Author Topic: R-670 or R-600 Pictures PLEASE?  (Read 4926 times)

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
R-670 or R-600 Pictures PLEASE?
« on: August 25, 2005, 06:10:23 PM »
Does anyone have one? Since I have 3 female ratties left now (RIP Dax :'( ) , one of which is petite, and one of which is older (not so active), do you think I could get away with an R-670?

The cage calc says 2.333333333333333333333 rats (assuming 2 cu. per rat)

I just really need something I can clean easily. I figure if I'm going to spend the $, maybe I should get a Martins. And it's within my price range at $56.00
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 06:32:26 PM by -Kelly- »
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
Re: R-670
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:23:51 PM »
I have a 670, but I only use it for a temp cage during quarantine and intros.  personally I think it is too small for a permanent cage for three rats.

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
Re: R-670
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 06:30:58 PM »
Hmmmm...I was looking through the rat pics (stickied) and someone here has one. It didn't look too bad.  It's between that ot the R-600 which seems taller but skinner.

Does anyone who has either of these cages have pics? I usually buy cages on impulse and I really want to see them setup first before shelling out the $65.00 (I know -- big spender)

Sybil is old and has a tumor, she probably won't be around MUCH longer (not that I'm happy about it) but basically I am preparing to keep my two young girls who will be left (big age gap between Sybil and NOva & Zella) in this cage.

Picture...pleeeease?
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
Re: R-670 or R-600 Pictures PLEASE?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 07:00:12 PM »
Neither the R-600 or R-600 HR are suitable for rats at all. They are more mouse sized cages. Only good for .6875 and 1.375 rats each, respectively.

At the top of the Cage section you'll find this thread which contains a side by side comparison of Martin's cages with the number of rats it's suitable for already calculated.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:50:50 PM by menagerie »
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 08:01:08 PM »
Uhmmm yeah, what Menagerie said.  At the top of this section ...

Personally, I wouldn't even keep two rats in a 670, and the 600 is even SMALLER ...

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:18:52 PM »
Ugh...it is so hard to see from the pics on their website. The R-670 came up with 2 point something rats on the cage calc.

So even the R-670 isn't suitable?

Man I thought I finally found a cage!

Offline CampRhubarb

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 08:28:19 PM »
I use the R-670 for my two sick older girls.  There is plenty of room for a wheel on one wall and a low hanging hammock gives more "floor" space.  I also have a little tykes boat thingy in the bottom and a litter pan... so they have all the fun stuff still.   I lined one shelf with wood laminate flooring (they don't chew either).  They seem ok with it since they don't get around so easy anymore anyway.  I would definitely not recommend it for younger active ratties though.
Boots, Juju, Delia, Lyra, Hope, Faith, Eloise, and Myrtle

Offline Adventure Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • Moose says, "Get in my Belly"
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 02:03:45 PM »
Spring the extra $15.00 and get the 680. It's great cage for 3 rats. The 670 has steep ramps and old rats don't do so well. I have one and it just has an single rat in there. It maybe ok for 2 but only if they get tons of out time. The 680 is very roomy. I have one with 2 rats in it but I'd do 3 girls if need be.

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 08:45:56 PM »
I love the 670... I think it's a good cage for two young rats... Plus, I think it is by far the easiest martin's cage to clean (we currently have a lone male living in ours)

However, it does have steep ramps and lots of "open" space in the middle that would be easy for old rats to take a fall...

I'd stay away from the 600 -- It is, imo, a mouse cage. The doors are very small and the openings are itty bitty. Very cramped and uncomfortable. I wouldn't even put a lone rat in it.

For three old rats, I'd personally suggest the martin's large ferret carrier. It's what I am considering for my three old rats right now if I end up putting the chinchilla in their 435. It's collapsible, so it'll be easy to clean and it's only got one balcony with a nice ramp that will be much easier for old ratties. Plus, for the PVC coated one, it's $1 cheaper than a powder-coated 670.

