Author Topic: When it rains it POURS!!  (Read 7565 times)

Offline SugarPlum

• Posts Too Much!
  • You wanna another yogie!?!?
When it rains it POURS!!
« on: April 05, 2003, 07:23:50 PM »
    Its long, so I'll thank you for reading it in advance.
    The RFC was down at a really bad time for me. Paisly get a fast growing tumor. I went to three vets till one took the job (it was in a bad place). For Paislys tumor removal and spay in was $450, it was on Thursday. After the surgery Paisly's leg was not working right and she was dragging it, she looked like a deflated balloon (which I did see till I was home because she was lying down) and the Dr. was not in and he said not to give me meds for Paisly. I am have a heart-a-attack because I realized Paisly has not herself when we got home. So I call babyblue for help and she finds out how much pain meds I have give her, hoping that would help. Then the next day Paisly using her leg a little better, and now it almost total better. But she took out her stitches, which I freaked out about, till my dad said the vet said that might happen and not to worry about there is three layers of them. Worst yet she is not the loving, licky, cuddly girl that she was.
   On top of this today I felt a tumor on Lola :o only a week after I found one on Paislys. And the vet cannot do the surgery till next Thursday, and that will be another $450.
    I never thought that in the first month of getting my girls so many problems would arise.
    In addition this lady I have been talking to is now telling me the she is going to give her 26 rats to a reptile museum as "dinner" >:(, and there is no way I can take them all it. And she would tell me the condition they are in health wise, but I know they are in tanks that are not big enough and living on dog food.
    Hopefully I'll be getting my boy this weekend, it'll be the only good thing that has happen to me in 2 weeks. He needs to get neutered as well, thank g-d babyblue is going to help be with that.
    With all said and done I've, cough cough, my dad is/going to have spent over $1000 within the last few weeks on my babies. So I am going to take my summer vacation of rest and work this summer.
    I feel so bad and gulity beacuse if all the money I have spent and the rats lives that will be lost. I feel so bad!! :'(
...Live like theres no tomorrow, you never know which breath will be your last...

Ensie

Re:When it rains it POURS!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 07:29:37 PM »
Don't feel bad, SugarPlum. You can only do so much. And you are already doing a LOT more than some people I know (where I live). I admire you for wanting to repay your dad. In the meantime, just love the ratties you have with all you've got in you.

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 08:02:46 PM »
What Ensie said.

Also, Paisely is probably just irritable because she's not feeling very comfy. After everything heals I'm sure she'll go back to being her cuddlesome self.
Just be sure to keep the incision clean to prevent infection. Is she on any Baytril? I light dose once or twice day would also help prevent infection.
I know how it feels to have everything happen at once. I'm really glad that you have such an awesome Dad who supports you. Things will get better, they just don't seem like it right now.

*hugs*
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline SugarPlum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 08:26:32 PM »
   Thanks for the support, it really does help :). I know/hope it will get better, but its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel for now.
   As for the baytril I called the vet who did the surgery and another vet (Dr. Saver, who several people on the board go to; also they both know other each) and they both said that it was a very "clean" surgery and that anything was needed.
   I was thinking though should I put neosporin on the incisions? The stitches are out for the spay (which the Dr said was ok; the three layer thing covers that) but will putting neosporin on the spay incision open it? Because she will probably lick it more and it will moist the the incision. And should I put it on the tumor removal incision, which she is not touching? Will it make her more likely to take the stitchs out.  
Thank again,
Mary
...Live like theres no tomorrow, you never know which breath will be your last...

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 09:54:18 PM »
I wouldn't try it. You know rats, they love to lick neosporin off and you don't want her opening anything else up or opening her incision more! oO;

I think keep the cage extra clean and keeping an eye on it will be enough.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Rose

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodentia Dementia!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 06:04:35 AM »
Hang in there.  Rats are so worth it.  
Beware of SARS-Suddenly Acquired Rat Syndrome

Offline SugarPlum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 12:03:45 PM »
   Things are looking better. Blue is home now, he's so huge, I just love big boys. I am going to get Lola spayed and tumor removed on Thursday, and Blue neutered sometime this week. Paisly is starting to turn around as well. So everything is looking up, for now at least. :D

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 12:12:03 PM »
Hang in there, it DOES get better!! And you'll be rewarded MANY times over for being such a wonderful rat mommy.  BTW, your dad sure deserves a TON of yogies and kisses for being so wonderful in this situation also...... he's an incredible role model.   :)

Offline ckhs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Get past the tail, give rats a chance
    • Any Rat Rescue
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 12:13:17 PM »
Im sorry for your troubles. It might help you to know just about all of us have had the same kind of woe's and were still here.
You are doing a wonderful job with your ratties and should be very proud of yourself. It's clear you want whats best for your babies and that you are willing to make a few sacrafices to ensure their wellbeing. That makes you tops in my book. Great job.
Im sure your dad is very proud.