Author Topic: Do You Think...Edit op's on prevue cage?  (Read 3445 times)

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
Do You Think...Edit op's on prevue cage?
« on: August 07, 2005, 02:01:53 PM »
That The Rat Highrise by Martins would be ok for 4 rats (one who is older)? All but one are girls on the small side. I just can not get this cage cleaned easily, I have to bring it outside as we only have a stand up shower and our current cage will not fit in there. Once the baby comes and it is cold outside, I don't know HOW I will get the cage cleaned! I need something more square-ish to fit in the shower, but still big enough for my ratties. Oh yeah and it needs a metal bottom. Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 03:15:23 PM by -Kelly- »
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
Re: Do You Think...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 02:06:07 PM »
Nevermind, I just put the dimesnions into the cage calculator and it said it can fit 1 point something rats in it! Man! I am strapped for cash and the smallest I can get on martins is The Rat Tower which is like $72.00 for PC'd. Anyone have one they don't want and would like to sell for a discount?
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline jixie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 02:37:57 PM »
You can build a cage for a lot less. An inexpensive home built cage will not look as pretty as one you can buy, but when you can't (or don't want to) spend a whole lot of money, then size is certainly more important that looks. There are a lot of posts here about building simple, inexpensive hardware cloth (wire mesh) cages. Galvanized is cheaper but some people have had problems with it getting very stinky, PVC coated will keep the wire from absorbing urine and is easier to wipe clean, but some rats will strip the plastic off the wire. Another option is simpler to build, much heavier cage but a little more expensive, is to make one with panels of pvc coated wire pantry shelves. I built my first rat cage out of those, it's 3' high and big enough for 3-4, and cost around $40.

Another option would be to check yard sales, of course every place is different but were I live there are always cages & tanks to be found, most aren't suitable for rats but have found some nice bird, ferret, and rabbit cages that can be adapted to rats.

Jixie

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 02:55:41 PM »
sometimes you can find some good cages on ebay that you can adapt too.

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 03:00:27 PM »
I could never build a cage right now, with the little energy I have, it would take ages! (Not to mention I tried building one before and failed horribley) LOL. I am searching eBay but most of them have plastic bottoms, so I am out of luck so far.

I may have to spend the $ on a Martins unless i can find a good one on eBay.

Edit: Ok, so I was looking at the PH cages, they have a grate on the bottom, so maybe the girls couldn't chew through the plastic if I left the grate there. I of course would have tons of hammocks and stuff for them to play/rest on. Dave works at a pet store and gets a discount so I would have to check into how much it'd be. Does anyone else have experience with this cage?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 03:13:55 PM by -Kelly- »

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
Re: Do You Think...Edit op's on prevue cage?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 01:42:18 PM »
they are a good sized cage I've seen them before, but those have 1/2" x  1" floors, so you would have to cover them with something.

You could also spend some money on a large plastic bin and make sure the cage sits IN the bin, not ON the bin. I have the same problem with my older girls as they will chew through the plastic bottom, and now have a galvanized pan which REEKS.

You could ordera metal (or HD plastic pan) from martins and use another cage, or build your own with that base.
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline twistedlittle-puppy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 10:36:48 PM »
i have that exact cage, and the wire floor is removable. here are some pros and cons:
pros:
-removable shelves=easier to clean
-hard to escape doors
-not flimsy at all

cons:
-the shelves and especially the ladders are easy to remove. my girls can just lift the ladders right up with thier heads. i'm constantly fixing up the ladders and shelves
-the top is weird. it pops loose when anything remotely heavy sits on top (heavy as in hardcover, medium sized book).
-there is a lip around the base, where the wire floor would rest, and stuff collects there. there's lots of spillage when you lift the wire cage out of the base
-the yellow/white locks on the sides are useless. they will pop off, snap off, and you absolutely should not rely on them when lift the whole cage from the top

overall, it's a decent cage, but there are better ones out there. hope this helps

Offline Tracy

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 07:46:09 AM »
I had the prevue and I absolutely hated it.
The levels were easy to remove by the rats themselves. You can't really switch the levels around either. So much room and no full floors.
The rats CAN escape. There are certain areas where the bars are wider. My cage came with criss crossing zip ties in those spots since the previous cage owner had had so many issues with the rats slipping by.
The pan isn't that durable.
The snap on things WILL break on you. It's not an if, it's when. So buy some bungee cord ahead of time.
I'm not sure about the floor spacing but unlike a Martins where the poop fell to the bottom, it wouldn't in my prevue cage. The width spacing is thinner. My guys were clean freaks and would throw the poop out of the cage if they were on the top floor or carry them to the edge and throw down. I'd always find poo mashed in between the levels. I had to clean it more often than my martins.
Once I saw the powdercoated Martins, I gave my cage to the Ark.  My rats were happier too.
What does not change is the will to change.
Rescue Rats Looking for Love

"People who want their Children to experience the Miracle of BIRTH should first come to an animal shelter and Witness the Sadness of Death/Euthanasia"

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 05:28:51 PM »
Hmmm...ok, maybe not such a good idea then. the search continues...

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 09:40:24 PM »
I had the prevue and I absolutely hated it.
The levels were easy to remove by the rats themselves. You can't really switch the levels around either. So much room and no full floors.
The rats CAN escape. There are certain areas where the bars are wider. My cage came with criss crossing zip ties in those spots since the previous cage owner had had so many issues with the rats slipping by.
The pan isn't that durable.
The snap on things WILL break on you. It's not an if, it's when. So buy some bungee cord ahead of time.
I'm not sure about the floor spacing but unlike a Martins where the poop fell to the bottom, it wouldn't in my prevue cage. The width spacing is thinner. My guys were clean freaks and would throw the poop out of the cage if they were on the top floor or carry them to the edge and throw down. I'd always find poo mashed in between the levels. I had to clean it more often than my martins.
Once I saw the powdercoated Martins, I gave my cage to the Ark.  My rats were happier too.

have to agree with everything tracy said. and now the prevue cage she bought sits int he back of the storage facility, we havent used them in 3-4 yrs :)

i hate the cages. stuff gets stuck, theres virtually no usable space, nothing fits (the "footprint" is so small, you cant fit a big igloo and a wheel there without them hitting most of the time, especially if the rats move at all). the spacing is large, so thin/small animals can get out, and like tracy says - by the doors especially, its wider.

i wouldnt waste any money on that.

how about a marchioro?
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
Had one, my girls chewed through the bottom! I LOVED my marchioro! I had changed it up to be a 2 story by zip tying another marchioro cage top of the same size the the first one. It was great.