Author Topic: rabbit question  (Read 4023 times)

Offline frostywolf

rabbit question
« on: September 07, 2005, 10:50:17 PM »
At work a rabbit came in to board today, but the owners brought no hay with the bun.  On their boarding intructions it says to feed our hay in addition to it's pellet feed and some veggies.  We don't provide food for exotic boarders as we don't get enough in to warrant keeping it in our food prep area.  It will all go bad.  So, if the bun came in this afternoon, and is going home Friday, is it okay without hay for those couple of days?  We have hay that we can charge the customer for, but we don't want to unless we have to b/c we don't have the client's permission to add it to their bill.  If the rabbit should really have it, I can buy a small bag and just send it home with the rabbit.

What do you think?

Click, please!

Offline lotsorats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: rabbit question
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 11:07:50 PM »
My rabbit will not eat hay no matter what. She seems healthy and happy without it. I would think that it should be fine for a couple days without it.

Offline ShantiDass

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 01:12:20 PM »
If the rabbit is used to hay, there's a good chance it could go into stasis.  Oops, I just read that it will be going home tomorrow.  The bun may be OK if s/he has enough roughage with the veggies.  I can't believe they didn't leave their own hay.  GL.

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »
they really do need their hay for intestinal health... prevents gastrointestinal stasis,  but hopefully the veggies will be enough fiber like mentioned before..

Offline Scratch

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 04:26:07 PM »
Hay is the single most important part of a bunny's diet. If the owners haven't been feeding their bun hay, perhaps giving it to him now will put the idea in their heads.

Offline donna4909

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »
If it says to feed hay in their care instructions, I'm pretty sure that would mean that the bunny does get hay. It sounds to me like they just forgot to bring it.