Offline Adventure Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 09:46:40 AM »
I never noticed the Large Ferret carrier. That's a great cage for the money!!! It has the same foot print as the 695...nice for 3 older rats!!!

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 11:02:58 AM »
*off to look at the ferret carrier*

But only one of my rats is old, the other 2 are adults.

I am really liking the 670...I may just get it, I've looked at some people's pictures on here and I think my 2 girls who are petite would be fine in it. Sybil is older, but still can climb, she just isn't very active as much, she loves her hammocks. 

It seems like the best deal for the money, I looked at the superpet cage again last night at DH's work, but it's expensive and the martins seems so much better for the price.

I'll definately stay away from the 600, I wonder why they have that up there as a rat cage. of ocurse I bet it's better than some of the cages people keep rats in.

I used to push the smallest marchioro on people who were buying rats at the pet store I worked at, it was either that or a 10 gallon tank, so I figured it was the better of 2 evils.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 11:09:33 AM by -Kelly- »

Offline Wishing4Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • I used my wings, and mommy cried.
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 04:00:11 AM »
Here's the R670:

(That was before decorations and inhabitant, I think :))

I house just Darren in it, and it's good for him. I'd give him more space if I could, though, just for more toys and things to do. But it is enough room for him, and he seems quite content. :) My friends housed three girls in it at one point (when one was getting older- similar to your situation). With them being young, and girls, bigger would've been better. But they weren't overweight or unhappy, and it did suit it's purpose combined with free roam time. However, if the next size up is only a little more expensive, I would recommend it (the 690 is actually what I've been trying to get for Darren). The 670 is a breeze to clean (I'm short and petite- and weak  ;D- and handle it perfectly), and I bet the next size up isn't much/any harder. :) Good luck with your decision! Remember that with baby coming the rats will probably have less free roam time, so even if it's a little more to clean, the extra space will be important. :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:04:26 AM by Wishing4Rats »
~Kalena

Offline elle

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 04:36:57 PM »
*off to look at the ferret carrier*

But only one of my rats is old, the other 2 are adults.

I am really liking the 670...I may just get it, I've looked at some people's pictures on here and I think my 2 girls who are petite would be fine in it. Sybil is older, but still can climb, she just isn't very active as much, she loves her hammocks. 

It seems like the best deal for the money, I looked at the superpet cage again last night at DH's work, but it's expensive and the martins seems so much better for the price.

I'll definately stay away from the 600, I wonder why they have that up there as a rat cage. of ocurse I bet it's better than some of the cages people keep rats in.

I used to push the smallest marchioro on people who were buying rats at the pet store I worked at, it was either that or a 10 gallon tank, so I figured it was the better of 2 evils.

Just because it's good for old rats, doesn't mean it's only for old rats...

It has more floor space (more space for toys) and is larger cubic-footage wise than the 670... And it's a dollar cheaper. It also looks to me like it will stay cleaner longer since there is less "up" space for rats to pee down from.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 05:02:47 PM »
I had to go see which one you were talking about, Elle:

Large Ferret Carrier (CC-3018)

* 30" x 18" x 18"
    * Flip-top opening
    * Drop-in plastic pan
    * 1 ramp and balcony
    * Collapses flat and stores inside pan

$55 pvc coated

interesting!  I'd never noticed that one before ...

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 06:02:50 PM »
Do you think it is high anough for them? I guess they DO get alot more floor space though.

Let me go look and see how much that one would cost me with shipping.

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 12:21:59 AM »
I'd rather have more floor space for them to play on and still have the walls to climb.  And a hammock. and room for an igloo.  and ... well, you get the picture.  :)  AND, it serves great as a 'retirement home'.  :)

Offline Adventure Rats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 11:45:40 AM »
I think that ferret cage is on my list of next cages to get. With so many rescues and so many single older rats a collabsable cage seems soooooo wonderful. Then Scott wouldn't be on my ass all the time to toss cages out.