Author Topic: Rat urine.....found something that WORKS!  (Read 15308 times)

Offline bkcj88

Re: Rat urine.....found something that WORKS!
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 05:22:51 AM »
Simple Green & Bleach are my 2 favorite cleaners. Simple Green when used at regular strength (not diluted w/water) will get out oil, permanant marker, oil based ink  & etc.  Sometimes it doesn't get it all out but I think it is because I don't let it sit long enough or scrub it enough.
I didn't know it was safe to use in their cages. When I worked at a kennel (many yrs. ago) we use Simple Green & Bleach  to clean the kennels & the outside runs, we even poured it down the drains to keep them clean.
I just thought that it would be to strong for my small babies. So it is safe to use? I'm sorry if this was already asked, I read the post & didn't see it . It's early & I'm going on very little sleep.
Thanks,
Kathy
Dogs: Gabby & Polly  Cats: Leo & a stray  Snakes: Verdi & 
Tanyo  Leo Gecko: Mr. Snickers & Jade  Turtle: Mirtle   
H. Crab: Mr. Biggs  1 Lg. & 1 sm. Fish Tank: Lots of fish
Ratties: Ace (M), Snowball (M), Esperanza ( F), ? (F)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 01:37:07 PM »
I dilute it in hot water for soaking tubes and toys, and use it full strength for scrubbing boy-pee off of the cage.  I rinse stuff afterwards, let it dry and I can barely smell anything at all on the stuff.  If your stuff still smells like it, you may try rinsing in hot water.  I shower my cage liberally with the tap turned up to scalding, and it does the trick.

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »
Won't bleach discolor toys and dark-coloured cages?  I'm mainly worried about toys- like their hammocks and such.

Offline ratzrkool

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 10:14:35 PM »
dilute the bleach with water and the cage (and your hands) will be fine. throw the hammocks in the washing machine and you can wash toys in the dishwasher if you want to get that extra hot water clean
The ratz- Tippy, Spike, and Hazel  
~RIP Mr. C, Timothy, Fink, Dot, & Mo~~(   )8:>
The kats- Senior, Seven (the 24 toed wonder), Padfoot, Voltron and Finn
The dog- Yogi

Offline ashluh

• I want the ocean right now.
    • ashluh.com
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2005, 12:00:11 AM »
How much does Simple Green run?  8)

Offline Kiko

• Happiness is a warm rattie
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2005, 06:12:43 PM »
I got a very decent sized spray bottle (32 fl. oz.) at Menards for a little under $4, I think (I think it was like $3.56 or something around there... total plus tax is still much cheaper than most products out there that are advertised as urine cleaners for pets!)

Offline andrea1970

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 01:37:18 AM »
Another option for washing cloth items is sports wash.  It's sold for hunters to wash their clothes in so there is no "scent" to alert the game.  It has no dyes or perfumes and leaves no residue.   We buy ours at Walmart in the sporting department -- it's fairly cheap.  But for the most part, it does an excellent job getting out stains and odors.  My husband is a hunter and he's thrown his camos in the wash covered in all sorts of nasty stuff and they come out perfectly clean.  I've used it on peed-on bedsheets and undies during potty training and it seems to do a good job getting the smell out.

And I can't imagine it's any more harmful for the ratties than Tide!!!

And I have used the simple green to get grease spots out of the concrete in the garage!!!
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."  -- Thomas Jefferson
Andrea DeJarnett

Offline Scamp

• Posts Too Much!
  • Cannot Resist Warm Fuzzies
    • My Livejournal
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2005, 12:16:24 AM »
I'm another Urine Off convert. I used to use Nature's Miracle, but-- gosh, does Urine Off work wonders.  I've been doing lots of fostering of wild baby critters recently, and I have yet to find a urine smell that stood up to it.
Sara and Ossie the Tiltyrat...
Rattie-Heaven kids: Pippin, Merry, Whiskers, Stubb, Stitch, Kupo, Noe, Mae-Mae, and Pudge.

Offline Corliss_Gallows

• Owned by the Furbabies
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2005, 03:39:07 PM »
Where I used to work (Petsmart) we used this chemical called Lemon Quat. It would make you gag and cough because it was so strong, but it worked really well. Only wish I snuck some home...heh

I used dishwashing stuff for my boys cage, seems to work fine with a scrubby brush. But heres a question...what get the red booger stains off walls?

Offline Fnordia

• You rang?
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2005, 02:28:14 PM »
Red booger stains?

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2005, 04:38:21 PM »
LOL  I know exactly what you mean!  I usually use a warm washcloth, just water and wipe the wall down every week or so, seems to keep the red staining to a minimum.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org