some cage cleaner/deodorizer spray from PetSmart, but keep forgetting that we have it.  :)

Offline brandy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 11:31:57 AM »
I use Critter Fresh, you can get it at petsmart/petco.  It is terrific for getting the urine smell out of wooden rattie "furniture".
Brandy 1, cancer 0

Zero rats currently.
RIP: Snickers, Twizzler, Nestle, Valrhona, Cadbury, Elizabeth, Victoria, Artemis, Cassie, Lucy, and Chica.

Offline ShantiDass

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 07:24:04 PM »
You know, I think I'm convinced now to use it. I've been using vinegar an there's some spots that it doesn't dissolve or even touch on the rat pee. And you know how it gets when you try to wipe it off after it's wet.. the pee stuff gets all sticky and gooey. When this bottle of vinegar is up I might have to try Simple Green. We had some once but I didn't want to use it on the rat cages in case it could hurt them. My family will appreciate the house not smelling like a salad anymore and my burned eyes and nose will thank me too I'm sure.

That's one of the reasons to follow up the vinegar with hydrogen peroxide.  It bubbles up and takes the funk with it along with the vinegar smell.

Offline RehabRalphy

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 08:31:27 PM »
I also use simple green. I cant take the smell of it. So what I do is spray the little pan and cage with simple green, let it sit for a few minutes, then wash it off with water. And the smell is gone!

I use Natures Miricle for my dogs, I dont like it. Doesnt work at all for me.

Offline hoglana

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 04:39:56 AM »
I have read that Essence of Vanilla is goof? I don't know what that is or where to get it but I have heard people using it when they clean for litter training.

Offline Nelly

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • If my body is a temple it's Deshnok Temple, India
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 05:50:45 PM »
What I really want is that black light that lets you see where the spots are!

I'm not sure that I want to know!  :confused:
Nicky&her beloved furries xx
Cats Steffi&Mac
Rats Turk Noodles Shadow Newt Ripley Tia Halle Berry Tempest Kembali Murphy
At the Bridge :icon_cat: Boris Billie Bimbo Jennyfur Mo; ratties Perdy, Mitts, Mr Pob, Manny, Zemmi, Aimee, Floss Lucy Liu Fargo Riddick Megan Melody Monkey Imogen Brenna Danny

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 10:19:19 PM »
I use simple green and I love it!  The smell gets pretty strong especially if you dont dilute it enough, but I dont care.  It cleans all of my rat stuff and its a good household cleaner.  I use to use bleach but that smell is just way too strong.  Simple green can be strong too but its definately worth it.  Maybe I will have to try some of the urine off stuff as well just to see how it works.
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 11:07:16 PM »

That's one of the reasons to follow up the vinegar with hydrogen peroxide.  It bubbles up and takes the funk with it along with the vinegar smell.

I'd be going through a bottle of peroxide a week cleaning the Ruud cage. :o Anytime I sprayed the vinegar though it would travel EVERYWHERE and very fast so no matter that I did the house reeked on cage cleaning day. I'm happy with the Simple Green now. ;D