Author Topic: OMG NO!  (Read 10288 times)

Offline Girlie559

• Coco February 2nd, 1988-November 6th 2002
OMG NO!
« on: April 05, 2003, 02:06:54 PM »
I always hear stories of rats getting tumors and all but I never really thought about it. My own Tikka has one now. I have been crying all today but I must be strong for her.

To All Who think it wont happen to them, It might, please, check often, you dont want to wake up one morning with an unpleasant surprise
Forget Diamonds, Ratties are a girls best friend!

deniseratlover

Re:OMG NO!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 02:41:32 PM »
My rat Carmel had a tumor. I had it removed, but I'm going to keep checking. My vet said spaying wouldn't help at this point because the chain reaction has been set into motion. Luckily she won't get another one. Where is hers?

Good luck.

Offline Girlie559

• Coco February 2nd, 1988-November 6th 2002
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 04:13:16 PM »
Her tumor is right below her ear, just above her throat. :-\ :'(
Forget Diamonds, Ratties are a girls best friend!

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 04:23:46 PM »
Have you gone to the vet?
Sometimes tumors form there because of an inner ear infection...

Denise, how old is your rat? I've never heard of it being too late for a spay. Emergency spays still help, though it's always better to get spays done when they're about 4-6 months old.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline SugarPlum

• Posts Too Much!
  • You wanna another yogie!?!?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 07:55:57 PM »
    I know how you feel, its trouble. I am going through the same thing right now with both my girls. I hope everything can be taken care of and Tikka doesnt have any more problems.
...Live like theres no tomorrow, you never know which breath will be your last...

Ensie

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 08:07:35 PM »
Before I got Mocha and Smores spayed, I emailed Debbie about whether a spay would make a difference with mammary tumors, considering that Smores is over a year old. She said that yes, it would make a difference. One of my vets didn't think a spay would help a rat that's already gone through a heat cycle, but I'm going to go with what Debbie says. Not all vets know as much as Debbie about rats.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 10:35:16 PM »
I'd take her to the vet to check for the possibility it's an abcess and not a tumor.  An abcess is infinitely more treatable...  :)  

stripedrats

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 11:15:40 PM »
My Carly went through the entire process. I found a huge lump that was growing incredibly fast, the vet diagnosed it as a mammary tumor, she got it removed, and got spayed. Carly is over a year, about 1 yr, 5 months, and I hope she doesn't get another one. Hope all goes well with yours! Good luck!

Offline sagsgerbils

• Splinter
    • Prospect Street Rattery
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 01:00:51 AM »
:(

i know i check my brats often for any kinds of growths, bumps, or lumps.

i hope for the best to you and your Tikka..
Sarah and the Rats of Prospect Street Rattery
The girls: Mary Jane, Levina, Abby, Uno, Daisy Mae, Taylor, Mya, Icon, Pixel, Chiara, Josephine, Allie, Squirt, Kenzi, Blinkie and Fiona
The boys : Jesse, Psycho, Rascal, Kody, Rudy, Oliver, Splinter, Chopper, Dylan, Chester, and Keeper Jeremiah.

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 01:55:32 AM »
That's an off place for a tumor. I bet it's an abscess. See if she'll let you feel it and maybe squeeze to see if it actually is an abscess. Tumors are not death sentences. Salem just had a "mass" as the vet said removed and he's fine. :)