Author Topic: "Lone" rat is bored... but she's the only one  (Read 1639 times)

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
"Lone" rat is bored... but she's the only one
« on: September 18, 2005, 08:02:46 PM »
I currently have three girls. The older two are content with the playtime/toys I give them. My 8 month old, Stella, is BORED. I take her out, she wants to get away from me. I put her back, she wants back out. I can't seem to think of any toys activities that will keep her occupied. She's just so young, so the others want to sleep while she wants to play. I can't get her a friend her own age, because I don't know whether I will move or not.

Can anyone give advice for her? My other girls are content... they just like to sleep.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
Re: "Lone" rat is bored... but she's the only one
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 12:03:43 PM »
What are her hobbies?  (Gosh, do I feel silly asking that!)  Does she like to chew?  Stash?  Nest?  Long walks on the beach? 

I like to put things just outside the cage bars, and make the rats work for them.  For instance, crinkly paper in a box attached to the outside of the cage bars.  They're pretty determined in getting it all into the cage.  Toilet paper roll pinatas last about 5 seconds.  Unshelled nuts are hours of gnawing fun.  Until you get so ticked off at 3 a.m. you confiscate them. 

Are you able to work some extra out time into your schedule for her?
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »
I do have fabric outside the cage for them. She just wants to go free range, really, which I can't really let her do. Her ultimate playtime would be to get into all the stuff in my bedroom that is off limits. I do take her out when the others are asleep, but she doesn't seem satisfied with that.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline Ligeia

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 06:07:49 PM »
Do you have any room outside the cage where she can run?  It sounds like Stella just wants to stretch her legs a bit. 

I have a bored little boy right now.  He lives alone in a small cage because he is still small enough to escape the big cage.  So, between living alone and not having room for very many toys, the boredom must have been driving him nuts.  One thing that helped: I cut the top off of a one gallon Gatorade jug and melted the sharp edges a little with a lighter.  Then I poked two holes close together in one of the wider sides to string a short chain through.  I attached a wooden chew toy to the chain with a zip tie and put the new toy in the cage.  Fuzz loves it.  I can hear the chew toy banging against the sides of the jug in the middle of the night and he tries to pull it free.  Plus, the top of the jug adds a new level to an otherwise cramped cage.

Which "off limits" toys seem to be Stella's favorites?  If you can give her something that simulates her favorite off limits things, maybe it will keep her from wanting to go where she shouldn't.
Rats: All of the best features of "normal" pets in a convenient, easy to carry size.